“Average at best.”

Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Whitaker St.
Transit: Trolly tours and pedi-cabs both have stops on Bay Street at the entrance to the Bohemian Hotel.
Description: Set on vibrant River Street, the Bohemian Hotel presents an exciting dining destination to experience delicious food and dynamic entertainment in the comfortable, casual atmosphere of Rocks on the River Modern Grill and Rocks on the Roof. Surrounded by custom, river-inspired design elements of driftwood, brick and rough wood, Rocks on the River offers a menu of delicious American comfort food with a Southern contemporary approach that includes hamburgers, steak, fish and mussels. Enjoy the authentic wood-grilled flavor produced by the restaurant’s large pizza oven and a large wine and beer menu to complement your meal. Featuring a cozy fire pit, live entertainment, and an engaging tapas-style menu with extensive drink and martini choices, Rocks on the Roof is Savannah’s newest hotspot. Relax and unwind while enjoying fantastic views of Savannah River and the historic district from this rooftop lounge.
Orlando, Florida
“Average at best.”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I went here on a Friday nite and was very disappointed in my evening there. Our server must have been new, she kept hovering when we were still deciding the drinks and appetizers, then rambled off the nightly specials while we were not ready to order. Someone needs to educate the staff of the pronouciation of the term "creme anglaise" she must of said it 20 ways wrong. My dinner companion ordered an ice tea that came with little ice and I ordered a cocktail that came with a bug floating in it. When we brought this to our servers attention she seemed out of sorts with what to do. I had to ask for another drink. At no point did a manager come by to see how everything was. Dinner was just as bad. I ordered the special grilled tuna with mussels and grits. The tuna was bland and the mussels had not been properly cleaned as they still had grit. My dinner date had the fried fish platter and while the shrimp were amazing the grouper was raw. I should have sent it back but after the drink thing I figured I pushed too many send it backs at our frazzled inexperienced server. We ordered and split the krispy creme bread pudding that was good, our server brought it out and said to make sure to dip it in the cream angels sauce (sigh). After we got three bill I gave her my credit card and it took 20 minitues for here to return with it. I was sadly disappointed int this meal and my experience with Rocks on the River. The idea of a modern dining resturaunt in all this old timey fried food town seemed like a good idea, too bad this one doesn't work .

1 Thank shamrockjulie
foodandbeverageguy, Manager at Rocks on the River, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
shamrockjulie,
I thank you for your much valued feedback on your recent visit with us here at the Rocks on the River. I will tell you that this is not our level of service that we expect or that we train our staff to give to our guest! I will speak with our Chef regarding the food quality issue that you mentioned and will also address the fact that a manager did not visit your table. It is protocol that we visit all tables not just tables that experience a problem. Our servers are trained and are usually on top of any issues that may arise during a guest visit with us and are quick to resolve and to notify a manager both positive and negative. I will reachout to you through email and would like to be able to speak to you further about our visit if you would like.
Please accept my apologies and know that I am committed to making sure that this level of service does not happen again.

Austin, TX
“Up on the Roof, a bit of South Beach in Savannah”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

If you're looking for a trendy bar/lounge in Savannah with more of an upscale feel & a nice view of the area, then head up to the top floor of the Bohemian hotel. Overall we really enjoyed our time here. Also, we did not visit the actual restaurant on the first floor, so this review is strictly of the rooftop.

We were there on a Saturday night, so it was busy. It took us 15 - 20 minutes of waiting to get a table, but we were able to order drinks before getting a table. Let me mention here that the roof area is a mix of bar height tables and lounge sofas with coffetable-height tables.

While not cheap, the drinks were good and strong. Once we had a table, we were able to order food: chicken & waffle sliders and parmesan truffle fries. (The menu only has small plates, sandwiches/burgers & bruschettas.) While the food wasn't terribly unique or inventive and it was a tad pricey, it was very tasty and well executed. If you like truffles, then the truffle fries had a lot of truffle oil on them.

We had a great time. Service was pretty good given how busy they were and everyone around us seemed to be having a good time, which when paired with the view, made for a nice atmosphere. We would definitely visit again.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Mike_from_Austin
foodandbeverageguy, Manager at Rocks on the River, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Mike_from_Austin,
Thank you for your detailed comments and greatly appreciated feedback on your recent visit to Rocks on the Roof. As you stated we can and always are packed up on the Roof not only Saturday's but most days of the week as well. Thank you for your comments on the food and I will pass it on to our Chef who is always eager for feedback and what we can do to improve our menu choices, as for our Cocktails we keep up very high standards for the quality and also the quanity of what we pour from offering a premium well to only using fresh juices for our mixers which we feel keeps in line with not only the great service but also the great atmosphere that we provide. As you stated all these things put together really make Rocks on the Roof a very special place to visit. My only regret is that you were not able to visit Rock on the River-maybe next time! Great menu, great service and great view there too.
We hope you are able to visit Savannah again soon and would love to have you back for another great time.
Savannah, Georgia
“Floridian loves this place”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Had dessert and drinks her. My wife had a vegetable lasagna and chef massy gave her the recipe.a gentleman and GREAT chef. Food and service excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant

• Visited May 2011
3 Thank Hdgnysee
foodandbeverageguy, Manager at Rocks on the River, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Hdgnysee,
Our Vegatable Lasagna is awesome! I totally agree with you there, not only is it made fresh to order but it is also a very unique item that is a far cry from other veggie type dishes you typically find. Chef is usaully pretty guarded with his recipes so good job on getting that one! Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent visit and about the Great Food and Service you received during your visit.
See you back in Savannah soon,
“Delicious”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The food was great. Well located and had a great view.

3 Thank Beaker18
Beaker18,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to the Bohemian Hotel and Rocks on the River. I am so glad you enjoyed everything and we look forward to seeing back the next time you are in Savannah!
Alpharetta, Georgia
“BEST restaurant in Savannah!”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

This restaurant was indescribably amazing! The menu was so diverse and we enjoyed our meal SO much the first night that we didn't eat anywhere else our entire three day stay! Yes, we ate ALL of our meals here! We ordered something different every time and the breakfast was phenomenal! The staff was very friendly - Valerie waited on us both nights for dinner and provided excellent service. If you are visiting Savannah, DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS DINING EXPERIENCE! We ate both inside and out and the atmosphere was perfect. We couldn't believe the prices of the menu items because the food was DELICIOUS! Dessert was awesome too! Can't say enough - can't wait to go back! Attaching photos of the Wedge salad with jalapeno ranch dressing, and the molten lava cake dessert. YUM YUM YUM!

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank Timmar317
foodandbeverageguy, Manager at Rocks on the River, responded to this review, June 4, 2011
Timmar317,
Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent visit here to Savannah and Rocks on the River. I am so glad and grateful that you chose to dine with us for every meal and trust by your comments it was well worth it. I have printed out your comments and gave a copy to Valerie she was very excited and remembered you both! I must also say great job on the photos they are very high quality food pictures.
We hope you are able to get back Savannah soon,