“Pleased!”

Ranked #47 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Swansea, South Carolina, United States
“Pleased!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Suites. The hotel is reasonable priced compared to other hotels in the Historic District. The hotel is a few blocks away from the main historic district but certainly within walking distance if you have no mobility issues. Other reviewers commented on the low income housing across the street from the hotel but never did we feel uncomfortable or unsafe walking to and from the hotel; whether day or night. We literally walked every where! The free parking on-site is a plus as most hotels in the hotel district that we looked at did not have on-site parking or only offered valet parking. The rooms were clean and having the separate seating area with a couch was a nice change. The staff were very pleasant as well. This was my first trip to Savannah! I was pleased with the beautiful city and the hotel and will certainly return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christi J
ComforSuitesHistoric, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Historic District, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear Christi,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel. We take great pride in our facility and truly enjoy hearing positive feedback from guest like your. I am happy to know you and your husband enjoyed your time in Savannah, GA and plan to return in the future.

Hope to have you and your husband as a guest in our hotel when you return.

Warm Regards,
Kristen

P.S. I am happy to know you enjoyed the free on-site parking as well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
West Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My wife and I were in Savannah visiting family and stayed here for a date night. Its a nicely kept hotel. It is about 4 blocks to the historic district, so if you have a problem with walking take this into consideration. Its a smoke free hotel. We spent our afternoon and evening enjoying River St. and the Market so we only used our suite and none of the hotels other amenities. when returning from our evening out we noticed a security guard walking around the parking lot. I travel for work and often stay in the Comfort Inn chain and would recommend this hotel for its Value, Comfort, and Cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carl D
Newark, Ohio
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Comfort Inn and Suites Historic District in Savannah was a great place to stay. For the price, it was only two blocks from River street/Historic District and worth the savings to not be just one block over, right in the middle of town where most other hotels were. We walked everywhere, close to everything and always felt safe. I would stay at Comfort Suites again if I went back to Savannah. Staff was very pleasant also. Very clean and nice hotel, not a negative thing to say about it.

3 Thank VJustice
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Recently our family (traveling with two small children ages 5 and 6), visited Savannah for a weekend getaway. We chose the Comfort Suites Historic District as our hotel. While just on the fringe of the historic district, the hotel was close enough to enable us to walk to most attractions. (Be aware, that this hotel advertises itself as being in the historic district, but is in fact on the very outskirts making it a difficult walk for someone with mobility issues or with very young children. It also does not feel very safe after dark, although in the morning it seemed fine)

Upon check in the Front Desk clerk was very friendly and expedient in getting us checked in and giving me information on the events I had planned for the following days. I was however, quite dismayed, that after a 7 hour drive I was required to carry all of our luggage up 3 flights of stairs. Anyone who has traveled with a 5 and 6 year old knows that you do not travel light, so after seven hours in the car this was quite an undertaking. My 5 year old was already asleep, so I had to carry her up three flights of stairs.This was all precipitated by a minor adjustment being made to the door of the hotels one elevator. The elevator maintenance tech had arrived at the same time we were checking in, and rather than asking him to wait until we moved our things upstairs, we were told we should wait in the lobby until he was done. Not very good customer service, especially given the fact that I was trying to carry my very heavy 5 year old and juggle a purse and suitcase. To make matters worse, there are no interior stairs. In order to use the stairs, one must exit the hotel and enter through an exterior door facing what can only be described as a section of Savannah's beautiful Section 8 public housing. Needless to say my desire to expose my family to this after dark was minimal, and this experience gave us an immediate negative impression, especially after seeing the people from the public housing across the street hanging out and conducting "transactions". We did not know that this hotel would be right across from such an undesirable neighborhood.

After getting ourselves to our room we found it to be both clean and nicely appointed, a bit smaller than expected given the "Suites" moniker but nice nonetheless. My main concern, comes in the form of two issues. The beds were horrible, I don't know what to say other than my government issued rack in the USMC was 100x more comfortable. The pillows were small and quite reminiscent of lumpy bench seat cushions. The bed was definitely Extra Extra Firm and could be termed unforgiving. This may have been tolerable for sleeping had sleep been possible. Beginning around 230 am, our stay here turned into a nightmare. The ridiculous amount of all night door slamming and running around in the hallway made sleep quite impossible. After repeated calls to the front desk and my children being awakened every fifteen minutes we gave up and turned on the television. This was all made worse by the fact that around 4am, the odor of marijuana began drifting underneath our door from what I assume was the room next door. Apparently they were not done partying after the bars closed. I understand this was a Saturday night, but unfortunately, the management's unwillingness to address this issue (despite there being a uniformed "security guard" drinking coffee in the lobby all night) cost my family and I our ability to get a good nights sleep before our last morning in Savannah and subsequent 7 hour drive home. I could have gotten better sleep in a frat house.

The breakfast in the morning was good, and was the one highlight of our stay here. There was hot food (including waffles), and everything tasted good and the serving area was clean and well-maintained.

All in all, quite a disappointing experience and one we will not make the mistake of repeating. Unfortunately, this was a last minute trip and we had to book quickly. For a few dollars more, and I do mean just a few more, we could have enjoyed the Hampton with wonderful beds, a quiet atmosphere, a management staff that cared about its guests, and the all important feeling of safety when traveling with your family.

Be cautious of booking this hotel on the weekends - management does not enforce any noise rules whatsoever!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Gwendolyn M
Savannahcomfort, General Manager at Comfort Suites Historic District, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. The problem with the elevator was more than a minor adjustment; the technician had been called out at that late hour to make a necessary repair and needed to make a few more adjustments to the door prior to releasing it for guests use. I am sorry that this information was not properly conveyed to you.

We did have issues with a rowdy group that night and our security guard was attempting to rectify the situation, but it should have been handled faster. Our guests comfort, safety and satisfaction are our main concern and we do take it very seriously.

I hope that you will contact me personally so that I can discuss this further with you and we will be refunding your credit card for the nights charge. We would very much like you to stay with us again so that we can prove to you that we are a great hotel and that we do care about our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns as well as the good points of your stay, it is most appreciated.

David Moore
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel right on the outskirts of the Historic District. You can easily walk the 2 blocks without much concern though the neighborhood in-between is a bit depressed. The hotel itself was wonderful. The rooms were very nice and the staff is very pleasant, helpful, and professional! We would definitely return!

2 Thank jkennedykelly
East TN
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The suite was spacious with high ceilings, looked and smelled clean, and it was on ground level, making it convenient for anyone traveling with their dog. There was a nice side yard with plenty of room to walk the dog. I would recommend it to anyone visiting beautiful Savannah.

• Stayed April 2011
edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had the opportunity to stay at this hotel from September 5-8th I had read the reviews before staying at the hotel and read the concerns......rest assured a person should not have any concerns whatsoever. The 2 block walk to the historic district is great whether coming back from a late night dinner or going for an early morning walk. The management should be very pleased with the staff that they have....everyone made us feel very welcome. This was our first visit to Savannah, but will not be our last. When we return the next time we plan to stay at this location. It is a great bonus to have the free parking.....David it was great to meet you and your staff...thank you

Room Tip: 309 was great, faced west close to the elevator, very quiet