“Can't say enough great things about this location!”

The Galloway House Inn
Ranked #14 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Can't say enough great things about this location!”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I booked the Galloway House for September 2-4, 2011. My cousin and his wife were visiting me in Atlanta from San Francisco and wanted to visit Savannah during their 8 day stay. We planned the trip in early 02/11. We rented the first floor main house (2 couples) and truly enjoyed our visit. The house and garden were beautiful, the price is very resonable for 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a full kitchen, living room, dining room, a fabulous front porch, and sun room. There was plenty of space for 2 couples. I liked the fact that it was not a traditional Bed & Breakfast. The kitchen was stocked with continental breakfast items, a variety of spices, cooking utencils, pots/pans, flatware, etc. If we decided to cook we had everything we needed. In Savannah, GA with all the great restaurants we had no cooking intentions, but was glad the option was there. The owners leave you to yourself which was outstanding. There are bikes at your disposal to discover Savannah and it's beautiful parks/squares without worrying about finding a parking space. I felt like I was visiting my vacation home in Savannah, GA. I have recommended this location to several people who like this kind of vacation (there are many who prefer the "personal private" touch). Keith and Jim are great host. We left an item unexpectedly and Jim promptly mailed it to me and would not accept reimbursement. How often in this day and age do you get that kind of service!!! When I return to Savannah for a retreat I can only hope there is availability at the Galloway House.

Room Tip: Book early there are only 4 apartments.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kasyboo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lancaster, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We can't say enough wonderful things about The Galloway house. We spent two nights in the 2nd floor of the carriage house. It was beautiful!! We come to Savannah to visit our son, and have stayed at many of the nicer hotels in the area. This is our new favorite.

The area surrounding the Galloway house is surrounded by many wonderful restaurants and antique stores. There is so much to do in the area, between all the wonderful parks, shops and more; and it's not all down by the river.

The carriage house was beautifully decorated, clean, and even the sheets were high thread count cotton. :-)

We hope to return again soon!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Siri_in_Shanghai
Apollo Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had never been to Savannah and were concerned about the area that we found our B & B in. But the Galloway House proved to be in a quiet area which was ideal for us. The place was refurbished by the owners and they did an amazing job with it. We stayed in the carriage house on the second floor. The stairs are quite steep, but once inside, we had a room that was actually a small apartment. There was ample room for the two of us and our two shelties. The breakfast was basically bagels and muffins, yogurt, OJ and coffee, which was adequate. It is driving distance to the riverfront area, but there is a beautiful park in walking distance which was perfect for our dogs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeterB1958
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 21, 2011

The Galloway House was more then we expected. I wanted to find a place that would give us the Old Savannah Southern charm feeling. I knew this would be the perfect place when I discovered it on a BnB site.
I studied the information on thier website they came through with all they said plus more. Keith and Jim made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. The knowledge and information they had on Savannah was a great help. It was our first time to Savannah.
We stayed on the 1st floor of the Main House. the attention to detail and amenities surpass any hotel. This is not a traditional BnB. We had our own kitchen with breakfast items provided. It was nice to sleep in and then enjoy fresh coffee on the front porch. We would plan our day from there. It was nice to not be on a schedule. The common areas are outside. We met some wonderful people from Switzerlan that were guest there as well.
When you stay you must try 2 restaurants in walking distance, Cafe 37 and Elizabeth's on 37th. The food wounderful and service outstanding at both.
Staying at the Galloway House we found allowed us to have the best of Savannah. We were so relaxed and felt right at home. I am telling all my friends if they go to Savannah this is the lpace to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank CarmellaP
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We just spent 5 incredible days at The Galloway House for our honeymoon. We stayed in the Main House 3rd floor apartment. We could not have asked for anything more. It was cozy, private and quiet. After spending the day sight seeing or going to the beach it was so nice to come "home" to be in such a comfortable setting. We even would catch ourselves saying " let's go home ".

Keith and Jim were true examples of southern hospitality. They provided us with many suggestions for sightseeing and restaurants. You must go to a neighborhood cafe just 2 blocks away. Cafe 37, it was by far the best dinner we had in Savannah. They have provided exceptional accommodations with great attention to detail. Very comfortable and as I said felt like being home...plus the bed was so comfortable best sleep in a long time.

We really appreciate the "Apartment & Breakfast concept they have. Being our honeymoon we had complete privacy with plenty of space. The breakfast items provided and being able to sleep in as long as we wanted worked great. My wife even surprised me one morning with breakfst in bed. I cooked a candel lit dinner one evening.

We have told our family and friends about our magical and memorable stay at the Galloway House. It was more then imagined. OH and the gardens are beautiful we met several other guest staying while enjoying wine on the front porch one evening...it is something you should do.

Thank you, thank you Keith and Jim we are planning to spend our 1st anniversay there.

As my wife has told everyone "it was Simply the BEST" !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingGuy001
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 10, 2011

This is NOT a traditional bed & breakfast and it was perfect for our family of four. We stayed on the 3rd floor of the main house and had our own apartment complete with kitchen and washer and dryer. A continential breakfast (muffins, bagels, yogurt, etc.) were provided so we could have breakfast whenever we wanted and never had to have everyone - especially our two teenage boys - on the same schedule for breakfast. Home and gardens are a wonderful restoration. Keith and Jim were so accommodating making sure air matress was in place for our boys.

Room Tip: Check the floor plans online.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Runway23Left
Athens, PA
Reviewed March 30, 2011

My friend and I planned a trip to Savannah for four days, as part of a ten day trip. Unfortunately, there was an emergency with my friend. I called Jim at Galloway House two weeks before our scheduled arrival, to ask to postpone the trip and reschedule. I was told I had passed the 30 day written notice required to cancel. I'd lose all of my money unless another person booked the same dates. I've traveled extensively in the US and foreign countries and have never dealt with such a rule. (Hey, you can buy a house or car, and change your mind in fewer days!). Anyway, eithr way, my $480 was gone.

I drove to Savannah alone, spending over $1000 for that lodging, other lodging enroute, gas, etc. It didn't seem right to ask my friend to chip in on a trip she didn't take. Oh, I made such a mistake to not cancel the trip and call my credit card company to stop the charges. When I voiced complaint about the policy and inflexibility in the case of emergencies (via email), within an hour, Keith was on the phone to me, very agitated. It was bad enough to have to lose my money, but I didn't need to feel intimidated. So I did go to Savannah.

The carriage house was fine; clean and comfortable. The "breakfasts" consisted of many bagels ...not fresh every day, bottled orange juice ....not fresh. Containers of yogurt, coffee beans you need to grind ...coffee you make for yourself. Dishes you are supposed to wash ...Heck no ....if I'm spending almost $500 for 4 days, I'd certainly want my host to create a fresh breakfast with fresh fruit, a variety of cereals, toast and jam, butter, milk, freshly made coffee that HE makes and serves ....and I certainly don't want to do dishes on my vacation. At the time that Keith called me, he stressed that everything is made and created for ME ...the nice linens are for ME, the bagels are for ME ...oh, please. It is the same old, same old for each and everyone, purchased all at the same time and put into a fridge ...certainly no hospitality there.

I like fresh air when I sleep, but no windows could be opened. Isn't that against fire code? Aren't you supposed to have egress from each room? And they offer "off street parking." There are two places ...and Jim parks his car on one. The rest is on street, if you can find a spot. Also, the location is transitional. I asked Jim about crime and safety. He said there is no problem. But two different waiters at exclusive restaurants stated that one shouldn't walk that area after dark. There have been problems in that neighborhood. I feel as though that was covered up when I asked about it.

I left after being there two days. I decided to cut my losses. I called Jim's phone and left a message that I was vacating the carriage house, as I didn't want to leave it unlocked. I more or less expected that someone would call me to thank me for my patronage, say "goodbye" and "drive safely," something/anything. I feel that once the credit card cleared, and I was in place, there was no more interest.

Two other B&Bs were visited while I was there, and each was amazed by the 30 day cancellation requirement. One gentleman, who has had his B&B for 36 years, said he doesn't run the credit card for deposit until 24 hours before the date of arrival, and in the case of emergency he'd never charge the patron. And the other proprietor said they have a 7 day policy, but that they, too, allow for emergencies.

I would say that unless you have an emergency, you probably won't have an issue (unless you want to be waited on, have freshly made toast or bagels daily, fruit, etc ....). Book at your own risk.

Room Tip: I know nothing about the other rooms.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
13 Thank VisitorAthens_PA
KeithinSavannah, Owner at The Galloway House Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Our cancellation policy is 30+ days – Full Refund.
Less than 30 days the guest may choose; receive a refund for days we can rebook or reschedule to a later date. If a guest is unable or unwilling to make a decision then they are responsible for the full cost of the reservation.
Our policy is NOT to issue refunds upon threat of a negative review.