“Consistently Short Changed”

Papa's BBQ & Seafood
Ranked #164 of 908 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Papa's has been Making Hungry People Happy Since 1972. We take pride in serving quality smoked meats, fresh seafood and other fine foods. All of our bar-b-qued menu items are slow cooked right here in our wood-fired pit. Only the freshest Shrimp, Flounder, Tilapia and Oysters are prepared at Papa's. All of our Soups, Salads and Sandwiches are fresh made on site everyday and we also have a Kids Menu. Papa's BBQ & Seafood is a full service restaurant with a full bar. We can accommodate large parties and have plenty of free parking only minutes away from Downtown Savannah and Tybee Island.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I am a local, and I go to Papa's quite frequently. The food is fairly good and the prices are average, yet they have started something recently that I equate to theft. They round up your bill and when you pay, you get back the dollars that equate to the rounded up price. For instance, if you owe $9.24 and you give them a $20 bill, you get back $10. This has happened on numerous occasions, so I do not attribute it to a fluke occurrence. I went to Papas the other day, and each of us paid separately. When we added up the amount we were shorted, it totaled over $2. Imagine the amount of money they make doing this with every patron. I am posting this review in the hopes that they will see the error of their ways and change their policy. They do have good food, but it's a shame that they feel the need to cheat their customers.

PapaBBQSeafood, Public Relations Manager at Papa's BBQ & Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

We apologize that you had this experience at our restaurant. This is not our policy. Please contact co-owner Judy Ouzts at your earliest convenience at (912) 897-0236. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Barbecue is excellent but tonight there was a shrimp and grits special. OMG!!! Mine were blackened and delicious! Best part of the experience was my server. Her name was Susan and she was phenomenal. Great place for groups and catering too. Kudos!!!!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have only had shrimp dinner once and felt it was overpriced and not many shrimp. So now, I stick to ordering what can not be matched elsewhere. The large 1/2 shrimp salad sandwich and bowl of crab stew. WONDERFUL !!! My DIL thinks the Brunswick stew is the best. The fried green tomatoes (if on the menu) cannot be beat. I almost forgot, we did try the crab dip and it was the best.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

During a recent vacation on Tybee Island, I wanted a barbeque sandwich. Since it was 8:15pm, I quickly drove to Papa's BBQ to see if I could make it before they closed. I got there close to closing, and the host was very welcoming, even though I was coming in right before they closed. The menu has lots of selection, but I went for the half sandwich and soup. The half sandwich was a small barbeque sandwich. For the soup I chose Brunswick Stew. The sandwich was really tasty, and I didn't mind the sauce at all. I've noticed other reviewers say the sauce isn't any good. Well, the sauce is on the side, so after tasting it, if you don't like it, don't use it! However, I must say that the Brunswick Stew was the BEST I've had in a long, long time. It was really thick, and full of meat and veggies and goodness. Once I tasted it, I wished I'd simply ordered a big bowl of the Brunswick Stew! I'll be visiting Savannah in spring, and plan to make a stop at Papa's again, just for that delicious stew!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Savannah. They have been a favorite of mine for years!! Love the shrimp salad and chicken salad sandwiches and BBQ on 2 buns. Always look forward to my visits to Wilmington Island from Pooler to enjoy their great food and service. I also enjoy seeing the owners Frank and Judy. They are great people and do everything they can to ensure you enjoy your visit!!!