“Great Stay”

Ranked #9 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Orlando, Florida
“Great Stay”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the East Bay Inn. Our room was cozy and nicely decorated with amazingly high ceilings. The staff was nice and helpful but not intrusive. Loved that they didn't nickel and dime us like some places, and included Wi-Fi and free bottled water, etc. Breakfast was a bit on the skimpy side, only tried it one day. Perfect location, didn't move our car once after we arrived and were able to walk everywhere. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Ponca City
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed in Room 210 and was very roomy and beautiful. Beds very comfortable and provided great view. This inn was everything we hoped it would be. Great access to everything. The only caution I would make is that since it is an older inn the floors do squeak. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem. But that being said, it wasn't a problem for us and we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sherry M
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a weekend. The room was absolutely gorgeous! Loved the decor and high ceilings. The location was perfect! We walked everywhere! Very convenient! Also enjoyed the most comfortable beds, free delicious breakfast, yummy cheese, crackers and snacks in the evenings, lovely turn down service with mints and ice, and the free bottled water after an afternoon stroll! The lady at the front desk was very nice! Would love to stay here again in the future! Absolutely wonderful!!!!

Room Tip: Once you park-if you get a spot in the hotel lot, walk everywhere! Not very many parking spots in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tammy S
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday. I didn't want to stay at a corporate hotel (Hilton or Marriot) because I wanted to experience Savannah's southern charm and make it a special weekend. I had heard great reviews of East Bay Inn from a coworker. I booked the cozy queen. I was worried it would be very small, but it was the perfect size for two people. I did book early so I requested the 2nd or 3rd floor. We got a corner room, with a good view of the surrounding area. The ceilings are SO HIGH, which may have been my favorite feature. We needed to park in a parking garage nearby because the lot was full, but this wasn't a problem because we were not using our car while we were in Savannah. The hotel is decorated perfectly to accentuate the old southern charm, exposed brick, and hardwood floor. It seemed to be kept up very well considering how old it was. Every staff member was extremely friendly and accommodating. My parents surprised us with champagne, which the hotel set up to be waiting for us when we arrived (and we got to keep the champagne glasses!). The location is PERFECT for hanging out in historic Savannah. I recommend visiting in October when the weather is cool and the ghost tours are in full force! While the hotel is pricy, I feel it is worth the money, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Consult the staff while booking and ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spent 3 nights and 4 days at East Bay Inn with our best friends. Each of our Rooms were perfect! We had the 2 corner rooms on the 3rd floor overlooking East Bay Street. The location was perfect - we didn't realize how close we were going to be to River Street. The staff was very nice and very helpful. We were recommended to take the Oglethorpe Tour Bus and it was perfect (and the Inn arranged all of this for us and had the shuttle for Oglethorpe pick us right around the corner).
We enjoyed the evening wine & cheese. Was a good time to unwind for a bit and relax before we off to more exploring of the City. We were nicely surprised that we didn't hear any of our neighbors at the Inn. We have stayed at other older Hotels and the walls were paper thin. We would stay here again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend and had a lovely experience with the staff. Melvin the bellman and Shiela at the front desk were true examples of southern hospitality at its finest. They would get 5 stars from me.
But to be honest the accommodations were not as great. The room was large and spacious, the beds very comfortable. But dirty hand prints and smeared spots on the wall, were something a little deep cleaning could cure. Then there's the bathroom: mold on the ceiling and shower curtain, I mean where is the bleach? I give you the place is old, but someone please put some elbow grease, paint, and additional upkeep into the rooms to make them really great. Oh and the breakfast was horrible. Worst eggs I have ever tried. The only edible thing was the yogurt and that was prepackaged so you can't mess that up.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KidsAreATrip
USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

When you are staying in a historic inn, there are things you have to accept. Creeky floors, a bit of wear, etc. However, this inn combines all the downsides of a historic inn with none of the pluses. When you walk around Savannah and see other historic inns with graceful wrought iron balconies or stately columns you can't help but be enchanted. Then you come back to your square brick box and think, "Meh". It lacks ambiance. It's also located right off of busy Bay Street, which may be a plus for some, but the incessant traffic noises were very distracting at night.

As i said, a bit of wear is expected in a historic hotel, but this place was dirty. There were dust bunnies the size of actual bunnies under the furniture and the air intake vents in the room and bathroom were completely clogged with lint and dust and looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. There was mildew in the bathroom grout and in the creases of the shower curtain. The entire room smelled musty and I was coughing incessantly while in it.

In addition, there are no amenities for the traveler. Even though they have a restaurant attached to the building, they don't provide room service. They have no laundry service whatsoever and the closest laundry is miles away. The toiletries they provide are a hodgepodge variety so you can shampoo your hair with lavender and bergamot and condition it with chamomile and mint. The scents do not blend well.

Breakfast is a buffet of reconstituted eggs, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy made from yesterday's leftover sausage patties. The fruit was either anemic looking or half rotted. Not good.

What this place does have going for it is a fabulous staff, from Melvin the Bellman to both the ladies we interacted with at the front desk. They are the single redeeming feature of the East Bay Inn. That, and they do allow pets for a $75 fee. As a frequent traveler with pets, I appreciate that and those two things are reason I am rating it as high as a 3 when in reality I find it closer to a 2.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo