“Pleasantly Surprised”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown
Ranked #67 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was my first time staying at Country Inn and Suites. Like other posts, I booked through Hotwire although I booked the day before my trip :) The staff was pleasant especially Phyllis. Its always nice to see staff that appear to genuinely enjoy their job. I was told to help myself to as many cookies as I would like, 24 hours a day, with fresh cookies made daily. I hadn't expected my room to be a suite and was pleased at the size of the room and the variety of channels in spite of it being older TV. I saw signs announcing " Excuse our mess, Renovations taking place" but didn't see any of the renovations. I took advantage of the indoor pool and hot tub. I also was pleased that the continental breakfast also included waffle makers and there was adequate seating for guests both days that I had breakfast. Overall, a great find for an inexpensive price. I enjoyed being so close to a mall and movie theater and highly recommend Chiraya's, a nearby restaurant, for any Thai food lovers.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We used the Hotwire "buy before you know" option for 2.5 stars in Savannah midtown and got this hotel. Overall, not bad for the price but we would have felt cheated had we paid more. Check-in was fast and Warren was very friendly. He did announce out loud what rooms the two parties ahead of us were in, which I thought odd since most places just write it down for privacy reasons.

There are signs up that say the place is undergoing a remodel. Given we got a discount rate I wasn't surprised we got an older room. Our room, 316, was next to the vending but it wasn't an issue with the ac on. Room was very clean except for some coffee stains on the wall near the trash can in the bathroom. Carpet, paint and fixtures all needed updating, but that is coming I assume. Small fridge, micro and coffee in room. Old school tv with about 45 channels. One light over the bed was out. We thought the bed and linens were fine although some may find the mattress a bit soft.

Breakfast was ok: 4 cereal choices, oatmeal, scrambled eggs (powdered?), potatoes, sausage, make your own waffles, and pastries. Some whole fresh fruit is available - yogurt would have been nice.

Hotel is very close to a mall and surrounded by tons of big box stores. Army airfield borders one side (across a 4 lane road) but we never heard any noise on the weekend. Recommend checking out Taste of India and Lovin Spoon (frozen yogurt) - both are within a mile. You can walk to either but through parking lots and busy roads.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel is not the newest and some of the doors could use a new coat of paint, but my room was spotless when I checked in. To me, cleanliness is the single most important factor in a hotel room and this place did not disappoint. Sheets were soft, the staff were incredibly nice, and yes, the price was great! Would happily stay here every time I visit Savannah.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I, plus our 4 sons (ages 23, 21, 18, 13) visited here for two nights, Sept 2 and 3 - two separate rooms. We had gotten the rooms from Hotwire at a pretty low price so I wasn't expecting 4 star.

When we got in, I had to dial a phone on the front desk to get someone to come to the desk. It was only about 9pm. Didn't like that. Then they gave us rooms on 2 different floors even though I had called the hotel earlier and explained that our children were in one of the rooms and we needed them to be as nearby as possible for convenience sake, as we were sharing certain items. When we checked in the clerk said it was all they had. One room had a very bad smell. The entire hotel had a bit of a funky smell.

Also they really tout their "smoke-free hotel" but people were smoking in MANY rooms and it didn't appear that they enforced anything. Not cool. You could smell smoke up and down the hallways.

That said, there were some positives too. The rooms were very clean. Other than a few ceiling tiles over the shower, I didn't see anything dirty or nasty. I saw no bugs whatsoever. The TVs and remotes worked. The phones worked (though my sons received a 5:30am unsolicited wake-up call the first morning and when I told the desk clerk about it, he acted defensive. He said "well someone would have to have ordered it." I said "sir, they are young adult and teenage boys. They wouldn't want a 5:30am wake-up call." He then said someone may have been put in the room and changed to another room, which I can believe because the room smelled BAD). What I think happened was they had our rooms together, then whoever they put in the other room complained of the smell, so they moved them to one of our rooms and relegated us to the other room. Doesn't make me very happy but they said they were sold out and we were just unlucky enough to have arrived later than the other guest.

The breakfast was decent, though there was not nearly enough room for all the people who were trying to partake in it. They had make-your-own waffles, mini omelets, sausage patties, breads, danish, fruit, cereal, juice, etc. The in-room coffee, microwave and mini-fridge were helpful. The hotel is about 15 mins from downtown/historic Savannah so it's not too difficult to move between them. I recommend Churchill's Pub down by the waterfront (across from the Hyatt) - good food and nice atmosphere - and Leopold's Ice Cream Parlor downtown was great too. We did the Blue Orb Ghost Tour, but I don't recommend the "City of the Dead" tour - unless you have young children, you should do the midnight "Zombies" tour. Ghost tours are fun though, and a neat way to see some of the Historic Savannah sights at night. We also did the Oglethorpe Trolly Tour and it was okay... but we could barely hear the tour guide (Richard) and he got a little testy with us a few times. People were talking because we couldn't hear him anyway. I like that their tour is uninterrupted, and then you can ride their shuttles with on-off service until the last one runs at 5:30. It would have helped us tremendously if it had run later than that, but apparently they all end pretty early. Savannah is a VERY walkable place, with neighborhoods laid out around a common square. Very cool.

Being Catholic, we needed to find a Mass for the weekend. We caught the Latin Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist on Sunday at 1pm - our kids had never been to a Latin Mass and it was cool, though it can be tough to follow. However, PLEASE do not try to come in and tour the church when a Mass is being celebrated. Very disrespectful and not cool. The Cathedral is breathtakingly gorgeous. We were so overwhelmed by the beauty and grandeur of the place, and being able to celebrate the Mass inside was awesome. Our kids took advantage of the Sacrament of Reconciliation the day before with Father Ortega (great guy) - they offer the Sacrament Saturday at 4. They said he was a wonderful confessor.

Savannah is a hauntingly beautiful place and I recommend at least one visit, but I feel our visit was too rushed. I recommend at least 3 days to see everything, and even then there will be lots more to see. My husband and I may go back and stay in a B&B in the historic district and see things at a slower pace next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This hotel is very reasonably priced. I needed to be in the area for a few days so I thought I'd give it a go. I found the staff extremely nice and very helpful. The entrance foyer is lovely and welcoming. My room was bit rough around the edges. Could definitely do with a lick of paint. There were old thumbtacks with bits of paper stuck in them that looked like remnants of a party from years ago. Nevertheless, the bed was comfy. I had no TV the first night and morning as no one had told me that their new cable meant that you had to turn the TV to a certain channel to make it work - but never mind. Luckily I like to read. The water pressure was excellent. Of four lights in the room, only two worked. I did mention it to the front desk, but nothing was done. With all that said, it was a bit like staying at an old auntie's house. A bit run down, but comfortable and welcoming. My only real disappointment was that on the last night, at 11:30, I had to call reception to ask them to quiet down a bunch of guys outside who were being really rowdy. The reason I was disappointed is that it would have been obvious to anyone that allowing guests to behave like that at that time of night would be disruptive to some of the guests. I shouldn't have had to phone, it should have been managed. I would stay at this hotel again because for the price, it can't be beat and when staff are friendly and helpful it really does make everything else seem minor. I didn't use the pool or have breakfast so I can't comment.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2011

First let me say the room was very nice, comfortable bedding, good size. The breakfast was delicious. However, our keycards were deactivated 2 out of 3 days. Front desk guy (during the day) wasn't very friendly. Housekeeping missed our room one day. The hotel was remodeling, so during the day furniture was being moved in and out and only 1 elevator to use. The pool was filthy dirty..nasty. The hot tub was only warm and it was green. Needs some improvement

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank djlsatt
GeneralManager50, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review on our property. I apologize that it has taken some time to get a response. Some of the issue have already been taken care of since then but I will use your feedback to continue the turn around. I appreciate your business and we hope that your travels bring you back here. Thanks so much!

Alexa Hankinson
Director of Sales and Marketing
Country Inn and Suites Savannah-Midtown

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed here with my son for one night while driving to Orlando. The hotel is not too far from downtown Savannah and is right by an airport. The parking area was only well lit in front of the building which was a problem because I had to park near the back of the hotel where there was no lights. It did not make me feel safe. Overall the hotel was nice. The bathroom was very spacious and the room was clean. The free WiFi was horrible!!! I had to sit right next to the door on the floor in my room to get average reception. The staff was very friendly. I forgot a brush and went to the front desk and Warren (I think that was his name) was nice and gave me a comb I could use to hold me over until I can get to a store. The breakfast in the morning was great! They had oatmeal with multiple toppings, juice, milk, and make your own waffles. The waffles were very good tasting! I didn't use the pool which is an indoor one.

Room Tip: Bid on Priceline
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family