“Authentic French Bistro Food”
Review of Circa 1875

Circa 1875
Reserve with OpenTable
Circa 1875 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 909 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broughton
Description: Historic French bistro, and pub in the heart of the historic district in downtown Savannah. Extensive wine list.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The service was charming and the menu simple, but authentic. A good place for Steak Frites, grilled fish, Mussles and other French Bistro fare. Good wine list.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We chose this particular restaurant because we had had Southern food two nights in a row so fancied a change.
Our waiter was attentive and the food was very good.
Unfortunately the ambience was sadly lacking and certainly not intimate for a couple!
We were wedged between two other tables and were unfortunate to have some obnoxious know it all who obviously wanted everyone around him to hear his self absorbed banter.. Much to his Mothers obvious embarrassment?
I think it would be useful if the restaurant reconfigured the dinning layout to enhance the ambience.

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here Saturday night and it was a fabulous experience from start to finish. My trout, which I had with the spinach at the recommendation of the owner, was the best seafood dish I've had in years. My husband's lamb shank was falling off the bone delicious. Our waiter Steve was great also, never obtrusive but always there when needed. Its our favorite bar for drinks and atmosphere,but the food should not be missed.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Savannah friends suggested this spot for dinner, one of their favorites, so we went along enthusiastically - and were very disappointed. The specialty cocktails were okay, though the bourbon in my Manhattan was weak. Service was overbearing and intrusive, and I never want to have a waiter’s unsolicited opinion (as in, “Our catfish is absolutely the best fish you’ll ever have anywhere” or “oh, that’s my favorite thing on our menu”). The Caesar salad was inedible, with two greasy anchovies plopped atop the romaine and a harsh, metallic, almost spoiled taste to the dressing -- and the waiter never bothered to ask why I left virtually all of it on the plate. The “duck leg confit” in the cassoulet was just a bland-tasting whole duck leg and thigh sitting on the beans and sausage, nothing remotely resembling a proper confit. The chicken liver app was tasty and the profiterole dessert not bad, but all in all, this was a way-too expensive meal for the quality and service we got.

2  Thank Beth P
Reviewed March 19, 2014

After reading reviews and recommendations for a nice dining experience in the Historic District of Savanna, my mother and I settled on this terrific pair of dining choices and we were glad we did. After a brief stroll along the river and the dozens of dining choices there, we tucked into the saloon side of this establishment and grabbed a pair of seats at the bar. There is also a more formal, but still casual side, that was completely filled for its dinner crowd.

Mom had a terrific burger and fries and I had the steak with fries. We were both thrilled with the meal and the experience. If you are in the area, skip the standard fare along the water or the myriad choices of national chains. Do yourself a favor and take a step back into Savannah history. The bartender informed me that the location for Circa 1875 on Whittaker has had a liquor license continuously for over 130 years. Terrific food, atmosphere, and history, that are a bargain at any price.