“Good Seaford - Great Atomosphere”

Crystal Beer Parlor
Ranked #14 of 876 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Savannah's second oldest restaurant and bar has been feeding hungry Savannahians and visitors for over 75 years! Your host, John Nichols is committed to providing you with a great meal, value for your dollar, efficient, friendly service and a good stiff drink! We serve the Crystal classics like the creamy Crab Stew, juicy Burgers and the hand cut Fries. You'll also want to try the new Grilled Greek Wings, the Gawgia Cracka Nachos, Avocado Hummus, Sauteed Veggie Wrap with Goat Cheese and the Peach Cobbler. We've got the best fried shrimp in town! We've also added delicious vegetarian items to the menu! Join us at The Crystal for lunch or dinner and experience this living part of Savannah's history! All major credit cards accepted. Handicapped accessible, handicapped parking.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Seaford - Great Atomosphere”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The menu is heavy on sandwiches, but they have a good selection of appetizers, salads and other "main course" entrees.

The building is wonderful. It's an old store that was apparently later a speakeasy and now a restaurant for many years.

I had the crab stew and fried green tomatoes for appetizers. Both were excellent. For the main course I had the combination crab cakes and fried shrimp. The fried shrimp were some of the best I have had anywhere in the world. The crab cakes were a bit over cooked, but nonetheless very good. The french fries are hand cut and excellent.

The service was likewise excellent. My server was very attentive and gave me several good recommendations for attractions in walking distance.

The price was reasonable for the amount of food I ordered.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank DennisBTR

Central Florida
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We read the reviews and wanted to try the fried green tomatoes, as we'd never had them. They did not disappoint! They were deliciously crispy without being greasy; and the horseradish sauce was amazing. Everything else we had was just as good. My husband had the gumbo and loved it. We split a hamburger that was one of the best we'd ever had. And our waiter was extremely attentive. We highly recommend the Crystal Beer Parlor!!!

Visited January 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“Love the food and people”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

you want a fun atmosphere where they have great food and plenty of beer lol this is for you and the history of the place is also something to admire I love the pics all on the wall each one tells the story

Visited December 2012
North Carolina
“Not so great...”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

As I said in a previous review, knowing what to expect sometimes is all it takes for success! The reviews I read for Crystal Beer Parlor were pretty flattering, and, who knows, maybe they were under other managment, different chef, etc. when those were written, but at this visit it was not very good.

Also, I am not a beer drinker, and i may have had a very different opinion if I were, so I will take some responsibility for my disappointment.

The menu was a bit different than what was in the reviews, but that's OK. Menus change. I suspect that kitchen or management changed since some of those reviews too.

The healthy choices were not there (these days all menus should have some good, fresh, tasty healthy options), the food did not taste fresh, the flavors were bland and what we ordered should have been interesting and fun based on the menu description, but it was not.

From the "rusty" lettuce to the pale tomatoes, the room temp. "spagetti sauce" dipping for the calamari, and the "gyro" that was dull instead of rich, it missed the mark.

I would not rate it BAD, but it was not good. The service was "diner rush" which is a style of service and it's OK with me, but it felt more like disinterest and that's not for me.

The place was busy, not packed, but busy. People were enjoying the game and each other, making it feel like a locals' place. That ambiance is wonderful and can make up for a less stellar menu and food product,

Disappointing. I would not return, but I would not discourage people who like a 60's style neighborhood sports bar atmosphere from trying it.

Maybe order a burger....

Visited January 2013
1 Thank cafemom
JohnAtCrystal, Owner at Crystal Beer Parlor, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Sounds like we just weren't your cup of tea. Our management, chefs, cooks and our menu have not changed for almost 2 years now.
Dacula, Georgia
“Most Excellent”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Place was recommended by concierge. Very good pub fare. Had the pita pizza with shrimp and crab stew both were really good. Enjoyed the atmosphere, you can tell this is where the locals go. A great place to go when in Savannah.