“Nothing has changed.”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed August 25, 2014

It had been sixteen months, and we anticipated an acknowledgement of our absence from the restaurant, but you would have assumed that we were weekly customers. It was the usual non personal and efficient service from a waiter that we have known for many years. The spring roll was average, the steamed pale green vegetable dumplings looked suspiciously as though they had food coloring, and the sauteed dry (they are oily) string beans were satisfyingly salty. The ubiquitous fortune cookie ended the unremarkable vegetarian meal. Average food, in above average ambiance for a Chinese restaurant in Savannah, while listening to music by Bach.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went for lunch and the service was very good. Nice atmosphere and clean. The food was acceptable. We had a shrimp dish that was very good and the schezuan beef was fair. The meals came with a side salad which I thought was strange, an egg roll, and fried rice. This restaurant certainly was not good enough for us to return.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Reading the reviews here I can honestly say I've never had a horrible meal, or seen bugs and such, and the wait staff was always kind and attentive. Of course, I'm a China lover and speak Chinese, so maybe that helps a little. This place used to be better, though, and the prices are rather high for the quality you get, which is pretty close to Chinese take-out in Savannah. If you want anything even vaguely authentic, put the regular menu aside and ask for the Chinese menu--don't worry, it has both Chinese and English titles so you have some idea of what you're ordering. The Hui Guo Rou (second-cooked bacon) is actually fairly close to what I had in Beijing--not crispy American style bacon, but tender, moist, juicy slices stir-fried with recognizably Chinese vegetables. The Yu Xiang Qiezi, or "Fish Fragrant Eggplant" (no actual fish flavor, it's just a poetic term), is dark and rich, just like in Beijing--a bit heavier and lacking in green onion and other vegetables to lighten it up, but still good--at $9.95 per serving it's a lot to pay for a stir-fried vegie item, though. The jiaozi, or pork dumplings, steamed and served in a layer of hot pepper oil are more authentic than fried wonton, though you can find those here too, if you want. Forget the "Peking Duck", just don't even go there--believe me, as an old China hand, it is not even recognizable as that dish. The hubby likes the Subgum Wonton and pork-fried rice--nothing special here, but tasty enough. The shrimp toast comes served on a lettuce leaf, which is weird for a deep-fried appetizer, and is rather tough and chewy, with none of the delicacy of flavor and texture you'd expect. The food is fairly plentiful, but again, it's just not particularly authentic. Those who love Beijing style noodles--which they serve here--will also be disappointed--they're rather tasteless versions of the real thing. All told, you'll probably come out with a bigger bill than you want, so consider going to a decent take-out place like Bamboo Garden up by Savannah Mall instead--the food is of similar quality and a lot cheaper. I didn't notice the place was dirty, and the usual Chinese art, embossed screens and cool green walls do give it a certain elegance--but you will not find the old-fashioned beauty of China here, nor the food. The sad fact is, Savannah, GA has NO authentic Chinese restaurant. I've been here with Chinese friends, asking for well-loved dishes (like the Dan-Dan noodles) and even they concurred that the food was just not up to par. Like I stated, not horrible, not great, even decent in some instances, but not inspired or authentic.

2  Thank Heart_of_Imladris
Reviewed April 29, 2014

First and foremost, the first time I picked up food here for take out, they only put FOUR wontons in our LARGE wonton soup. I thought it was a mistake. Any other place puts in about 10-12 at the same cost.
The food is decent, but certainly forgettable. The restaurant needs to be updated, and does feel a bit dirty. We have had food just as good at your 2 star walk-in, take-out places. I am from a big city though, and just used to better Chinese food. I would rate the food a 6.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

They messed up my order and forgot the shrimp fried rice. The incredibly rude owner said it was his fault and he would give me one for free. When I go to pick it up he wanted to charge me $850! He lied and said he didn't care. I told him I will never go back and he said "bye man". What an ignorant, rude man. The service is bad and the food is mediocre. When I starting eating some of the food that they got right on my order there were strange crunchy things that looked like bugs. The only thing I ever ate there was the shrimp because the chicken tasted weird and had a strange texture. I will never go there again.