“Would not be my first choice”
Review of Owens-Thomas House

History and Architecture Tour of Savannah
Ranked #12 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Owens-Thomas House is considered by architectural historians to be one of the finest examples of English Regency architecture in America. Inspired by classical antiquity, this style of architecture takes its name from England’s King George IV, who ruled as Prince Regent from 1811 to 1820.The house was designed by the young English architect William Jay, one of the first professionally-trained architects practicing in the United States. The elegant residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton. Mr. Richardson’s brother-in-law was married to Ann Jay, the architect’s sister. Three years after the house’s completion, Richardson suffered financial losses and sold his house, which later came under possession of the Bank of the United States.
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The house has some interesting features, such as, the floor coverings, and a bridge in the hallway.While the tour guides are knowledgeable, they were a bit abrupt, and seemed annoyed when asked a question. If I could only choose one house to see in Savannah, I'd go with the Mercer House, and skip this one.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our tour of the Owens Thomas House was fascinating! We knew we only had time for a few stops when we toured Savannah and I am glad that The Owens-Thomas House was the first of them. While the entire historic district is fascinating, it was a pleasure to walk through this old house and hear about the inhabitants, the construction, and the way of life for the inhabitants of the 1700s. I was very impressed with our tour guide and his knowledge of the place he was showing us. I see that Trip Advisor has changed the format for the type of visit so I will mark solo even though I was with my adult son.

1  Thank Luvsdsea
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The tour was fantastic and very informative. I am a history fanatic and loved the story that the guides told me as I walked thru the house. I asked specific questions about certain parts of the home and they were able to answer my questions fully.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

The tour started in the slave quarters and went on through the garden and into the main house. From the basement kitchen and washing rooms to the main floor and bedrooms, the tour guide gave straightforward descriptions of early Savannah life. The home is beautifully furnished with period and original pieces, and it has been restored very nicely. Definitely worth a look-and you can get a bundled ticket at the Telfair Academy.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Definitely worth the visit. House remains mostly intact. Staff extremely knowledgable and very friendly. It was amazing to see the bridge stair well and the first indoor plumbing system. The house appears to be extremely well built.