“Not bad but not great”

Papa's BBQ & Seafood
Ranked #182 of 897 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Papa's has been Making Hungry People Happy Since 1972. We take pride in serving quality smoked meats, fresh seafood and other fine foods. All of our bar-b-qued menu items are slow cooked right here in our wood-fired pit. Only the freshest Shrimp, Flounder, Tilapia and Oysters are prepared at Papa's. All of our Soups, Salads and Sandwiches are fresh made on site everyday and we also have a Kids Menu. Papa's BBQ & Seafood is a full service restaurant with a full bar. We can accommodate large parties and have plenty of free parking only minutes away from Downtown Savannah and Tybee Island.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had a group that couldn't decide what they wanted, so Papa's was recommended. Our group had a mix of seafood and BBQ.

The seafood was pretty good and the portions were acceptable for the prices. The BBQ-eaters said the same thing. The sides were met with mixed reviews -- the brunswick stew and crab stew was very good, the fries were fine, but the fried okra was mushy.

The service was OK. There were seven of us on a Thursday night at 8 pm -- bigger party on a slower night -- and they had no problems seating us immediately. The food was a little slow in getting to us. 2 of the 7 drinks were incorrect (Cokes vs Diet Cokes; sweet tea vs unsweet tea), but they were eventually corrected. The waitress was very apologetic and we had no other problems beyond the drinks.

The prices were reasonable and the food good enough to try again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Easy parking, great service, large menu selection. I had the ribs and did not really care for the BBQ sauce. However, there are many other items on the menu so I will go back. Portions are very large and lots of locals eat here.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had planned on going to a different BBQ place that wasn't open, so we found Papa's on the way back to our hotel. We had the beef brisket and BBQ pork. Both were pretty good, slightly above average compared to other BBQ places. While it was good, I probably wouldn't go back if I was back in town. The service was excellent!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Savannah is full of restraunts and it can be kind of overwhelming when deciding. We decided to drive away from the historic district to see what we could find. We happened to come across this restaraunt. The place is very nice and clean, we was greeted by out server quickly. She was awesome!! I wished I had gotten her name but I forgot. The food was out very quick and was great. I had the BBQ ribs and my wife had the pulled pork. Both was very good and the price was very reasonable considering all the food we got. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for BBQ, Sandwiches or Salads. I dont know about their seafood since we didnt try any of it.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ate here during sprink break 2013. We try to find the local flavors when traveling and decided to try this placed based on the TA reviews. I have a hard time finding bad 'cue in the south but managed to this time. We had the ribs and they were dry and tough. The mustard sauce was average at best. The cole slaw had NO flavor, even after I doused it with pepper. The staff was young and disinterested to the point of rudness. My wife had shrimp that was colder than the plate it was served on. When we got back to the hotel and told them where we ate, they laughed and said the locals don't eat there and I understand why.

1  Thank Rwinks685
PapaBBQSeafood, Social Media Manager at Papa's BBQ & Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thanks for you review. We want to make sure that everyone at Papa's is happy with both our food and our service. We appreciate that you shared your experience with us. We would love to talk to your more about your visit to Papa's. Please call us at (912) 897-0236 and ask for Judy.