“Good docent tour of a work in progress. Haunted too?”
Review of Owens-Thomas House

History and Architecture Tour of Savannah
Ranked #12 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Owens-Thomas House is considered by architectural historians to be one of the finest examples of English Regency architecture in America. Inspired by classical antiquity, this style of architecture takes its name from England’s King George IV, who ruled as Prince Regent from 1811 to 1820.The house was designed by the young English architect William Jay, one of the first professionally-trained architects practicing in the United States. The elegant residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton. Mr. Richardson’s brother-in-law was married to Ann Jay, the architect’s sister. Three years after the house’s completion, Richardson suffered financial losses and sold his house, which later came under possession of the Bank of the United States.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Husband and I took this tour right after Christmas. We had a male tour guide (cannot recall his name-young man in his 20s) who was well informed and professional. We were able to ask questions without being made to feel that they were unwelcomed.

As we live in an old 1871 Italianate house, we enjoyed seeing the cistern and the other inner workings (like the lathe and plaster walls). I've made floor cloths in the past; I was impressed with those found in the house-they are extremely labor intensive.

We were having a lovely tour, but as we got ready to enter one of the bedrooms through an outside porch I suddenly experiences a sense of discomfort that was so bad that I had to stop. I stayed outside the door for a few seconds, and then entered. Although I still felt uncomfortable, it quickly passed as we left that room (the one with the children's' clothes) for an adjoining room. The rest of the tour passed without incident.

It was only as we were driving back to MI that I read the haunted Savannah tour book and saw where the author had claimed this house was haunted. Now I wish that I had asked the tour guide if they had any otherworldly visitor on these tours.

There are newer reviews for Owens-Thomas House

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The docents at the Owens-Thomas House specialize in small group tours, but my wife and I apparently arrived at just the right time as we had the good luck to end up with a private tour led by a very knowledgeable guide.

This was the 24-year old English architect William Jay's first commission in the new world and thus he apparently went all out to prove his mettle - providing indoor plumbing fed by integrated concrete cisterns and with unique architectural features such as the bridge connecting two sections of the upstairs spaces.

For three additional dollars you can also tour the two other Telfair Museums. The Telfair Academy is now the residence of the Bird Girl statue made famous by the novel and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The house has a lot of interesting and modern features for it's time. One of the best things is that the tours are done in small groups.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The bridge on the second floor - the cistern - the amazing architecture - the very impressive early plumbing - the extensive collection of original furniture - our docent who knew SO much about history, not just of the house and Savannah, but early American in general. What else can I say? My husband and I take historic home tours in every town and city we can and this was truly one of the most intact and well documented one to date.

2  Thank csharrison68
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

To think this house was built in the early 1800s is mind - boggling. It has indoor plumbing with several cisterns and some beautiful crown molding and an amber sunlight in the dining room -- great, is an understatement