“Loved Savannah & The Westin”

Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, MA
“Loved Savannah & The Westin”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in Savannah for a little get away. This was the perfect resort for us due to the golf course and spa. We golfed several times .. the course was never overcrowded, even with a tournament one of the days. We didn't encounter any bugs on the course and golfed both early morning and late afternoon. I had a massage at the Spa .. wonderful! Loved the convenience to downtown and the fact that you didn't have to drive if you didn't want to. There was free parking at the Westin. We spent one day going to Tybee Island .. typical beach resort. The sand was smooth and shell free, however, the water looked brown. It was too cold for us to swim. We did see some dolphins both at the beach and in the river behind the resort. We went to dinner one night at Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) which was typical southern cooking. The food was good, but felt like a production. You had to stand in line at 8:30 am to make a reservation for that same day or evening. It was fun once, but that was enough for me. I wouldn't go back .. too many other great restaurants. Forsythe Park is at the far end of Savannah, but don't miss it. It's beautiful and the road around the park is lined with old time southern mansions. Loved Savannah and the Westin and plan to return!

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed October 21, 2009

This is not the first time we have stayed. 3 years ago it ws nice but the room smelled heavy of smoke. The room renovation was beautiful. Both times we stayed it was for a convention next door at the convention center. I really like to close proximity, especially when working a booth all day!

The ferry over to the historic area can be fun, but patience is needed, it didn't run on schedule at all! If you are out past 12 plan on taking a cab back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Mt Gretna, PA
Reviewed October 16, 2009

The Westin is a nice enough property with convenient location to downtown Savannah. No real complaints except for the unpleasant odor that occassionally wafted through the the 12th floor...so strong it even woke me several times during my stay. I guess I would reccommend, the Westing needs to do something about the smell. Consider odor neutralizing HVAC or something!

Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This is the third time in just over two years that I have stayed at this hotel. I stayed there for my honeymoon in September 2007, for a convention in October 2008 and for the same convention last weekend (October 9-11, 2009). The first time was perfect - I guess it is easy to please newlyweds. We had a beautiful room overlooking the river and the historic part of Savannah. When we ate in the restaurant for dinner one night, the waiter recognized that we were on our honeymoon and had a special dessert made with hearts on it. When I came last year with my mother, the only complaint was the banquet staff. They were understaffed and somewhat unprofessional at all of the meals we had. This year they made up for it. The meals were great and they had enough staff. They were much more polite and helpful. Each time I have stayed at the hotel, the bellhops and reception staff were more than polite. The rooms have been updated since my last visit, with large flat screen TVs and new furniture. The only complaint this time was that the door was not fully closed after our room was cleaned on Saturday. Thankfully nothing was taken but it was certainly cause for alarm. My husband played golf on Saturday and said that the course is in great shape. Remember to bring your bug spray though, as the mosquitoes are bad on the course.

Midwest
Reviewed October 12, 2009

checked in for 2 nights for a business conference. smooth check-in, spotless hotel, nice staff, very good food, multiple restaurant/bar on site plus multi screen movie theater located down a long hallway. The staff must be proud of this hotel as I noticed nothing but top notch service, cleanliness etc. As a very frequent traveler this was a pleasant surprise. The suite I was in was top notch too. Not quite 5 star facility but 4.5
you would need to rent a car to the city or cab it, too far to walk from the hotel location.

griffin
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I loved the free ferry rides across the river. They ran up until midnight and gave your feet a rest if only for ten minutes! The people were nice. Some shops were without air, but nice breeze blowing,or it was raining. My stay was at the Westin resort. It is a beautiful hotel. I liked how the pool overlooked the river. Every room has such a nice view.

Charleston, SC
Reviewed October 7, 2009

This was the second time my husband and I stayed at this hotel. We enjoyed everything! We ate several times at midnight sun ( the casual lounge). Food was always great and service very good. We also enjoyed breakfast at Aqua star westaurant. (We didn't come late enought for the brunch buffet, but it looked amazing! I am a starwood platinum guest, and they were able to upgrade us at no charge. We had free s'mores Saturday night at the fire pit as part of their "Westin Relax" program. The room was comfortable, and we had a wonderful balcony overlooking the Savannah river. Our dogs were welcomed. The managers took time to "meet and greet" the dogs. Of course, we had to pay a dog fee, but is was comperable to what we would have paid for the kennel. We will definitely go back! -MJ

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business