“Good location, average property and stay”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #41 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I recently spent a week at this property and was not overly impressed. It has a good location which allows you to walk to many areas, but the rooms were average. I am a loyal Marriott guest and get upgraded from time to time. However, this time my room was your normal standard room. I don't have a problem with that, but this room smelled musty and the AC unit was the primary cause. I spoke to the folks at the front desk and they worked on things and sprayed some, but after a day or so, it was back to the same old smell. It was magnified when I ran the AC unit. They offered to move me but after unpacking everything and being out most of the day, I didn't want to get everything together and move. I guess part of this is my fault, but at the same time, someone else has to be in that room after me. I'm not sure how long the hotel has been at this address, but it is an older building and I'm sure they gutted the building and made it into a hotel. Perhaps some work on the AC unit and filters might rectify things. I should add that I was pleased with the staff but would rate this hotel just average based on my room which also was away from the main street in front, but offered no view out the back other than unappealing vacant lots. I think if I am in this area again, I will choose the nearby Residence Inn which is much nicer. I should add the internet is free but not as fast as I thought it would be.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed April 26, 2010

This hotel is similar to most Courtyard by Marriott's and is well kept. It sits on the edge of the Historic district and is only a few blocks from the great historic squares but 10 blocks from the river area. It was only a block from the start of most trolley tours of the area and the booking agent (who was most helpful in naming restaurants etc), sits right in the lobby. Sometimes we walked around the area and at night to go to the river area we took a cab. 3 couples in a taxi van was under $10 with tip. I found valet parking useful and at $12 with in/out privileges not a bad deal. A full breakfast restaurant off the lobby was always busy and costs ten dollars for buffet or table service. Within two blocks of two great eating spots - The Crystal Beer parlor and the Noble Fare.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2010

An excellent choice for my motorcoach tour from the Chicago area to Savannah . . . a most delightful property on the edge of Savannah's historic district, with a wonderful staff, impeccable service, a beautiful lobby and a small but cozy bar. The rooms are simple and very comfortable, though the bathroom vanity is a bit tight for a lady's "stuff". Excellent breakfast in the dining room. Very well run property, catering to the comfort of their guests. I'd absolutely bring another group to this hotel - my 54 Seniors and I loved everything about this place!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed March 1, 2010

very nice and comfortable setting.. staff was professional and thoughtful in giving out suggestions on local attractions and sites to visit

Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2010

It is not the most ideal location in the Historic District, but it does have easy access to major roads and is a relatively short walk to worthwhile places.

They do charge for parking, but it is not an exorbitant fee. It does not have many frills, but the value is good.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on a recent weekend trip to Savannah. It's an adequate hotel but located on the very edge of the historic district. The major attractions are a good 10-15 minute walk from this location.

Parking is valet only. The valets take your car and park it across the street in a free public parking garage - I could have parked my own vehicle instead of paying $12 per day for the valets to handle the parking.

The breakfast buffet is standard fare. They advertise eggs "cooked to order" but the lady who was cooking eggs when we dined was very surly and wanted to know why I didn't just want the scrambled eggs off the buffet.

Many of the staff were quite friendly, but some were indifferent and had a "could care less" attitude. Emergency vehicles woke us up several times each night. Next trip, I'd stay further down in the historic district rather than at this location.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Loved the view, service was great! alittle noisey with the river street right there. Very close to bunches of really great restrauants

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple