“Not a 4 Diamond hotel anymore”

Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Not a 4 Diamond hotel anymore”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I decided to take my girlfriend away for a nice weekend to Savannah. It was our first trip to the area, and wanted a resort type facility with a nice spa instead of the traditional b & b. Chose the Westin based on reviews and reputation. I have to say I was HUGELY disappointed. We arrived at 6:20pm Friday, only to be told the room was not ready and it would be at least an additional hour before we could check in. No apology was offered, just a come back in an hour. I literally stood there with my jaw hanging to the ground. I received better customer service at a La Quinta! After approximately 90 minutes, I received a phone call our room was ready. The room we were assigned, room 1001, was a big disappointment. There was peeling paint in the bathroom shower area, the refridgerator did not cool, and the damper for the air condition banged everytime the A/C, which would wake anyone up. Additionally, our river view room overlooking the pool area showed how the pool had not been cleaned in awhile. We spoke to the front desk and the lady just looked at us as if we were crazy and offered no resolution.
We woke up Saturday, and decided to try the Aqua Star restaurant for breakfast, since there were some decent reviews online for the Sunday jazz brunch. It was a big disappointment as well. The buffet was ice cold, and the coffee they claimed to be starbuck tasted as if it was two weeks old.
The only saving grace to the hotel was the spa. We had a couples massage at the spa, and were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived at the spa. The staff and service they delivered was outstanding.
For the amount of a room here, skip it. There are much better places to stay than the Westin. It certainly is not up to par with normal Westin standards.

2 Thank Brian G
WestinSav, Dan Kakabeeke, Director of Operations at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank-you for the helpful feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that it did not go as well as hoped. I am glad that we were able to connect via email to discuss some of these service challenges. We use this information as a training opportunity with our staff to ensure like experiences will not to happen going forward. Thank-you for your kind comments regarding our Spa staff.

Best regards,
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very accomodating. Property is very nice. Sink was clogged, light didn't work on make-up mirror. Told the desk as we were leaving for dinner. Til we got back they fixed everything. Nice having the water taxi across the river to Old Savannah.

Room Tip: Choice between overlooking the river and Old Savannah or the Golf course. Both very nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WestinSav, Mark Spadoni, General Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We hope should travels bring you back to Savannah, we would have the opportunity to serve you again.
Le Meridien
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Thank you to the whole team of Mark Spadoni and Ms. Irene Rene....who catored to our every need. Enjoyed the ferri ride to Savannah daily, The grounds were beautiful and well kept, enjoyed the smores nightly and having the outdoor game room was a definate bonus. Oh yes and Mary the conceriege was very helpful as well, with a rental car and restaurant reservations. Thank you to all the staff members

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinSav, Mark Spadoni, General Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share such nice comments. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time. Congratulations on celebrating 25 wonderful years of marriage. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to celebrate many more!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was a long overdue weekend getaway for my husband and I, and this resort exceeded our expectations. The property itself is beautiful, we rode complimentary bikes all around the area almost every day, we enjoyed sitting out by fire pit in the evenings and we used the gym daily as well...the water taxi is a terrific bonus for getting to downtown Savannah. The rooms are are clean and comfortable.
We did not pay extra for a "river view", but if you get a room on the very end of the hotel, you have one anyway out the side window....nice little surprise and bonus.

My only complaint about the entire weekend........ Make absolutely certain you ask what else is going on at the resort when you plan to be there. They won't volunteer the information. The weekend we were there there was some sort of racing weekend going on, and the noise from the track was awful and started every morning around 7am and went on ALL day. We are early risers, but if I had planned to sleep in I would have been really upset....and if my husband had booked a tee time,or I had booked s a spa service, we would have been livid because the golf course and the spa are right beside the track. It was so loud, we could hear the noise from the cars when we were running on the treadmills in the gym. . My husband is a racing fan, and we know the noise is part of the sport.... and I am sure it was a great weekend for those folks, but someone should have told us when we booked our stay that this was going to be part of our weekend.
We will return, overall, we had a great time and this resort is the best we've seen in Savannah.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room at the very end of the hallway, you'll get a river view out your side wind...
1 Thank cak0331
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed our Resort and that we exceeded your expectations. Please know that our Concierge and Service Express Agents are always available to let our guests know about the local events and what activities are available.

I apologize that you didn't have this information ahead of time. Please call 912.201.2000 before your next visit so we can provide this information and help you plan your activities in advance. Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit.
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and myself thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and all it had to offer. The room was incredibly comfortable with a king bed that allowed each of us a good night 's rest. Our "view" was of the front parking lot, but at least we were on 5th floor and away from noise. The room was clean, comfortable with a comfy chair, desk and plenty of plug-ins for gadgets, large flat screen tv, and Starbucks coffee station for morning coffee. The closet was big enough with plenty of hangers for both of us to hang clothing. The bathroom was smaller than some hotels, but we each had room to get ready, one at a time, and it was very clean with nice rain forest shower head. We ate at Legends across the road, accessing via shuttle. Great casual food. The hotel bar/lounge offered drinks, food menu, and Starbucks for simple & relaxing enjoyment. We utilized the free Ferry to cross over to River Street and tour Historic Savannah. Great Southern city to visit. We plan on returning, and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a River view for a quieter room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were there in October 2012 for a wedding and were impressed from arrival to departure(a three night stay).
The rooms are lovely with a great view. The staff from greeters to cleaners were friendly and efficient. The pool area and general grounds were well kept and there always seemed to be something going on. The free "river shuttle" to Savannah is wonderful and we used it many times as it runs all day and well into the evening! We ate at the bar which was very good and the meal at the wedding was excellent! No disappointments here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinSav, Mark Spadoni, General Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am pleased to hear such nice compliments about our Resort and how much you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope that should travels bring you back to Savannah, we would have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my second time at the property. It is a beautiful resort and in a wonderful location. I would definitely stay here again. However, on this trip I think they were booked solid and had a few events going on -- therefore -- whether they weren't ready, or didn't have enough staff I don't know -- but the ferry that takes you to River Street was late and would randomly skip stops to try to get back on schedule so you thought you would be getting dropped at one end of River Street and then you would land at the other end only to be told, "we skipped that this time". So, this made it hard to plan. On Saturday after returning to our room around 9pm we found our room had been cleaned but a large bag of trash had been left in the middle of the floor. Quite frankly I don't know how it was missed --- I had to step over it to use the phone to call someone and tell them about it. Now, they did give us the night free --- so that made up for it. Anyway --- as I said, I would stay again -- it really is a great property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for being such a loyal Starwood guest and for choosing to stay at The Westin Savannah. I appreciate you sharing nice compliments about our resort as well as concerns about the areas that you found we could improve upon. I am glad to know that our staff quickly took care of you and made up for the oversight with housekeeping. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Savannah.