“Stop and see the entrance with the Oaks draped with the Spanish Moss”

Wormsloe Historic Site
Ranked #24 of 220 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A breathtaking live oak avenue leads visitors one mile down a colonial road to a vistor center, where they can watch short historical film, tour a museum, and browse a gift shop. A walking trail leads to the 1737 tabby ruins of the oldest remaining structure in the Savannah. Trails meander past scenic marsh views to the Colonial Life Area, where costumed interpreters provide living history demonstrations in the afternoons, weather permitting. Five more miles of nature trails are available for those who are more adventurous.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The entrance it self is worth the trip out to see this Historic ruin site. Just out side of downtown easy to get to. Well worth the stop for you history buffs and photo geeks. My shots of the water oaks and gates are Wonderful!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My stepsister, her newly engaged fiance, and his sister came to Savannah for the weekend. They are from up North, so I had planned so many "southern" things for them to experience during their visit. Wormsloe Plantaion was one of the many attractions I had wanted them to see. Unfortunately, our day on River Street had taken longer than expected, leaving us with nothing but a ten minute glance of the plantation. We knew we wouldn't be able to see anything worth the $10 (x 4 people) entrance fee, so we had asked if we could take one picture of the couple on the long driveway in order to show our parents a sweet picture. Well, before I had even asked this I knew I would be running into trouble due to the guy working the front desk. His rudeness and abrupt attitude ran off the two groups in front of me as I waited in line. When it was my turn he said that if I paid for my ticket alone ($10), the three of us could drive down the driveway for a picture but we were unable to go past the next visitor's center. I told him thank you and that we wouldn't. He then told me he would call them and tell them what I looked like to make sure I didn't. I said okay? I won't go past the second gate. I don't want to. I just want a picture underneath the trees. He then explained to me again that he would be selling us one ticket (for the three of us) for a ten minute time frame to snap a picture under the trees and not visit the park. I don't know if he was explaining it for himself or me, cause I clearly got it the first time. I'm an educated person and it's not hard to understand. I proceeded to go outside and wait for my stepsister, her fiance, and his sister to pull up. As they pulled up, she quickly changed out of her travel clothes and into a cotton dress in the back of her car. The front desk guy ran outside and said he was confused why we had two cars. I told him they would just jump in my car to drive down the driveway and drive back. He then asked why they had changed clothes. Excuse me? This is none of your business! He asked if I would use the pictures for commercial use? I then again told him our intentions and also asked him if he would like me to buy two more tickets for them. I explained that I didn't want to break any rules, we just wanted a picture under the trees... sorry if we wanted to also look nice. He said no but seemed very confused, like he was unsure on what HE wanted to do. He said he would be watching us. Ok... creepy? I thought this was a state park, not a prison! I don't need to be made to feel like a liar.

SIDE NOTE: I don't even know what the rules are for commercial type photography (because it's not posted anywhere on any website) but the fact that something so historic, so beautiful, and native to Savannah is not an open type of establishment is just ridiculous. The fact that a photographer would even have to pay for pictures of a driveway is stupid. I have lived in Savannah all my life, and believe it is a disgrace to charge for something that was naturally left here anyway. If you want to charge for re-enactments, fine, but to charge for freaking nature is absurd! This is why more people visit Besthesda Home for Boys. They have the same trees and a much more pleasant atmosphere.

Needless to say during our ten minute restriction (not a minute over, I was so scared he was going to call the cops on me or something even though he had given us permission), we managed to snap a few photos under the trees. We were sorry to find out that when we returned to our cars, my stepsister's fiance's sister (who we had left in the car) was harassed by the guy who was suppose to be manning the front desk. Supposedly, he had walked around their car several times. Finally, afraid she rolled down the window and asked him if he needed anything. He then proceeded to ask her who she was and why she had been left in the car. She explained that he had said only three of us could take the picture down the driveway and she let her brother and soon to be sister in law take a sweet picture since that was all they had talked about the whole weekend... was a couples picture under the southern trees. He then told her that they had not paid. She didn't know what to say to this, since he had told us to only pay for one ticket? Especially since we were not even entering the park. Lucky for her, he saw someone else breaking a "rule" and literally ran after them.

When I learned of this interaction, I was mortified. Not only did I feel I was personally attacked for wanting to take one picture of family members under the trees, he then made my stepsister's soon to be family afraid and uncomfortable. This was NOT the southern hospitality I had raved about all weekend. This was CRAZY! This was the worst Savannah experience I have ever had and now that's all they will remember about this beautiful city.

I truly believe this man has taken his front desk job of collecting money for admissions into the park and describing the map to his head. I don't know why he felt the need to badger us, or worst badger a girl who is alone in the privacy of her car. His need to dominate his authority was clear, uninviting, and unwelcoming. Because of this, I have no desire to take any future out of town family members here. This being my first time visiting the park (or the driveway of the park), I have no desire to ever return to see the rest. I am usually not someone who leaves reviews or complaints, but I will be sure to tell everyone I know (Savannah native or not) about my awful experience here. It's so sad that something so beautiful has fallen into the hands of someone clearly money driven with distasteful staff picking.

20  Thank Anonymous841
Wormsloe State H, Manager at Wormsloe Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We apologize if our gate attendant did not meet your expectations for customer service and we will address this issue as needed. In order to conduct a proper follow up to this lengthy review, however, it would be helpful if you would contact the site manager directly. We give these issues serious attention.

We do charge admissions for entry to the site, even for photos. Charging admissions to enter historic sites is not controversial nor should it be unexpected. The reason we do this of course is to generate enough revenue to not only take care of the historic oaks (which is VERY costly), but also to maintain and interpret the rest of the 1200-acre site for our thousands of visitors each year. If the attendant offered your party of four a 75% discount for site admission, his generosity was outside of our standard operating procedure.

We charge professional photographers a special fee just as we would for any private individual or business using public property to make a private profit. Based on what you said in your review, it would not be unreasonable for the attendant to inquire whether you were conducting professional photography. Again, if his demeanor was unprofessional or impolite, we apologize for it and will take whatever action is necessary to prevent this from happening again.

Wormsloe State Historic Site

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Wormsloe is the picturesque road of curved trees you see in every book about Savannah out there.

It is advertised as a plantation, though the plantation you can see is actually ruins of the old house, with the new house gated off from visitors.

There's a little museum on grounds with some artifacts and a very informative video about the founding of Savannah and the plantation.

After you walk to where the old ruins are, you can walk through the grounds, about a three-mile hike. It's a really nice walk, especially on a nice day, but pay attention to the markers, as the path splits at points and isn't that well marked at others. You'll feel for a bit that you're in the scene of a horror movie, with just woods all around you and no one else nearby.

The grounds are beautiful, and that's really what you have to expect to be experiencing when you go, not that you'll be viewing an old house and touring that.

3  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed March 8, 2013

There isn't really anything to do here but look around, but it's absolutely gorgeous. It's worth the short drive just for the photos! It feels like you're on the set of a movie like Forest Gump or the Notebook :)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a nice little side trip if you are ready for a little break and some walking around outside. The setting is beautiful. But, this should not be a top priority on you trip. This should be left as a place to go if you've seen all the sights you'd like to see or you need to waste a little time.