“East Bay Inn - Savannah, GA”
Review of East Bay Inn

East Bay Inn
Ranked #9 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent four nights at this lovely, charming, special Inn. I cannot say enough about how pretty, quaint and special this Inn truly is. The staff go above and beyond with their customers. The Inn is pretty, cozy and very clean. Located in The Historic District and right by The River Front....it doesn't get any better!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quiet and ceilings are 18 feet high!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amlovett
There are newer reviews for East Bay Inn

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We visited Savannah for several days after a trip to Jacksonville to a family wedding. After stopping first at Jekyll Island on the way to Savannah (a definite must-see), we easily found the East Bay Inn. We could not have been more pleased with our stay there. The building was very conveniently located between the riverfront and the rest of the city. In 7 minutes we were down at the riverfront strolling on the old cobblestones choosing a restaurant and watching huge tankers go by, or in 7 minutes in the other direction we were on Broughton Street looking in shop windows and strolling the pretty squares. What is more, it was very easy to hop in our car in the nearby garage that the hotel provides for a nominal amount and drive only 25 minutes to Tybee Island to the beach! Visiting another city doesn't get better or easier than this. We walked around at night time each night and felt very safe, as well. Our Deluxe Queen room was more spacious than I expected and even prettier than the website makes it look. Also, I thought the hotel and the rooms were very clean. The two comments I have are that sometimes the inn's walls seemed, and I could hear some "activity" in a neighboring room. Only once though. Another thing is that the hotel needs to invest in better mattresses. Ours was on the hard side and slightly affected our night's sleep. We wished that the beds were more comfortable. If you have a Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress at home, you will be disappointed with your mattress here! Maybe they are different in different rooms, though. When doing research I was undecided on staying here or at a beautiful mansion B & B on one of the quieter neighborhood streets deeper in the historic district. We chose this because of the less expensive price. In the end I am so glad we stayed here because of the convenient location (the mansion B & Bs were a little farther from the river), many restaurants, nearby Starbucks (hotel coffee was very weak), and roads in and out of the city. We still got to see the other neighorhoods, however, (which are not very far away) on a trolley tour we took and by foot. This city is best seen on foot, I think. Wear very comfortable shoes, and be prepared to spend an entire leisurely afternoon walking around and exploring, after first doing the trolley tour to get acquainted. We are not Paula Deen fans at all and did not feel the need to eat at her restaurants. Also, we are budget-minded travelers and could not spend huge amounts on our meals. After several evenings eating at restaurants on the river (we just were always drawn to it), we ate at the Moon River Brewery right up the street from the East Bay Inn. We found that the food there far surpassed the restaurants on the river. Their menus were on the boring side. A lot of things on the their menus were unhealthy (southern food in general seems to be!), and the food was mediocre. The riverfront restaurants need to work on their menus, especially since most tourists go there to eat (we did eat at Tubby's because of the deck overlooking the river). The food at the Moon River Brewery, however, was delicious and more upscale than the "river food." Although a budget-minded traveler, I still like to have good food! I expected mundane "brewery" or "pub" food (the usual hamburger or fried food business) but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel recommends the nearby Pink House, but it is expensive. When I walked around the restaurant in the middle of the afternoon (they kindly let me meander around), I found that the dining rooms seemed a little dingy and the place smelled. So, in summary, make sure you eat at a variety of places in different parts of the city, and don't just go to the river each time. The City Market was alright - not as great as others have told me. I expected more shops and things to look at. A negative experience I had in the town was at the gift shop at SCAD - the Savannah College of Art and Design. When I visited the gift shop, I had on sightseers' comfortable traveling clothes - you know - un-chic-looking sneakers, shorts, comfortable top for walking around in, sunglasses, purse. After entering the SCAD shop, I was looked at up and down, and I felt "judged" by the young, red-lipstick-wearing, artsy student sales clerk there. I myself am a former design major from a design school that made a name for itself way before SCAD came into the picture. I was successful in the interior design field. I also studied historic preservation at a preeminent school which has been around way longer than SCAD, and I have been successful in that field as well, which is challenging to be able to say in this day and age in those particular fields, which they themselves will soon find out after they graduate (for all they know, they might still be working as sales clerks in the shop 20 years from now). So, those red-lipstick-wearing, artsy, student sales clerks at the SCAD gift shop do not really know who it is they are interfacing with when the public walks through the door to shop there, and they should be less judgemental. I think the red-lipstick-wearing SCAD students I encountered were the most negative aspect of my visit to Savannah!

Room Tip: We had a room on the interior of the building that looked out on a parking lot and back alley. The b...
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The decor is absolutely beautiful. Exactly what a bed and breakfast should look like. It was absolutely amazing at how high the ceilings were. Rooms are large and clean. This is one of the few bed and breakfasts that has 2 queensize beds in a room. Location is fantastic. You can walk to everywhere from this hotel. Tons of restaurants and shopping just right across the street. Staff was very friendly and helpful, just the southern hospitalitiy you think of Savannah.

Room Tip: There is free bottled water at the front desk, so make sure to ask. Made a big difference walking a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were happy with our stay at the East Bay Inn during a mid-September trip to Savannah. The hotel does indeed have an old southern charm to it. Our room had an exposed brick interior, was nicely decorated and clean upon arrival. Staff at the hotel was very helpful and friendly, they will definitely make you feel welcome. The 5:30pm happy hour was a nice opportunity to talk to other couples and enjoy a glass a wine and snacks before heading out for the evening. We liked the traditional continental breakfast of bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, pb, yogurt etc. The location of the hotel is perfect and conveniently within walking distance to the waterfront and other attractions like shops, restaurants and museums. We did not use our vehicle at all during our stay as it was not necessary. There were only a handful of parking spaces at the hotel but upon arrival the nice lady at the front desk gave us a pass for city parking garage and directed us there.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This beautiful historic quaint Inn was perfect for our first girls getaway in Savannah. The location is just perfect, within walking distance to shops & restaurants, the wine reception was very nice, the staff was great & friendly and definitely shows the southern hospitality and of course, Melvin the bellman is just the best. We went to the Savannah Theater in the evening and had the best of time. Awesome performance.
I will come back and stay at the East Bay Inn again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Love the wood floors and exposed brick, gives you that old time Savannah feel. It is a great location for walking to all the sites, shopping and restaurants. The wine reception in the evening was nice, enjoyed talking with fellow travelers.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and i stayed three night's at the Inn and enjoyed everything.The staff was very friendly and helpful.Melvin the bellman was great.Room was great and quite and the beds were very comfortable.Inn is within walking of most everything. We did not use our car the whole time we stayed in Savannah.Will definitely stay again if we go to Savannah.