“house cool - tour guide not so much”
Review of Owens-Thomas House

History and Architecture Tour of Savannah
Ranked #20 of 225 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Owens-Thomas House is considered by architectural historians to be one of the finest examples of English Regency architecture in America. Inspired by classical antiquity, this style of architecture takes its name from England’s King George IV, who ruled as Prince Regent from 1811 to 1820.The house was designed by the young English architect William Jay, one of the first professionally-trained architects practicing in the United States. The elegant residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton. Mr. Richardson’s brother-in-law was married to Ann Jay, the architect’s sister. Three years after the house’s completion, Richardson suffered financial losses and sold his house, which later came under possession of the Bank of the United States.
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The house was cool and worth the tour but I think our tour guide had maybe been there for too long. She was not very nice and got mad at us when she kept pointing somewhere and we didn't know automatically that meant she wanted us to move there. I honestly felt like saying "use your words!". HA. Also seemed to get really mad when we asked questions although she told us too! the house did have some cool features so I wouldn't skip it but if your tour guide looks mean maybe buy a ticket for the next one!
Gift shop was nice - wide assotrment and well priced.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)
All reviews
in 42 reviews
"ask questions"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were told by a few people that this was the house to tour if we were only going to tour one house. The house contained a large number of items original to the families who lied there and our guide was very knowledgeable.

1  Thank Roadtripper1326
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This house is definately worth seeing. We just got a poor guide. We caught the tail end of another one who was much better.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I visited quite a few houses on my trip to Charleston and Savannah, and this was the worst. Sure, they were of varying degrees of interest, but this was hands down bad. I can't even say what the architecture was like because the awful tourguide was distracting me. Seriously. I just expect more from such a popular destination; this was at the level I'd expect in some small town one room museum somewhere. I must have had the same tour guide as a few of the others here. Apparently it was her first tour. She was so nervous that she could barely speak. I'm sorry if I'm not sympathetic that I spent time and money traveling and to see the house, only to have a guide who doesn't know anymore than a nice tour book would. She said incorrect facts and, honestly, I could have done better with a brochure. I wish that they had offered us either a discounted ticket price or to wait for another guide; if you want people to recommend your venue, you should probably train the guides a little better and respect the visitors. When we mentioned our dissatisfaction (in a kind way), they got very defensive as if we were being completely out of line. At any rate, the best part of my experience was the gift shop--nice selection.