“Great burgers and Crab Chowder is a must!”

Crystal Beer Parlor
Ranked #14 of 876 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Savannah's second oldest restaurant and bar has been feeding hungry Savannahians and visitors for over 75 years! Your host, John Nichols is committed to providing you with a great meal, value for your dollar, efficient, friendly service and a good stiff drink! We serve the Crystal classics like the creamy Crab Stew, juicy Burgers and the hand cut Fries. You'll also want to try the new Grilled Greek Wings, the Gawgia Cracka Nachos, Avocado Hummus, Sauteed Veggie Wrap with Goat Cheese and the Peach Cobbler. We've got the best fried shrimp in town! We've also added delicious vegetarian items to the menu! Join us at The Crystal for lunch or dinner and experience this living part of Savannah's history! All major credit cards accepted. Handicapped accessible, handicapped parking.
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Great burgers and Crab Chowder is a must!”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Love that this restaurant has kept to the original integrity and architecture of the building. we are history buffs and we didn't mind at all that the restaurant was on a wait because there were so many interesting photos of old Savannah to look at. The menu is simple and pretty straight-forward but we were told by our bartender that they are know for their burgers, crab chowder, and the greek dishes (as the owner is greek). We opted for the burger and crab chowder, which was excellent. We also loved the craft beer selection and felt the process were reasonable.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Leigh M

“Best flounder in Savannah.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 days in Savannah and had seafood for every meal. This was recommended by hotel staff and ended up being the best.

Chanute, Kansas
“For a Taste of Old Savannah Try This!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place is great! All of the locals hang out here because the food and prices are terrific! The atmosphere is awesome and we walked in without reservations and only had a 15 minute wait. The staff is pleasant, helpful, polite and efficient! They have a dining room as well as booths and high tables in the bar area. It is a very "kid" friendly place. Every trip to see our daughter in Savannah, we always go here at least once for a terrific meal!

Visited December 2013
Savannah, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not pleased with menu changes”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I am a local Savannahian, and have eaten many delicious meals at the Crystal Beer Parlor, but after quite a long hiatus (about 1.5 years) went in today specifically to get a bowl of Brunswick stew, only to discover it was no longer on the menu! I was pretty disappointed, but ordered shrimp & grits instead. Our server was very pleasant and did tell me it was not the traditional type of shrimp and grits, but the grits patties, and even so, I opted to try them anyway. Let's just say I do not like my shrimp and grits this way. Normally the grits are cooked in the shrimp stock with the shrimp on top of a bowl of grits, etc...and these were pretty flavorless. The shrimp itself was cooked to perfection, though. The patties were the bad part. My dining companion's burger was up to the usual Beer Parlor standard, so I think I was just unlucky. I just hate to see this local neighborhood place get too far away from its Southern roots and go so Continental. I will go back again, but will probably just stick with a burger or sandwich next time, which I am sure will be great.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Sharon D
JohnAtCrystal, Owner at Crystal Beer Parlor, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
There's more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to make shrimp and grits.
I Googled "shrimp and grits" and over 3 million entries are posted. I'm sure they're not all recipes but I bet a heck of a lot of them are. Google any food item and the same is true for all foods. Our shrimp and grits have a huge fan base - one of our customers (a Savannahian) has asked us to call her whenever we serve shrimp and grits as a special.
I hope you know how much we appreciate our locals - y'all are a part of the Crystal, our friends and neighbors. Your friend enjoyed our burger - I wish you'd spoken with a manager or me about your dissatisfaction with your meal - we'd have gone to the moon and back to make you happy. You mention that the shrimp were "cooked to perfection" so the dish wasn't improperly prepared, you just didn't like it. So, giving us an "average" rating is really unfair.
Brunswick stew was on the menu way back when, but it's been almost 4 and a half years since I re-opened the old Crystal and in that time, Brunswick stew has never been on the menu. If you can remember where you had the great Brunswick stew, please let me know - because I love the stuff!
Regina, Canada
“A Great Neighbourhood Pub”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Due to winter storm Leon, we found ourselves in Savannah for two extra nights - and took full advantage of this gift from the travel gods by re-visiting the Telfair, the colonial burial grounds, Chippewa Square, Greene Square, Chatham Square and OF COURSE the Crystal Beer Parlour. Betty (the owner of the cottage we were renting) recommended the CBP to us and by the time we were allowed to leave Savannah we ate there three times. It was handy to our Tattnall Street location and the Au Poivre burger became our go-to menu item. Wonderful staff, and it's a nice touch to have the owner circulate through and individually and genuinely thank you for your business. Our only disappointment was that it was closed on the Wed. evening at the height of the storm. But then so was the rest of the city ...

• Visited January 2014