“Overrated”
Review of Circa 1875

Circa 1875
Reserve with OpenTable
Circa 1875 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 880 Restaurants in Savannah
Cross street: Broughton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Overrated”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Savannah friends suggested this spot for dinner, one of their favorites, so we went along enthusiastically - and were very disappointed. The specialty cocktails were okay, though the bourbon in my Manhattan was weak. Service was overbearing and intrusive, and I never want to have a waiter’s unsolicited opinion (as in, “Our catfish is absolutely the best fish you’ll ever have anywhere” or “oh, that’s my favorite thing on our menu”). The Caesar salad was inedible, with two greasy anchovies plopped atop the romaine and a harsh, metallic, almost spoiled taste to the dressing -- and the waiter never bothered to ask why I left virtually all of it on the plate. The “duck leg confit” in the cassoulet was just a bland-tasting whole duck leg and thigh sitting on the beans and sausage, nothing remotely resembling a proper confit. The chicken liver app was tasty and the profiterole dessert not bad, but all in all, this was a way-too expensive meal for the quality and service we got.

2 Thank Beth P

Columbus, Ohio
“Nice Choice”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

After reading reviews and recommendations for a nice dining experience in the Historic District of Savanna, my mother and I settled on this terrific pair of dining choices and we were glad we did. After a brief stroll along the river and the dozens of dining choices there, we tucked into the saloon side of this establishment and grabbed a pair of seats at the bar. There is also a more formal, but still casual side, that was completely filled for its dinner crowd.

Mom had a terrific burger and fries and I had the steak with fries. We were both thrilled with the meal and the experience. If you are in the area, skip the standard fare along the water or the myriad choices of national chains. Do yourself a favor and take a step back into Savannah history. The bartender informed me that the location for Circa 1875 on Whittaker has had a liquor license continuously for over 130 years. Terrific food, atmosphere, and history, that are a bargain at any price.

Middletown, New York
“loved it!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

my husband and I sat at the bar to have appetizers and a couple of drinks. This was the perfect place; I had a buttery chardonay and my husband had vodka tonic. Both perfect; the wine was cool and a nice pour and the drink was not mostly ice. He had he escargot & I had mussels. Both delicious and served with a crusty bread. Then we had a plateau du chef, an assortment of cheeses, sausage, ham and fruit. So good. We ate the left over for breakfast this morning.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the bar maid, Christina, and the bar back, Dave, not really sure about his name, but they were great. Every detail was attended to; napkins, explanation of what was what on the dish, Things to see in town, We really felt like we were with friends.
We research where we spend our vacation budget; friends told us about this place and now we are telling you! This place is authentic and worth your time and money. The food was a hundred times better than Pink House

Visited March 2014
New York, NY
“French oasis in the middle of the party”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Nice French bistro in a sea of bars and taverns. Cozy atmosphere with old fashioned details that gave the place a good vibe. Good bistro menu with some standard offerings, most of which were very good -- escargot served out of the shell was a bit of a miss. Great warm bread and nice wines by the glass and attentive service rounded out the experience for a successful night. would recommend although I never like the "first come first serve" policy regarding the bar tables since it makes me feel like I have to be in attack mode to get one.

London, United Kingdom
“A friendly atmosphere in very comfortable surroundings.”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Visiting with friends who live in Savannah and eat often in this restaurant. I was not disappointed. Reminded me very much of a Parisian restaurant and the food was excellent. The menu was varied and choice was across a good price range. Would love to revisit. Made to feel very welcome.

• Visited February 2014