“Super, Dog-Friendly B&B - Best in Savannah”

The Galloway House Inn
Ranked #14 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Super, Dog-Friendly B&B - Best in Savannah”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the two-bedroom apartment of the Galloway House and cannot tell you how fantastic it was. Jim and Keith are fabulous hosts, the apartment was beautifully appointed and exceedingly comfortable, and talk about location, location, location! Restaurants within walking distance, Forsyth Park 9 blocks up, easy access to freeways to go elsewhere. There is a lovely verandah in the front and secluded gardens in the back. The proprietors have even gone so far as to provide bicycles for those who wish to tool about town. The continental breakfast was perfect with muffins, bagels, coffee, tea, cream cheese, orange juice and such - all very fresh.

For those of you with dogs, I had a pup with me and the home was well suited for dogs. There is plenty of room to walk them to "do their business" and if you walk with your dogs around the various squares or parks of Savannah, you will see that the entire town is dog friendly to the point of making sure the dogs have drinking fountains as nice as the human ones! Jim and Keith do ask that you don't let your dogs on the furniture, which, once you see the lovely pieces, you will understand. I could not imagine trying to get short dog fur out of velvet - yikes! They do offer old sheets to protect the furniture if you cannot resist, but it was not a problem for my dog - she was very happy luxuriating on the oriental rugs that are well padded and feel like clouds beneath your feet.

I ended up having to stay longer than anticipated and Jim and Keith were very helpful not only in finding a way to accommodate me longer, but then in finding an alternate location for me. Unfortunately, they were fully booked, but recommended another option that worked out super well. You can't ask for more helpful hosts who are truly interested in their guest's comfort. The only way this could have been better would have been for a lady's maid to serve me breakfast in bed!

This is a super place and I cannot recommend it enough. I will definitely make every effort to visit again when in Savannah. It was like a home away from home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank WGSnaffles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We loved the hospitality of the owners. This place was perfect for both our dog and us! We stayed in the third floor apartment, where there was plenty of room. Within walking distance to all the main attractions. Everything was there that we needed and we thought the home was beautiful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baldwinsville NY
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

A friend and I decided to spend a night in Savannah before flying back North. I am SO happy we did! Galloway House has great ambience, a great location, and a great innkeeper! We had a huge two bedroom apartment, two bedrooms and two bathrooms, for a better than typical B&B price. The apartment was impeccably decorated. Jim provided us with lots of information on the sights and restaurants in the area. The kitchen was stocked with yogurt, granola bars, muffins, bagels, juice, water bottles...even wine! It was very convenient as we had an early morning appointment with a local guide, so we could sleep in, grab a quick bite and go. Galloway House also has two one bedroom apartments available in a separate Carriage House. It has a very lovely courtyard between the main house and the Carriage House, teeming with potted plants, sculpture and other greenery. I have never stayed at a B&B where I felt so comfortable and at home. The only downside...I only had one night to spend there. But I will be back!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PatriciaJ51
KeithinSavannah, Owner at The Galloway House Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you so much for writing such a kind review!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We came to a dog show in Savannah and stayed at the Galloway house for a weekend. The apartment we stayed in was not the main building, but on the second floor of the guest house. It was very nice, clean, and comfortable. One of the few B&B's where there was enough drawer space! The continental breakfast was juice, water, coffee, yogurt, bagels, muffins, cream cheese. The apartment had a full and stocked kitchen. The garden was beautiful, and the house is just gorgeous from the outside. A huge amount of work was done by the owners to restore it. Speaking of the owners, they were great. They made sure I had great internet connectivity for work stuff, lent us folding chairs for the dog show, recommended restaurants, and generally were very nice. This was the very first time we traveled with our puppy and it was very nice. I've never stayed in a dog-friendly hotel before and assumed it would smell of dogs, or of disenfectant, but it didn't at all. A really nice stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bonbun
KeithinSavannah, Owner at The Galloway House Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks for your kind review!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Be sure to stay at The Galloway House! Our Girlfriends Getaway just spent 4 days there and it was perfect on all levels! The home is gorgeous, the front porch was definitely our fav place to park/eat/drink and laugh! The gardens around the home are beautifully done. Keith has furnished it with everything one could want right down to "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" for your viewing pleasure. We went to a couple of Keith and Jim's recommended restaurants and they were right on the money!! Hope y'all get a chance to stay there!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment. If you have a family or if you're traveling with a group o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Linda O
Door County
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The Galloway House is the best kept secret in Savannah! Not only was the apartment we rented fully equiped with everything a vacationer could want, but also a folder filled with local history tidbits, personal recommendations for dining, a nice library selection and movie titles for anyone visiting Savannah. The place was emaculate, spacious and nicely decorated. It was like home away from home. More than enough space for a two people. The healthy food choices offered us were perfect after a long day of site seeing the historic section of Savannah. A very convenient location to not only the downtown area, riverwalk, but also a PUBLIX grocery as well as numerous dining options. All, excellent choices and reasonably priced. The gardens surrounding the Galloway House are inspiring to browse through. From the beautiful fountain, birdbaths, and unique archectural gardening pieces and lush planters. The birds singing throughout is an added treat. Jim and Keith have done a beautiful job of restoring an historic site. We felt very safe walking through the neighborhood. We can't wait to go back next year~

Room Tip: Consider Jim's lead to some excellent restaurant dining near by. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2012

NOTE - I have not stayed here. I reserved a room directly on the Galloway House website for MARCH 2013. I called and let my family know we were all set, and even recommended my brother reserve the lower part of the carriage house. I received a very nice welcome email from the owner that even promised a call in a few days. About an hour later I get a very short/cold email saying that the house was "closed to reservations" that week. It happens to be St. Patrick's Day weekend, and my bet is that the same place I was renting will marked up to a ridiculous rate and rented out. I made NO mistakes except choosing this place to stay, owned by a greedy person who was not intelligent enough to block the space on their own website. If you are going to be greedy and unethical at least be smart about it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank BobMCO
KeithinSavannah, Owner at The Galloway House Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Sometimes you just can't win! An older couple planning to have their wedding at our house had already reserved the apartment, and because computers can make mistakes, we check every reservation as soon as we receive it. In less than one hour we had issued a full refund, sent an email explaining the situation, and apologizing for the inconvenience. I think if I were greedy I would have kept the deposit, or charged a cancellation fee, or re-booking fee, or just did nothing for the next 11 and a half months. If I were unethical I would cancel an existing reservation at the prospect of a negative review. In a way, it is a great compliment that some, in anger and frustration, lash out when they can't stay with us, we certainly wish we could accommodate everyone wanting to visit The Galloway House!