“Fabulous food, people and full of atmosphere.”

Crystal Beer Parlor
Ranked #16 of 897 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Savannah's second oldest restaurant and bar has been feeding hungry Savannahians and visitors for over 75 years! Your host, John Nichols is committed to providing you with a great meal, value for your dollar, efficient, friendly service and a good stiff drink! We serve the Crystal classics like the creamy Crab Stew, juicy Burgers and the hand cut Fries. You'll also want to try the new Grilled Greek Wings, the Gawgia Cracka Nachos, Avocado Hummus, Sauteed Veggie Wrap with Goat Cheese and the Peach Cobbler. We've got the best fried shrimp in town! We've also added delicious vegetarian items to the menu! Join us at The Crystal for lunch or dinner and experience this living part of Savannah's history! All major credit cards accepted. Handicapped accessible, handicapped parking.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wonderful place for a meal. Really helpful staff ,excellent service and nice food. It's a really busy place but full of atmosphere. I had a really enjoyable experience with friends.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,462)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Got here around 7 on a Thursday night, and it was a half hour wait. Somehow we squeezed into the bar area and wound up actually sitting at the bar. Husband and friends tried several different tasty beers, and we were seated 20 minutes later in a cozy booth.

Started off with avocado hummus (meh), fried green tomatoes (yummy) and bleu cheese chips (pretty good). The beers kept coming, so I'm guessing they were tasty (I'm pregnant, so I can't really comment except to say they have an extensive selection). I had the gumbo, which I thought was delicious, and a small salad, very fresh. Husband had the fried shrimp po' boy and wasn't too impressed. He described it as plain and nothing special. Friend #1 had a bowl of the black bean soup and said it was good, but halfway through realized it had meat in it. She's not a vegetarian, but was just surprised by the meat since black bean soup is often a vegetarian soup. Maybe they should think of listing it as black bean soup with pork. Friend #2 had the fried fish and said it was very good. Meredith was our waitress, and she was awesome. And the manager came by several times to chat and make beer recommendations, so that was cool.

This place has a cool local feel, and I can see why it's rated so highly. The service was great, the drinks are plentiful, the prices are fair and the food is good. Definitely check it out for lunch or dinner!

JohnAtCrystal, Owner at Crystal Beer Parlor, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thanks so much for your review! Glad you liked our place and I appreciate your comments regarding the hummus and the soup of the day, the black bean soup. The hummus is new, just added to the menu recently and "meh" just won't cut it! I'll look into spicing it up. We've also just recently started offering a soup of the day - so I'll definitely add "pork" to the black bean soup description when we serve it again. Thanks for stopping by and I hope we see you again soon!

John Nichols
Owner, Crystal Beer Parlor

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We tried to go to this place on Thursday night before the Rock and Roll race, but the wait was too long. We walked the 3 blocks back to our rental apartment. However, Friday afternoon, we walked back and had just a few minute wait for lunch.

The menu choices were extensive with salads, sandwiches, burgers, and more for lunch and dinner fare for later in the day. I went with the Grilled Salmon Burger, but asked for it on rye which was easily accommodated with a side of sweet potato fries and a half and half ice tea (and it was still sweet!). The choice was perfect, tasty, a bit crumbly, and totally consumed.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Crystal experience goes so well with Savannah. After seventy or so years it closed for a few years but has returned with even more great food at great prices still served in a nostalgic setting where Savannah history looks down at you from the walls. My favorite over the past 37 years is the fried oyster po' boy, followed closely by the fried shrimp po' boy. The dinner plates are just as good, only more seafood with less bread. Remember to order the chips. On our latest visit we ordered two appetizers, Blue crab dip and Gawga Cracka nachos, both delicious. If you want the full nostalgic treatment wait for one of the booths or eat at the bar. Good news: what used to be called the back room has been opened into the original section. Don't miss the history on the walls - lots of famous personalities, autographs, and Savannah history.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Crystal Beer Parlor is one of the best places I've eaten. Off the beaten path this little pub was highly recommended, so my husband and I decided to try it. The food was fantastic and well presented with good sized portions. The service we received was great! It has a quaint atmosphere about it as well. Definitely worth the walk from anywhere in the city.