Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown
Ranked #68 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was clean. Our room was nice and roomy. Loved the pillows. Bed was firm, but comfortable. This is really close to downtown Savannah. They have more than your basic breakfast spread. Would def stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Jen And Chris,
Thank you so much for stayig with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind review and are so happy that we could accommodate you as our guest. Please visit us again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staff was courteous and friendly, especially Brenda in the morning during breakfast. She always had a smile on her face, which put smiles on ours. Very interesting local bar just around the corner. Had the most wonderful time, even though we couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights. LOL

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Kathy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so happy that the staff were friendly and accommodating. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to Savannah and the local night life. I will share your kind comments with the staff and hope that you will visit us again when your travels bring you back to the Savannah area.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I had my concerns about this hotel as I woud be traveling with my grandchildren, ages 7 & 3, as well as my daughter. I can tell you that my friend thoroughly went over this room as she was formerly a maid in a hotel and she was quite pleased. On check-in, I was offered the room that she viewed which of course I took. We were entirely comfortable in that room. The staff was wonderful ! Breakfast is more than adequate with a variety of simple choices - cereals, grits, eggs, toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt - just what you need. The pool area is clean and well kept as is the rest of the hotel. Location is very good, even with the air base right there. We were not disturbed by the air traffic, which was minimal. The kids loved watching the planes come in. The Ogelthorpe mall is located right across Abercorn and is no problem to get in and out of. I did not find access to the hotel a problem - however, I have been a frequent traveler to Savannah and am quite used to the U-turns :) Access to the city itself is easy - traveling straight down Abercorn - and staying in midtown allows you some peace from the city scene. I cannot complain at all about my rate. I have stayed on Bay Street in Savannah and room costs can be quite prohibitive and you have the additional cost of parking. I have also stayed by the Airport and access to the city, while still not difficult, is slightly more "compicated" by travel on the interstates. The property has been recently updated. I really cannot say enough good things about this property. I will not hesitate to stay here again and cannot recommend it enough - especially for families with younger children. With the threat of rain a daily thing, the indoor pool is a great option in case you need to stay in. Easy access to the city, easy access to Tybee, easy access to the interstates. I really do NOT feel you can go wrong with this one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Crystal W
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Crystal,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We can not thank you enough for all of the kind remarks concerning your stay at our hotel. It os the positive comments from guests such as you that make our job a joy, and encourage us to continue to maintain the high quality of service for which we strive. We hope that your travels will bring you back to our area soon so that you may visit us again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is our third stay. Supposedly updated rooms contain only three small drawers. My husband and I could not unpack all our clothes. The room was never vacuumed; we found food and items under the bed when we dropped something. Bedding was torn and beds were not made properly nor the room cleaned. Bed skirts were dirty from dragging on the dirty floor. The tub had mold. The pool area is extremely rusty. The room was really musty.

Room Tip: We would recommend a suite if you can afford it or don't bring much clothing. It won't help...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary A
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Mary,
I apologize that you were diasappointed with your stay. we have remodeled the rooms with new furniture and it is true that to acommodate every room with a refrigerator and microwave, perhaps some of the dresser space is small. I am sorry that you did not alert us to some of your other concerns during your stay when we spoke in the breakfast room. We appreciate the feedback and will definitely use it to fine tune our operations.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I would first like to say that I am a Carlson Club member and we travel frequently and many times stay at the Country Inns. We were very disappointed in this property and would not recommend staying there.

We had a 2 bedroom suite which we unfortunately paid $200 a night. The inn is run down with a need for updates which I heard were going to be taking place. I would not stay here until they do.

Pros:
A wonderful, polite, helpful staff including the breakfast lady and the counter people.
Breakfast is not bad contrary to what some have written. It had scrambled eggs, ham, and tortillas, waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereal, juice etc. Plenty for everyone.

Everyone talks about the airfield noise but it really was not bad. In the evening there was some helicopter noise coming in and out but really it was OK and not disturbing.

Cons:
There was a mildew odor in the front lobby, not too bad but when we got to our room it was absolutely terrible. The AC did nothing to take it away. The humdity level in the room was 80%. We did check with the front desk and we were told to turn the AC up. Humidity went down to 66 % but we were freezing at 64 degrees. It was late so we just did the best we could but no one slept well between the humidty and the smell. My son who doesn't usually notice much about our hotel rooms complained constantly and days later that is all he talks about. The next night on the road when I opened my suitcase to change into pjs the clothes in the suitcase had actually all absorbed this odor. I washed the smell out of everything when I got home.

Bedding was stained and frayed as well as carpeting. The curtains in the room had not been cleaned in a very long time. They were gray with black spots on them.

Walls were marked and had peeling wallpaper as well as big chips of paint missing from parts of the door.

There were sticky marks on the surfaces of the sink counters and tables.

Bathroom fixtures had a white coating on them which I thought was permanent but I was able to clean it off so the people cleaning the room should have been able to do this. The toilet valves were actually completely covered in rust.

We usually don't have a problem with our rooms as long as they are clean. They don't have to be fancy but the AC problem and smell was overwhelming. I hope the do the well needed remodeling of this Country Inn and until they do I would not recommend any one stay here. There is a problem with the owners/management here that these issues have not been addressed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank beachtraveler1001
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Patrica,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We are working diligently to correct these issues and I appreciate that you brought them to my attention. As a gesture of good will, we would like to offer a complimentary upgrade based upon availability on your next stay. Please contact me when you are ready to make another reservation. again, i have made a list of all of your concerns and they will be promptly addressed.Please accept our apology and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact me directly at the phone number listed below.
All the best,
Carlson Hotels/ Country Inn & Suites
912-692-0404

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We love Savannah. This is the third time we have visited but the first time we have stayed at midtown. While it is a drive into the historic district, it is a short one. This hotel is also located close to the mall and several restaurants. Anyone who has ever stayed or spent anytime downtown knows that eating in downtown, while enjoyable, can get expensive fast so the proximity of this hotel to restaurants is a real bonus.
The hotel, while perhaps dated, was well kept and clean. The pool area could use more lighting but the pool is heated and was a nice way to unwind after a long day. The hot tub, however, was lack luster as the jets produced very little movement in the water.
The breakfast was better than average for a hotel and was a great way to start the day before walking downtown and taking in the sights. Each morning there was an egg selection, a breakfast meat, oatmeal, yogurt, pastries, English muffins, and assorted juices and cereals. Much more than adequate.
The staff was friendly and helpful and was even able to give me information on what time a small local, ethnic store opened. They always greeted us with a smile and wished up well on our way out the door.
The hotel is located right by the military base and the first time a helicopter went overhead I startled. Having said that, things quiet down by ten or eleven and you forget it is even there, don't let that deter you.
White Bluff road is a divided roadway which can make it tricky to get in and out of the hotel. However, being away that there is a second entrance on Abercorn St by the Rooms to Go can head off difficulty. When returning from downtown I recommend coming straight up Abercorn from downtown- it is a central thoroughfare and a good road to become familiar and orient yourself with. You can either turn into the hotel directly off Abercorn by Rooms to Go or go up to the light and come down White Bluff Rd. If you want to go to the mall, I suggest exiting by The Rooms to Go and making a right. To go into downtown, take a right out directly onto White Bluff. Many GPSs will suggest going back out and hitting the by-pass. You can, however, it is a much more scenic drive to head straight down White Bluff which becomes Bull Street and passes right into downtown. At Forsyth Park, a left down Park Street will take you out to MLK BLVD- a right on MLK will lead right down to the visitor's center. Abercorn is also a pretty drive into and out of the historic district from mid town.
All in all, this hotel is well located, well kept, and a nice place to stay for a few days while you enjoy the beauty and hospitality of the south's most beautiful city. We will definitely be back and this hotel will be one of the first I look into for our stay,

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Barbara A, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Wendy,
Thank you so much for your glowing review. We certainly appreciate your stay with us and that you took the time to review our hotel. We hope that your travels will bring you back to our area soon!