“Truth In Advertising - It's "A Family Bistro"”
Review of Blue Turtle Bistro - CLOSED

Blue Turtle Bistro
Cuisines: American, French, Healthy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Truth In Advertising - It's "A Family Bistro"”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It has changed a bit since our last visit, but it still is a good restaurant and a great place to eat out with young kids.

Live blues at one end, a play room that kept our grandchildren aged 5 and 8 occupied at the other, and good food and drink in between.

It's unpretentious, with modest prices yet the menu is adventurous. Much better food and service than at "family restaurants" or chains. We had a number of small plates and thought all were very good, especially the mussels and the beef tartare. (But, order the pickled vegetables only if you really are a pickling aficionado. Not everyone in our group was.)

This is a place I would happily return to again and again.

• Visited March 2013

“Great changes!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've been out of town for a while and missed the changeover from the old Turtle to the new. What a pleasant surprise all around! We're side-by-side bar diners so we started to step up as usual but went for a high top instead this time because the lighting and look was so inviting. It was a calm Wednesday evening and we had great service from the enthusiastic bartender who had good suggestions as we digested the new (to us) menu. Try the chicken chowder and Big Bibb salad for sure -- two of the best in type in Savannah. The fish tacos and crab cake slider -- from the small plate menu -- we're quite good too. All in all, we're eager to return to try the other 5 or 6 or 7 menu items we had to resist this time. Can't wait!

• Visited January 2013
Oregon
“Fresh food, imaginatively prepared”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My parents live in Savannah, and this is one of their local favorites. They are confirmed foodies and world travelers, so the fact they recommend the Blue Turtle says a lot! :)

I've been several times, most recently two days in a row for lunch (the first day was so good, we figured there was no point in going somewhere else the next day). Every time, the food has been great! The homemade potato chips are a don't miss. I really enjoyed my fried-green-tomato BLT, and the chunky tomato soup was just the thing for a chilly day (well, chilly by Savannah standards, anyway!). The menu changes seasonally, and every time I've had the chef's special, it has been outstanding.

I was pleased to see that on this visit, the restaurant has apparently become so popular that they added on a bar area and (genius!) children's play room where kids could play away from the table without disturbing other diners, but still in full view of their parents.

• Visited November 2012
Savannah, Georgia
“Rushed Service”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The first time I went to the Blue Turtle Bistro it was for lunch after a yoga class with my friend. I had a hummus plate which was super filling and yummy. The service was perfect and my friend and I had a wonderful time. I returned a second time about two weeks ago to try out their new dinner menu. The waiter was incredibly pushy and put off by us. He kept hovering and interrupting our conversation constantly. We ended up ordering a couple of salads and split a pumpkin pie creme brulee (very good!!). Still, he kept pestering us and it seemed as if he didn't want us there... I ordered a black coffee with a shot of Jameson and after he gave me a Bailey's coffee with whipped cream, I finally got a cup of luke-warm watered down coffee with whiskey. Then, around 10 (they close at 11 on Fridays) they started flickering the lights. BTB is a cute bistro with good potential, but the service could be better!

• Visited November 2012
Savannah, Georgia
“Slipping away”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been to the Blue Turtle Bistro several times and loved it. However, since they opened their bar and added the "small plates" I have missed their appetizers that they used to have. I especially miss their baked brie.....it was the best ever.
The small plates are ridiculously small. The beef slider was fine, but my pulled pork slider was dry, dry dry.
The dinner entrees have gotten uninteresting and the pricing is creeping up. I used to always love the risotto of the day, but lately it has been some absurd grouping of ingredients. I have a seafood allergy and they used to offer something in place of the shrimp or salmon that always are in the risotto, but the last two visitis........it was "well, too bad."

I used to really like this place, so I will try it maybe one more time.........but that will be it unless it starts to return to the great, friendly place it used to be

• Visited September 2012