“Gorgeous hotel but lacks service”

Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, GA
“Gorgeous hotel but lacks service”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This was out first trip to Savannah and we chose the Westin based on a friend's recommendation. This hotel makes an amazing first impression. The exterior is grand, the lobby is gorgeous and the grounds are perfectly kept. The riverfront location can't be beat - we loved watching the huge cargo ships going up and down the river all day. This hotel is located across the river from downtown Savannah so you must take a ferry to get to most things. The ferry runs on a prompt schedule so it's really not a hassle.

I say this hotel lacks service because during my stay I got sick with a 24 hour stomach flu. I spent the first day of my vacation in bed, unable to eat anything. We made several calls to room service thoughout the day to order Gatorade and water. We let them know I was sick and needed these items quickly. They didn't care - one order took an hour and 45 minutes - for a drink. There is just no excuse for that. I understand they have other guests they are trying to take care of, but when a guest teels you they are in bed sick and they need a drink, it shouldn't take that long.

Thankfully on the second day of our vacation I felt much better and we were able to sightsee. We decided that the next time we are in Savannah, we will be staying somewhere on the otherside. It would have been so much more convenient to walk out your front door and be in the heart of the action. Like I said, they ferry wasn't a big hassle, but not as easy as being right there.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel and I wouldn't discourage people from staying here because of my one bad experience. Just know that things may be a little slow.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
I would like to thank you for your recent stay with our property! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetics of the property as well as the beautiful riverfront location. I am sorry that the beginning of your stay was compromised due to the flu. Our room service department is typically on the ball with delivering requests in an appropriate time frame and I apologize for the longer than usual wait that you experienced during your stay. Please let us know if we can assist you with any concerns and we hope to see you back again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We got a great deal on the room since there were no conventions in town. The location is great and the views from the hotel are amazing. The water taxi to River Street is a great feature. The hotel was nice and quiet, and we didn't hear other guests the entire time we were there. The hotel is fairly new, and the rooms and bathrooms are nice. The only negative is that the employees don't know when the water taxi comes. We were given several different answers, and finally got a printed schedule from the 3rd employee we talked to. He however did not tell us the correct place to catch the taxi, so we had to wait for the next one. Overall the hotel was an excellent choice!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay! Our views of the Savannah River and of the golf course are beautiful and we are glad that you enjoyed them. The ferry is a convenience for accessing downtown and we thank you for your feedback regarding the ferry schedule. We hope to have the opportunity to create another great experience for you in the future!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I enjoyed my stay. You are a short ferry or shuttle ride from downton Savannah. We had two joined rooms overlooking the harbor. What an amazing view. My autistic son's favorite activity was watching the container boats go by the big windows. He would crane his neck to see them. Everyone there was so helpful and accomodating to us. This was my first stay at Westin, but it won't be my last. Westin is a class act!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I would first like to say that this hotel definitely knows the meaning of hospitality! I spent my birthday weekend at this hotel in January and it was wonderful. I arrivied early with friends and our rooms were not quite ready. This was fine as we did arrive way before check-in time. After the suggestion of the concierge staff, namely Teresa, my friend and I decided to take the very convenient ferry to the Historic District. Teresa, was very helpful in offering restaurant suggestions and local information of the Historic District. She even called restaurants to check for availability since I was looking for a place to celebrate my birthday dinner.

As soon as our room was ready, I received a call from the Front Desk notifying me that we could check-in. My friends and I untilized most areas of the hotel including the bar/lounge, the restaurant, and the Spa. I only can say that my expectations were exceeded during my staff because of the hotel's great staff. Teresa in concierge was also sweet enough to send me a nice little treat for my birthday!

I will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next trip to Savannah and hope that others will consider staying at the hotel too! The location is great, even though it is across the river. You really get that resort feel in a touristy city.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your birthday while staying at our resort! Our resort has an array of unique amenities and we are excited that you were able to experience Midnight Sun, Aqua Star, and our Heavenly Spa. Your pleasant encounter with Teresa gives us pride to have her on our team. She strives to always please our guests and we are lucky to have her. We sincerely hope that we will be able to create memorable experiences for you again in the future and thank you for choosing our resort for your birthday destination.
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Lovely hotel on island in the middle of the river. We have decided that it's a good idea to stay in the conference hotel when you are planning to attend many meetings, especially breakfast meetings that start at 7am. The views of the river and of Savannah proper are wonderful; I was happy to stand and stare out the window when the huge boats plowed past!
You will have a dilemma, though. If you stay on the island, it is slightly less convenient to do things in town and you have to add time for your ferry boat ride across. At peak times, the ferry could be full and you might have to wait for the next one. They run frequently but you need to add in that time in order to get to your dinner or walking tour reservation!
outdoor pool along river was undergoing reconstruction when i visited but it looked beautiful.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and view while at the resort! We are very fortunate to be located on the beautiful Hutchinson Island which offers our guests a gorgeous view of the Savannah River and historical downtown. It is always neat to see the huge boats passing by on the river. Ther ferry boat is a nice option for getting to the other side of the river, but I agree that if you have a reservation across the river, that it is best to give yourself at least an extra fifteen minutes to arrive on time. We hope to have you back soon and that you are able to enjoy our beautiful pool in the warmer climate which offers a view that can only be described as "breath taking."
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I think I might have enjoyed this hotel more during the warmer months. Husband was there on business and I tagged along. Room was decent size but nothing really stands out for me about this hotel. Dirty glasses were left in room after cleaning along with some trash. Shower head was nice. Food was average although I did enjoy the Sunday jazz brunch there. Fitness center is lacking for my standards.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed our Sunday jazz brunch which is voted #1 by the city's locals. The restaurant offers a delightful view of the river and a pleasant ambiance with live jazz music by the local jazz legend, Ben Tucker. I would like to thank you for your feedback and sincerely apologize for your experience with the dirty glasses and trash left in your room. Cleanliness is a priority at our resort and I can assure you that your experience has been addressed. I hope that you will come to visit again in the summer when it is a bit warmer for you to enjoy our newly renovated pool as well as all of the history that Savannah has to offer.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights, and got tickets to the semi-formal "Imagine" New Year's Eve Ball. It was held at the Westin, 8-1 am, and the price of tickets included dinner, open bar, dancing (with a band), and toast at midnight. Let me start with the hotel--it's nice, but my husband and I were upset to see the $20.33 "resort fee" and other random "misc fees" we had to pay. They said it was for use of the ferry, spa, parking, whatever, but it should be included in the price of the room.

Our room was cleaned every day, very quiet, and we were never bothered by the staff if our "do not disturb" sign was out (this has been a problem in many hotels we've stayed in). The beds were comfortable, and the double shower head was great. The greenway and the view were beautiful, and the lounge was an enjoyable place for drinks.

Now, the NYE ball. We dressed up, and got our tickets at Will Call, chose a table, and sat down. The dinner was a buffet, and the food was actually really good. The band was HORRENDOUS. Mike and the Mixers. Terrible covers, terrible singers, and poor choices of "dance music." Around midnight there was an announcement that people could choose to watch fireworks outside over the harbor or stay indoors for the balloon drop; so people poured out of the ballroom down the stairs to watch at midnight. It was foggy, so no one could see anything (no one's fault, but I wish they would have said so), so we went back upstairs to dance. The BAND PACKED UP AT 12:35. No kidding. Everyone came back in, cheering, and excited, and they played the Ren and Stimpy theme song, and DONE. We were horribly disappointed with that.

Savannah is beautiful, and we will definitely go again, but not for New Year's. The Westin would be fine to stay at another time, but the next time we travel there, we probably will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinSav, Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
We are thankful that you selected our resort to welcome the New Year! We are pleased to hear that the food was delicious and that you enjoyed the comfort and view of our rooms. Our rooms offer spectacular views of the golf course and of the charming Savannah River. Our signature guest room amenities such as the Heavenly bed and the Heavenly dual shower heads add a nice touch to the Westin experience. It is unfortunate that we were not able to exceed your expectations, as it is our personal goal to do so for each and every one of our guests. Our ability to grow as a resort is made possible through the feedback that we receive from our guests, whether it is positive or for areas of improvement. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions which we will take into account when planning our next New Year’s event. While Savannah is a beautiful city, sometimes the weather can be a bit unpredictable; however, in the future it would be a great idea to inform our guests of poor weather when hosting an event such as the New Year’s Eve ball. We would genuinely like to have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a truly unforgettable experience. Thank you once again for staying with us and for your feedback!