“Not Impressed and Below Average for a Courtyard” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #46 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
San Antonio, Texas
“Not Impressed and Below Average for a Courtyard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed 5 nights. First time in Savannah, but not in Georgia. This Courtyard is below par when compared to others in different states. The hotel was understaffed during the Monday thru Friday work week. First two days were as expected. But things started to slip downhill bit 3rd day and beyond. Starting with the 3rd day the house cleaning forgot to leave cups for my coffee pot (which leaked). I know this is minor, but do they use a checklist? May be a suggestion there. Also, I requested a wake up call and never received it. This is my backup to my phone. Lastly, I came in late from work one evening and the front desk wasn't manned. I picked up a bottled water, waited, and decided to pay for it the next day. From my traveling experiences this hotel leaves the front desk unmanned more than any other. No bistro for breakfast, but they do have a restaurant buffet. In the evenings they set up a bar. Hotel is within walking distance to a few local eateries. The hotel is a bit outdated to me as well. It is a quiet place which I enjoyed the most. Some colleagues I travelled with complained of the sewage backup smell in the morning which the staff said was the local paper mill nearby. I didn't experience that on the 5th floor. 2 treadmills in the exercise room was nice also. I would stay here again as the staff interaction made up for the minor concerns, very pleasant people. When I return to the area in the future I will check out the other Marriott properties first before rebooking at this hotel. Thanks for reading and a video on my youtube channel.

Pros:
- Staff
- Quiet
- Exercise Room
- Location to River Street

Cons:
- Smell
- Housekeeping

RetiredArmyRANGER
Platinum Rewards Member

Room Tip: 5th Floor away from the elevators and always ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RetiredArmyRANGER
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear RetiredArmyRANGER,
Let me first thank you for your review. We genuinely appreciate the feedback we get from our guests as it helps us to better our service and hotel overall.
Room attendants do have a checklist and should have caught/replaced the missing coffee cups.
The missing wakes up calls are very concerning and I have asked our engineer to look into what the issue might have been in our room. We will definitely get this resolved and appreciate you letting us know.
We have addressed the issue of the front desk not being manned. There was a desk agent but he was not up at the front as he was supposed to be. This is unacceptable and I am sorry that you experienced that. We have taken this seriously and have taken action to ensure it does not happen again.
As for the smell... When I first moved to Savannah, I was walking outside in the downtown area and was overwhelmed by a strong odor. Smelled like rotten eggs. I figured someone was doing work on a sewer line or something like that and headed back home. A few days later, I was walking in the door of our lobby and there was that odor again. As you might imagine, I became very concerned and brought my engineer and housekeeping manager down to the lobby to help me investigate what it was. That was when I learned of what they jokingly referred to as the "Savannah Stink." It is indeed from the pulp plant and is from sulfur gases that are released. Unfortunately, when the plant runs and releases those gases, it affects the entire area of Savannah. I live 15 miles away and have smelled it in my home. Luckily, it is not an all the time thing but is definitely noticeable when it happens.
Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Derrick Pair
912-790-8287

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in a king bedroom suite at this hotel for three nights. The suite had a door separating the bedroom and living area. The living area had a sink, fridge, and microwave. The suite was pretty large. The bed was a little too firm for my liking, but still comfy. Small balcony off of the living room had a view of a courtyard and outdoor pool (we were on the 4th floor). The location of the property is within walking distance of all the sights but far enough away that the streets are quiet at night. There is only valet parking here, which you have to pay for, but they are relatively quick to get your car out (just call ahead). One time I forgot smoething in my trunk, and they let me just walk in the garage to go get it (rather than bringing out the car to the curb). Makes you wonder why they wouldn't allow self-parking... Breakfast is not included in the rate, but we did eat the hot breakfast buffet every morning. It was decent enough. Highlight is they will make you an omelet. Overall, this location is decent for the Savannah downtown historic area.

Room Tip: Go for a suite and you will have plenty of space.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is your average courtyard hotel. Nothing interesting, nothing special.

My major criticisms are (1) there was no hair dryer in the room - I can't remember being in a hotel in 30 years that did not have a hair dryer, (2) they do not appear properly staffed - it took 30 minutes for my valet-parked car to be delivered, (3) the lack of a restaurant, (4) the hotel it is 4-5 blocks from the river area (not a route I would want to walk in the evening), and (5) the room was not cleaned well - it is always a question when you find pubic hair in the bath tub.

If you plan in spending a lot of your time at the river, there are a number of hotels that are much closer with a restaurant.

Room Tip: Look at getting a hotel closer to the River.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear JJS3,
First I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate the feedback.
All our rooms are supposed to have hair dryers. They are put into a black bag and stored in the closet just behind the vanity. We do not use the wall mount hair dryers as they generally are not as good of quality. I will follow up with our housekeeping staff to ensure that all of our rooms have hair dryers in the closets.
The wait for your car is not acceptable. Our goal is to get your car much faster than that. We have set up a system to allow our guests to call down prior to leaving the hotel so we can have the car out front waiting for them. I apologize that this did not happen and I will address this with our valet staff. We must do better than this.
We do have a restaurant for breakfast but currently do not serve lunch or dinner. I know that this can be an inconvenience at times. There are some great options with in just a few paces of the hotel that offer great dinner and lunch options. This is something we are looking to do in the future.
Hair in the bathroom is gross. I would hate to find it in my bathroom and you should not have had it in yours.
I am sorry that these issues occurred. I will use this survey as a training opportunity in our next staff meeting tomorrow.
Your feedback is important and is utilized in training our staff and improving our hotel.

Derrick
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on our first visit to Savannah recently. Excellent location, walking distance to just about everything, just a block or so away from the visitors center and trolley tours.
Very friendly and accommodating staff, extremely clean and well kept up hotel. Made for a pleasant stay and would certainly return here if in the area again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
nyc2trvl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Located on the edge of the historic district, close to the visitors center, this hotel is a great place to stay while visiting Savannah. Savannah is a very walkable city and everything is easily accessible from your doorstep. Staff are top notch and were accommodating at any time of the day or night. I arrived on Thanksgiving evening, without reservation, and was easily accommodated. I would imagine this was more to do with the Thanksgiving holiday rather than a norm so reservations are probably recommended.
I do like everything about this property and will most likely stay here again on my next visit.

There is paid parking available at the hotel but a car is not really necessary in Savannah as everything is within walking distance. I had a car as I was covering some distance on this trip, access to the car was not problem with as much in and out valet service as needed for the same daily rate (~14.00 per day)

Breakfast service is available although I did not try it so cannot comment.

Room Tip: My room was located on the side of the building that seemed to be always in the sun, this made for e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in November 2012 and were very impressed. The staff at the front desk are very courteous and made us feel immediately welcome.
The hotel concierge is also very helpful and she makes sure you have all the visitor information you need before heading off to go sightseeing. We bought the Old Savannah Trolley tour tickets from her and that was an excellent tour! Any tour tickets you buy from the concierge are added to your hotel bill, instead of having to pay for them separately.
The lobby is sparkling clean and nicely decorated. The mini-store is fully stocked at all times and items are reasonably priced.
Our room was very comfortable, spotlessly clean with the most comfortable king bed!! It's a quiet hotel which made it perfect for sleeping in.
They valet park all cars and it costs $14 a day and is billed to your room.
Across from the hotel is a memorial of a Revolutionary War battle and also an interesting train museum. Also on the opposite corner is the Visitor Center where you catch all the various tour buses.
We would definitely recommend staying at this hotel!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the back of the hotel and the pool. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrea T, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hi JoAnne,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to Savannah and for sharing your review. We were thrilled to read how you enjoyed our location, services and food quality. We will celebrate those with our Ambassadors as we do so enjoy when we go above and beyond our guests' expectations.Thank you again and we look forward to your return.
Harwich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I recently took a 2 week "road trip" around the southeast U.S.,staying primarily at Marriott hotels. This was one of the best. We were greeted by a very friendly and enthuiastic bellman which created an instant good vibe. Desk staff were friendly and helpful as well. The downtown historic district has to be experienced on foot and this hotel is perfectly located to accomplish this. Oh and by the way the room was very nice too,clean and nicely appointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple