“The BEST walking tour I've experienced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Savannah Rambles

Savannah Rambles
Ranked #27 of 141 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: You are invited to walk with me as I use Savannah's architectural history as a visual aid to tell the history of Savannah's innovative city plan, icredible mix of architectural styles, and generations of diverse people who have created America's most uniquely beautiful city. I have been personally involved with the restoration of numerous buildings within Savannah's historic districts and can offer a unique perspective among tour guides.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST walking tour I've experienced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have gone on several walking tours all over the U.S., and this was by far the best I've experienced. My boyfriend and I take turns picking the walking tours when we travel, and this tour turned out to be a perfect blend of history and architecture-- a definite plus, because while I love architecture, my boyfriend is much more interested in the history. Dirk's tour included information on early Savannah history, city planning, significant Savannah individuals, and how local architecture changed to reflect advances in building techniques. Dirk's tour was full of stories describing how both the wealthy and poor city inhabitants lived, and the problems they faced. We had a multitude of questions, and Dirk was happy to take the time to answer all of them. The pace of the walk was perfect -- it really was an enjoyable ramble, but be sure to wear your best walking shoes because the sidewalks are quite uneven. Dirk was also happy to suggest local restaurants and museums off the beaten path (The Ships of the Sea Museum is an absolute gem for anyone interested in nautical history). I have already recommended Savannah Rambles to my parents, who will be in Savannah in late spring. Dirk's enthusiasm for Savannah is genuine -- his tour was the highlight of our trip.

1 Thank J H
Kinlaw815, Owner at Savannah Rambles, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for the glowing review. It is especially gratifying to hear you experienced everything I was trying to offer. Savannah has so much to offer and I hope you will be back for more!

Savannah, Georgia
“Best in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The guide is one of the most knowledgable of his subject matter that I have ever experianced! What an interesting topic to consider and a breath of fresh air from the typical "ghost stories" one might encounter on a tour in an historic city!

Visited April 2013
Kinlaw815, Owner at Savannah Rambles, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for review, I love the fact that you are from Savannah and hope you will encourage more locals to learn about the architecture of their city. It just seems to be part of human nature that the last city you explore is your own, and the locals miss so much because of it. Hopefully, this review might make more locals consider a closer look at Savannah.
Reno, Nevada
155 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 302 helpful votes
“Behind the scenes and in depth tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Dirk does a fantastic job of describing the history, the people and architecture of Savannah. He is very knowledgeable without loading you down with dates, just the facts. We would definitely recommend his architectural ramble to anyone coming to Savannah!

Kinlaw815, Owner at Savannah Rambles, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing savannah Rambles! I strongly feel that the people and their culture are important when discussing architecture since they are why the architecture exists. I purposely follow a path which places most of the buildings in rough chronological order which enables me to minimize the use of dates, though they do remain a helpful part of the description.
Montreal
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Very informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was the highlight of our trip to Savannah. Dirk focuses on the architecture of the historic district, and the details and stories gave us a real appreciation of the area. The walk takes around 2 hrs and covers quite a bit of territory so wear your running shoes! If you are bringing children on the tour (like us) don't forget drinks & snacks.
One side note: we had booked a private tour & there were 2 other people added without our prior knowledge. It didn't matter (we paid the group rate instead of the private rate), but it would have been nice to have known about the change in advance.

1 Thank CM Family
Kinlaw815, Owner at Savannah Rambles, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I was embarrassed when I realized a few days later that you had requested a Private Ramble. I always try to put my customers first, but it does seem that I am destined to make mistakes from time to time. The up side for me is that I will be watching my scheduling much closer from now on. I do hope that my oversight did not put any damper on your visit to Savannah. Many thanks for your tactful and gracious review style and many happy travels to you and your fine family!
Olympia, Washington
“a great tour on a rainy day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Dirk was a great guide, providing a wealth of information! I loved the focus on architecture & the stories behind it.

Visited February 2013
Kinlaw815, Owner at Savannah Rambles, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for the fine Review! I love it when my Ramblers are so engaged that they won't let a little rain get in the way of enjoying our beautiful city. That's why I only cancel rambles when at the request of a customer or lightening becomes an issue. Savannah just looks good in the rain!