“Low-key, comfortable, consistent food & service”
Review of Leoci's Trattoria - CLOSED

Leoci's Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Hours of Operation: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Atlanta, Georgia
“Low-key, comfortable, consistent food & service”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our second visit to Leoci's, and was a great night with good service from our server, Trig. We were in the mood for a good neighborhood spot, and decided to go share a prosciutto & artichoke heart pizza. It was a good artisan pizza, and we would definitely order it again. The Troublemaker wine was also very good. Leoci's great choice for anyone in the Forsyth Park neighborhood.

• Visited October 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Service, Mostly Excellent Food.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

"They can't all be winners" - Gambit (of X-Men fame) said that when he offered a not-so-smooth remark that didn't go unnoticed.
Just like Gambit's mostly sharp come-backs and smooth demeanor, Leoci's is almost perfect, save a couple of things.
I'll start off with the bad things first, and get them out of the way:

1. Our first tray of bread was very stale; as in, three days minimum stale. The replacement basket was better, but the bread is certainly nothing to write home about.

2. The lack of a proper Alfredo sauce is practically inexcusable. I rely on a plate of seafood fettuccine alfredo to gauge the quality of a place. But that's just me. There was, however, a white wine butter sauce that was tremendously done.

3. The 'home-made' Tiramisu. Avoid at all costs and buy a candy bar from a gas station instead. It's not worth it.

Now for the good stuff.

The service! Our waitress, Courtney, was a real delight. She, like many other young staff, attends SCAD and was social enough to tell us about her school when we asked. She was very polite and a good listener. She was also quick to replace our bread basket when I complained about the age of the bread. Drinks were readily refilled, and the orders were promptly taken.

The place is a bit cramped, but I didn't mind - it was more the cozy kind of cramped than the uncomfortable kind, and the outdoor patio is quite large (so are the mosquitoes in Savannah so we stayed indoors). Art from (probably) SCAD students or graduates decorates the restaurant, and it certainly has a homely feel to it. I enjoyed the atmosphere.

We ordered three different appetizers: The Cheese Board, the Beef Carpaccio, and the Mussels. All three were very well done, but the mussels weren't of the highest quality. The sauce they were made in (a tomato-based sauce) was very good though.
The winner in the appetizer race was undoubtedly the Cheese Board. It was served with house-made, honey-drizzled Raspberry Jalapeno jam. The jam was incredible, and I ended up buying two jars to present as gifts. Delicious.

For mains, I had the Gnocci with Italian Sausage in a white wine butter sauce, and my family had the Lobster Ravioli, the Hanger Steak, and the Fettuccine Alla Vongole. The Ravioli and the Steak were extremely good, and the Fettucine was ultra plain unfortunately. The Gnocci was definitely the winner here. The sausage was very good, and the sauce was exactly right. Consistency was excellent, taste was all there, and the pasta was cooked properly. Loved it.

As mentioned, avoid the Tiramisu for dessert, and either go with something else (we didn't try any of their cheesecakes) or just go to Savannah's Original Pralines for some sweets.

All in all, I would definitely come back here, but would skip the dessert.

• Visited October 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Chef went fishing and I'm glad he did!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had dinner and both meals were excellent. Merrick was an outstanding waiter, very knowledgeable about wine. I had mackerel, of all things! I was assured it was good, and it was one one the best pieces of fish I've ever gotten at a restaurant. The patio out back was nice in spite of the warm weather.

Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Italian food in the South”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Ate here for lunch and had such a great experience i had to write a review. Sat outside since it was such a nice afternoon. The ambiance was warm and rustic feeling. The food came pretty quick. I never ever order spaghetti meatballs out because it doesnt seem fancy enough. But bit the bullet and ordered it anyway. Let me tell you i was not disappointed. The dish came with 2 huge meatballs. The flavor was like one i have never tasted and very delicious! I had to ask what they were made of. The meatball mixture was veal, beef and pork. I was not disappointed and would highly recommend this place!

• Visited September 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“didn't live up to expectations”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a party of 6 here tonight. After all the glowing reviews, we expected an Italian meal of great quality and flavor. We were very disappointed.
We were seated on the deck overlooking the trash cans and utility closet. Lots of flies.

I ordered an antipasti plate for the table. A few slices of cold cuts, some bland fresh mozzarella, and a bowl of very salty and very hot (as in temperature!) olives was delivered. Some bland bread was served with what tasted like bottled balsamic vinaigrette
Next came the main courses. I had carbonara sauced fettucini. It was bland, and the "al dente" pasta was doughy and cut very thick.
We ordered spaghetti and meatballs (at $22?) for the kids to split. Pasta was okay but the meatballs were very dense, tough even, and lacked flavor. We also had a pasta dish with vegetables that was dense and flavorless. Fettucini with clams (no linguini is available!!) was greasy and again, flavorless.The clams were served in the shell (not mentioned on menu) and were tough.
None of the food was bad enough to send back or complain about individually, but taken as a whole we had a very lackluster experience for the price.
These Italian foods should burst with flavor and character, but none was evident tonight. The kitchen needs to ramp up the sauces, and lighten up on the dense pasta.

• Visited September 2013