“Great chicken - but not sure it was worth the wait”
Review of Cafe Florie - CLOSED

Cafe Florie
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were in search of authentic fried chicken and since we had ony a short time in Savannah we weren't able to go to Mrs Wilkes. A couple of people recommended Cafe Florie saying the chicken there was outstanding. We were warned that everything is cooked to order and when we sat down we were told to expect a 40 minute wait for our meals. Unfortunately they were having a busy day and it took a little over an hour to serve 4 out of five of us. The fifth was overlooked somehow - the waiter said he had run out of hands and was going straight back to pick up our fifth plate - but it was clear from the strained conversations in the kitchen that the fifth fried chicken had not been put in at the same time as the others. It took another half hour before all five of us had our lunch.

The chicken was nicely fried, still moist and juicy. The batter was very crispy and fresh, though I might have expected a more interesting seasoning mix. It was good fried chicken but I am not sure that it was so good it was worth a 90 minute wait.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We've dined here previously as a couple, and because of the novelty and deliciousness of the food, overlooked the surliness of the servers and slowness of services.
Second time around, with a group of work folk, the BS wasn't considered quite as quaint. I'm ok with a few snafus in a new and locally owned establishment, but rude and entitled servers are more than I can bear. I'm a seasoned veteran of the service industry and make quite a few exceptions for overworked or stretched servers and bartenders, but will never, ever, ever darken the doorway of this establishment ever again. Which is a shame, considering how charming the owner was the first time we dined there. Hopefully he'll realize his waitstaff don't exude the same graciousness he does.. And soon.

1  Thank Foodie2ShoesSav
Reviewed April 14, 2013

First off, Cafe Florie is said to get their veggies from the local farmers which is just super awesome if true! Speaking of awesome, they have greentea w/ honey that is ridiculously great! We ate their for brunch and dinner in the same day as we had expiring savannah menu gift cards. Both times the service was very slow! The staff was polite and we were not in to much of a rush so no worries there.

We arrived at 11 (another couple arrived at same time) when they opened and was presented with the breakfast menu. After a few minutes and ready to order the server took the paper menu and gave us a different paper menu. This menu did not contain any breakfast items so we were disappointed. Come to find out breakfast is only offered on Saturdays. The wife chose a vegetable sandwich and I chose the vegetable quesadilla w/salads. We both enjoyed our meals with no complaints. Disappointed dessert was not available at this time.

We returned for dinner at 5 and ordered the fish dinner with fries / cole slaw. The fish was great, but was only offered fried. I overheard the server (it's a tiny place with 9 pretty close tables) they were out of meatloaf and chicken. Luckily we do not eat meat so the fish was going to be our choice regardless. We also shared a basket of their fried bread balls. Again fried, so not that healthy. They did taste pretty good though! This time they did have dessert which we opted for the orange pound cake. It was by far the worst pound cake I've ever had. It had the consistency of stale cake, so did not eat much of it.

Still undecided if we'll ever return. My recommendation is more options such as pasta or even curry dishes. Also more options for preparation for the health conscious folks.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

So I recently visited this tiny, little restaurant, with 2 friends, and I have to stress how tiny it is, after reading the numerous positive reviews online, so my expectations were very high. We were promptly greeted at the door and offered drinks. We all had their signature citrus green tea, which was absolutely refreshing. After perusing the somewhat limited lunch menu - they don't start serving dinner items until 5pm on the weekend - we asked if it was possible to get the fried chicken even though it was not yet dinner time. After consulting with the cook, the friendly waiter came back and gave us the good news. We ordered the Johnnie Fries to munch on while we waited for what seemed like ages (or about 30 mins) for our food to arrive, but it was worth every second. Best fried chicken I have ever had, hands down. Don't expect to be in and out in 30 mins, this is not fast food. We were the only ones in there when we arrived but the place was packed by the time we left. We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We tried this restaurant because of Savannah Menus discount. Our first problem was the SLOW service!! We had an hour to eat and get to mass (Saturday at 4:15) - plenty of time for ANY other restaurant. The server took 15 minutes to bring us a piece of paper AKA the menu. Keep in mind there was ONE other party of four in there. He then took 15 minutes to come back for our order and to check on something and bring us water. We didn't get our food until 5:15!!!!! Needless to say we were late to mass. We also smelled heavily like the restaurant (FRIED) when we left.

As a vegetarian gone vegan I was so excited to try it. This restaurant is supposed to be very friendly to vegetarians/vegans.....that was not the case. There was ONE item on the very SHORT menu for vegetarians: vegetable sandwich. The vegetables were so full of salt and oil that I could hardly eat them. The bread the veggies was served on was a flat bread that was dry and tasteless. I ended up eating the unidentifiable veggies off the bread. My husband didn't like anything off the few items he could choose from so we looked at the menu we found online. It showed a burger so he was able to get that. He loves burgers but was really disappointed that this one had zero taste. What's strange is the other reviews mention these awesome items they got from here but none of those were on the piece of paper we got....really weird!

I usually am very easy with restaurants and give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were having an off day etc etc. This seemed to be business as usual for this little cafe. We will NEVER go back. Even if the service improves!

1  Thank Teresa F