“Beats to its own drum”

Ranked #29 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Kansas City, Missouri
“Beats to its own drum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Completely unique & enjoyable. Funky, small hotel with lots of charm. The location is where you want it to be. It was my first trip to Savannah and it was a great starting point to go off in all directions, the River front area, the City Market area, Fathers Day supper @ Paula Deans! Horse drawn carriage ride right from the front of the hotel. Everything was unique from the lobby to the artwork in the rooms & bar. Rooftop bar had a great view of the River. I thought the shower was great, but the bathroom was too dark. I couldn't get over all of the extra touches such as the bathroom lighting fixtures, our velvet headboard our lit artwork in the room! Maybe it didnt have every extra a major hotel has, but it makes up for it with its Bohemian atmosphere!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We had so many mistakes made during this two day stay. We didn't get confirmation without calling back. They had our nights wrong. They tried to leave the charge on our substitute room the same as our river view corner room. They said they would move us the next night. Couldn't find our luggage. Showed us the "fancy" corner room only to see that for $279 you get to look at the wall of the hyatt. Several more mistakes makes this my most miserable hotel stay.

If you do stay here, DON'T stay in any corner rooms. One looks at wall and the other is in elevator hall.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank GinaDoo
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

Love rooftop bar, balcony and french doors, spacious shower, great location and appreciate the decor.

Not so great - NOISE from the lobby, darkly lit bathroom, no bathtub, no minibar, only one serving of coffee provided for single cup coffee maker (one regular, one decaf), no seating area in room other than an ottomon, tiny fitness room, no swimming pool and lack of hotel information regarding hours of restaurants and locations in the room upon arrival.

I wanted to love the Bohemian but really just sort of appreciate the effort. Lack of a pool was pretty awful with the Savannah heat. Can use Mansion pool but very inconvenient to do so, and Mansion pool isn't much more than a postage stamp.

Highly recommend the rooftop bar for its view and decor. Nice restaurant on street level.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed for one night on May 29th, a Saturday of the Memorial Weekend holiday. The hotel was totally booked due to the holiday but also local college graduations so it was quite a weekend. I had read all the tripadvisor reviews and they are spot on. The hotel is a tiny jewel situated next to the monolith Hyatt hotel. I can see why the entire Savannah population gravitates to the Bohemian as it is THE happening place on the waterfront and the food in both the bar and restaurant is great. That being said, trying to get to our room that evening was a long drawn out ordeal with the crowds of bar hopping, beer toting people rolling in from the riverwalk. It is legal to carry open alcoholic drinks in Savannah so I'm not sure how much business the bar generated from the inebriated crowd. The hotel and rooms are beautiful, the staff is helpful and we had no trouble with the valet parking as we took a reviewers advice and called 10 minutes before we wanted the car. The valet has to run about a block to the garge and cross the busy avenue to get to there--n o easy feat. My one main complaint was that our room also was not available and despite being promised a cell phone call when it was ready, we finally went back to the desk at 4:30 pm to be told the room had been ready for a while but due to shift change, no one bothered to call. Very annoying and not the performance one would expect from this caliber hotel.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 9700harr
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Room was great - modern, nice bathroom, quiet, comfortable bed, big picture windows, big flatscreen TV. Hotel itself was also great - staff were very helpful & friendly, common areas were really nice, location of hotel perfect - on the river front right next to the historic district, roof bar was great - good food & views. The whole experience was really positive until Thursday night when we were disturbed by loud music from the rooftop bar and we were staying on the floor second from the top - we were told we could hear it as our room was next to the elevator shaft! We complained a few times but it made no difference until it stopped at midnight. This was a shame as it marred a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewYorkTraveller01
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stayed at this unusual hotel for 5 nights for a business trip with a little fun on the side. What strikes one the most about this hotel is the off beat decor, furniture, and lighting hence the name. It sits on the Savannah River and if one has a river view room, you can watch the large containerships travel past. Some rooms have balconies with french doors that open and others just large windows.
The location is right in the middle of the historical district and within walking distance of most of the attractions including the famous river walk. The hotel has 2 restaurants, one on the top floor and one on the bottom. The top floor restaurant is also the bar and has an outdoor seating area. I would stay away from this one as we found it to be terribly noisy and preferred the bottom floor. Food is good and they offer many local specialties on the menu.
As far as noise, I would recommend asking for a river front room on one of the middle floors away from the 2 restaurants. I found my room to be quite peaceful. Each room has flat screen TV's with internet access, fluffy robes, iron, etc but I wouldnt recommend using the mini bar selections. You will pay $5 for a bottle of water. The bathroom is quite unique with separate doors to the water closet and to the spacious tiled shower.
Staff is courteous and helpful although not always knowledgeable with regard to understanding tourist attractions and/or other restaurants.
Overall I loved the hotel and wouldnt hesitate to go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Seminole, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

Stayed May 30th & 31st 2010. This hotel is just beautiful! The rooms are spectacular! It's in a perfect location too! This is the second Kessler property I have stayed at and both were beautiful properties but I think they need to do a complete staff change or training at both!

The valet guys are not employees of the hotel, rather AAA parking guys. If I had brought my nicer vehicle I would not have given them the keys. They didn't look professional and I really wondered if I would ever see my car again. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so the agent asked for my cell phone number and said she would call as soon as it was available. After two hours we finally went back to the hotel frustrated to find out she left for the day and our room had been ready for a while! I was not happy. The room was fantastic though!

We went to the downstairs bar before heading out for dinner. We had two drinks and charged them to the room (I always tip servers with cash because it's better for them). When we received our checkout bill the next day, there was additional tip that they added for $4! I don't know who added the tip but as far as I'm concerned that's stealing!

All in all, a great hotel just don't ask the staff for anything and watch that they don't add extra's on you checkout bill!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple