“Not the worst, but certainly not the best!”

Travelodge Savannah Gateway
Ranked #86 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Imlay City
“Not the worst, but certainly not the best!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We were there 3 days, and not once did housekeeping come through the room. This was apparently because of the holiday; only one housekeeper reported for duty on Thanksgiving Day. The internet only worked when we were sitting on the floor outside the bathroom, and after a few minutes we would get booted off. Every time we left our rooms, our keys would quit working and we had to go back down to the front desk to get them re-keyed. The women at the front desk were great about trying to make up for the lack of housekeeping, but it was still frustrating. The hotel itself was very nice; it had obviously undergone a facelift in the recent past. It was clean and pleasant. My family enjoyed the pool and hot tub one of the evenings we were there. The lobby was attractive, and we were pleased that the hotel offered laundry facilities for its guests. We came to the conclusion that, even with the lack of housekeeping services, the value was decent. I'm not sure we would go back to this hotel, though, as there are about 10 others within spitting distance that would be of comparable value, and perhaps better service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Todd T
Hotel46656, Director of Sales at Travelodge Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We were unaware of any issues with our equipment and have alerted our IT team about the problem. Thanks for staying with us and we hope you would give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I got a great deal on my room here. I paid the extra $5 for a King suite since I have a dog and didn't want her bothering people if I had to leave the room by barking at passers-by, etc.

The location is a little hard to find. My GPS didn't take the address, but put me in the general vicinity. Know before you go that this place is behind the Cracker Barrel and the Sleep Inn. Drive to the back of the complex of hotels and restaurants.

This hotel was CONSIDERABLY cheaper than all the hotels around and I'm sure just as nice. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were great. They close at 11pm. If you're going to use the jacuzzi, there's a timer switch on the wall at the shallow end of the pool. Most people couldn't figure that out.

My bed was comfortable and my room was clean with the exception of the bathtub. I know it's an old bathtub, but there was a hair in it. There were also water stains on the wall behind the door and on the ceiling. Furniture was a little older and worn but perfectly acceptable and especially so at the price. Microwave and fridge in the room were really nice as was the free premium cable and HBO.

If you're a hoity-toity nitpicker, I'd avoid the place if you're going to complain about rough toilet paper and older furniture or scratches on the wall. Everyone else... it's a GREAT bargain. It's about a 15 minute drive to the historic section of the city and all the action, but with the money you save on your stay you can pay for some great meals in the city or do some shopping.

The free breakfast was great. Wifi got a little spotty late at night, but it was free. Totally would stay here again and would recommend the place to anyone looking for a great bargain!

Room Tip: Spring for the King suite if you're traveling with a dog. You can turn the tv on and close your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Vidalia909
Hotel46656, Manager at Travelodge Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your compliments and for choosing to stay with us. I will pass your comments on to our management & staff. I hope you choose to stay with us during your next vacation the Savannah area!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Friendly and efficient staff, The location is great - just 15 minutes from down town. There are several restaurants within walking distance across the parking lot. Other restaurants and shopping located just minutes from hotel. The rooms are large and clean, the beds are comfortable, the wireless internet is fast and easy to connect to, great work desk space. Hotel has a very nice in door Pool/Jacuzzi a must if you are traveling w/ children. Breakfast bar was well stocked, fresh and tasty.

2 Thank Tracy L
Hotel46656, Manager at Travelodge Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and we pride ourselves our customer service. Our staff works very hard to ensure that all of guest's experiences are above their expectations. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Savannah area!
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel has changed since the last time I was here. The staff is great and the rooms have been updated. The pool and hot tub were relaxing after a long day. I was up visiting my nephew who is attending GSU. I will definitely be back when I come to visit.

1 Thank Leh492
Hotel46656, Manager at Travelodge Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and we pride ourselves our customer service. Our staff works very hard to ensure that all of guest's experiences are above their expectations. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to our area to visit your Nephew!
High Springs, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is NOT ready for guests. Pictures are deceiving. The front desk told me that Travelodge had just acquired the property. Which is probably why it was hard to find, not signed well at all. We checked in early evening (around 7) and was given a dirty room. After much discussion and finger pointing, they moved us to a clean room; however, we continued to have to ask for basic items such as towels and pillows. They would give us two towels, and four of us were staying in a room, we had to ask for more every day. It would seem that they didn’t have enough towels because at one point we were given brand new towels that hadn’t been washed yet. We had to ask for an iron, but we never got it and by this time, we were just tired of asking. The beds are lumpy, bad backs beware! Then much to our dismay we found out that the swimming pool is not heated and the hot tub was broken. Breakfast was very very lacking our first day then very slowly got better through the visit. Saturday morning around 8:30am workers were coming in from the grocery store with the basic needs of breakfast. This is something that should have happened long before then, especially since you could hear the workers talk about how busy they were going to be just the day before. This hotel and the managers there need to learn the fine art of planning and organizing. I was very disappointed with my stay and even more disappointed that no one at the hotel cared that I was disappointed. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel46656, General Manager at Travelodge Savannah Gateway, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay with us. . We are just finishing some renovations and upgrades to guest rooms and public areas, our breakfast offers a variety of items that try to meet all of our guests needs and that is required per Travelodge standards. On the weekends we try to offer extras like sausage biscuits & gravy along with sausage patties. Thank you again for your comments and hope that you will consider our brand in your future travels.

Travelers are raving about these Savannah hotels

Clarkesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked a room on the Travelodge website where it clearly shows that they accept pets. I put a note on the reservation that we would be bringing our dog and if there are any special information that I need to know. They called me the next day and told me they don't accept pets at this hotel. I explained to her that the website clearly shows that pets are accepted. She said she would talk to her manager and call me back. She never called me back, I found someone to watch my pet for the weekend and called back to see if we still had a reservation. They assured me that my reservation was still there. I called on the way down to the hotel to see where they were located and they didn't have my reservation. I even told her I had called to make sure they still had it and was told I did. So I made it then on the way to the hotel. The person on the phone told me that the hotel was behind McDonalds. No this hotel is not behind McDonalds, there is a McDonalds near there but this hotel is more behind the Cracker Barrell and another hotel. THere is a huge cluster of hotels in this area and this one does not have a lit sign out front. They are doing some renovating, when we get to the hotel they tell me that we have already been checked in and gives me a key card. When we try the key card on the room, there is already someone staying in the room. So we have to go down to the desk to get another room. I don't believe they own a vacuum because there was plaster on the floor in our room and in the hallways and staircase there was debris that was there all weekend. Needless to say the room was clean but I don't think anyone knows what is going on. I rang the button twice to get in the front door and nobody came to let me in. Finally had to go outside and yell up to my husband to let me in. The front door doesn't have a place for your key card. The website still shows that this hotel accepts pets.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so sorry you experienced this problem at our hotel. I will address it with our management team and hope that you will consider our hotel again in the future. Thank you
Mableton, Georgia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

when we arrived, dismayed to find out that our HANDICAPPED ROOM that I called twice and confimed had been given to some one else.and my mother and I were on the third floor.Room had no necessities Several phone calls to get pillows and towels. We bought our own wash cloths the next day. Third day of our stay-elevator was out of order. Stuck in our room half of the day until we asked elevator repairman to please get us out of there He did! He climbed in the shaft and rode us down manually! The management could care less. never a phone call,or a solution to the problem. Got home to find out not only did they take my cash for the room but they had charged my bank card I had held the reservation with ,Always an excuse for management to not take my calls. BEWARE! Lots of other places to stay in beautiful Savannah!Management needs Training!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernice0434
Thank You very much for bringing your concerns to our attention. The Hotel is under new ownership and Management. We would like to apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. We would also like to assure you that the Management Team is working very hard to correct all aspects of this property and will continue to do so in the future.