“Decent Hotel”

Comfort Suites Historic District
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This hotel is on the edge of the Historic District.
Anyone visiting Savannah should know that they are reclaiming the historic district; however, there are still sketchy neighborhoods. Unfortunately, this hotel is on the border of historic and sketchy. There are quite a few times I did feel unsafe.

There were no parties, no conventions, nothing going on when we went; however, due to the price and the location, this hotel attracted the type of guest that don't care of others. Nothing happened, but the door slamming and the people who didn't have shirts or shoes walking around with a beer was kind of disturbing.

The location is within walking distance to River Street and it's activities. The rest of Savannah (up and down Bull Street) is quite a treck.

If you gay, or want to go to the gay club, Club One is a hop-skip and a jump. If this bothers you, don't worry, it isn't an in-your-face kind of club.

One thing you must know. This is a climate controlled hotel. There is a sign in the hotel room that says that if no one is in the room, then they make it room temperature. To me, this is wrong. I know they are not monitoring via video, but it kind of took away from my sense of privacy. The hotel does not need to personally know when I am in the room or when I am not. And I do like my room cold, frigid even, esp in the heat of Savannah's Summers

There is a lot to do around this property; however, we just didn't care for the neighborhood and the other guests.

Last but not least, be very careful to review paperwork before you give them your credit card. Probably and Isolated incident, but they did not honor my AAA discount, and instead of canceling it out, they ran my card 2 more times, which held up funds for our trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ndmjax78
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites Historic District

Reviewed August 24, 2011

this place was excellent. Such a great relief after staying at an econo lodge in another city the night before that was horrible. The rooms were large and comfy. Wiithin walking distance to Riverwalk where you can get on the trolley to the other end of the riverwalk. My only con would be the pool. Wish it would have had an outside pool....the inside pool was very warm and had tons of chemicals in it as our eyes were hurting after only a few minutes in it.

1  Thank amy m
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Full disclosure - I am a Choice Privileges member which means I stayed here for free on points. I always begin my free Choice Hotel stay reviews with the question - Would I have paid and been satisfied? Answer for this hotel is Yes. Clean. Quiet. Friendly. Safe from what we were able to assess. Not exactly in the historic historic but certainly not as far away as some reviewers make it sound. It is walkable - although I would not recommend it with young children or people who have a difficult time walking. Very short drive to a lot/garage though. Your average Choice Hotels breakfast until 10am (some only offer until 9am). Nice indoor pool. Kids loved it. Hot tub looked like it could use a scrubbing though. I did not allow the kids in. Tour trolley picks up from hotel if you want an easy way to see the city on limited time. Will drop you off at certain stops and pick you back up. Can't recall the cost exactly but I remember thinking it would cost my family of 5 about $90 so we didn't do it. Desk help was nice. Asked for a late check-out which they would not agree to. I was surprised and slightly annoyed by this due to the fact that as a choice Member I am supposed to be guaranteed a late check out if I request it. They were apologetic about it.

2  Thank tvpromo
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the return trip from St Augustine. The location should not be listed as in the historic district as it was blocks away. The location was not at all ideal which was the reason we felt unsafe. There was a low-rent apartment complex directly across the street from the hotel which looked kind of scarey. One positive note I would like to point out is the folks at the hotel desk were super nice and friendly. There are acrylic signs in the hotel rooms which direct you to notify the hotel of any concerns you may have before you review the hotel. This seemed like an indication they are aware of the situation. There were huge stains on the carpet in the halls. The room and bathroom appeared to be clean but there were some stains on the walls that could have been washed off. We left after one night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We just returned from a spure of the moment trip to Savannah, having never been there before and with no prior hotel reservations. NIght staff lady was very helpful explaining where we were in relation to what we were hoping to see the next day. Shuttle pick up from the hotel and takes you downtown which is very close, although we did not do this. Room was very clen and beds comfortable, didnt hear any outside street noise or other room noises. Breakfast was a great was to start the day, very good variety, and staff was good at restocking anything getting low. My only regret was that the whirlpool was closed/ not working, that would have been great to get in after a long drive in and after a long day of walking around town. We actually ended up staying another night and REALLY, REALLY wished we would have stayed a third ...We had a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE hotel experience on Tybee Island. TRUST ME, just stay in Savannah and drive over to the Island and back if you want to see the beach/ lighthouse/ fort on Tybee.

1  Thank shetaytaysmom
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here on a business trip and my daughter, coincidentally, was also staying there on a college trip. We wanted to be with her, but didn't know much about the hotel. We were very happy with the rooms, the location, and the staff. The breakfast room and other facilities were clean and the parking was free and close to the doors. It was just a very short ride to great restaurants and shops. Although we did not request it, we also had a fabulous view of the river and the large ships. The price was very good, too. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank LfromAlabama
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I booked this hotel based on reviews from this site and you all certainly got it right. It's a beautiful hotel just a very short walk from the river walk and the other Savannah must sees. That short walk means big advantages such as lower room charges and free parking, you won't get that with the hotels in the center of it all. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. When we return to Savannah we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family