“Somewhat disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Somewhat disappointed”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After reading ++ reviews about this hotel, we stopped there with our dog in August. We were given a 'pet room' (Room 104). It was large, had a great king size bed, a sofa, a chair and a great AC. However, the room had an odor, the sofa and chair had several stains and the carpet was stained too. It didn't 'feel' clean. I get it that some pet owners let their animals do whatever they want, but if indeed this was a 'pet room', they should use the 'pet fee' to thoroughly clean the room. Sorry, but we were disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
super8savannah, Manager at Super 8 Savannah, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you did not mention your concerns to us while you were here. We would gladly have switched your room immediately and looked into whatever problems you pointed out to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Miami, FL
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I drove up from Miami for Labor Day weekend 2012, arriving on Friday evening and leaving on Monday morning. Like the previous reviewer, we also noticed the smell of natural gas in the lobby, which is something we could've done without. We would have preferred being able to call the front desk for bathroom supplies and having a hotel staff member bring them to our room (which is the norm at most hotels), rather than having to pick up supplies at the front desk ourselves.

Those two negatives aside, our hotel stay was seamless. Checking in and out was a snap, with hotel staff being friendly and helpful. Our room was exceptionally clean and spacious, as was the bathroom. Shower pressure was weak, but then again, that's the case at most hotels. We made good use of the big flat-screen tv when winding down for the night after being out all day. Aside from the occasional sound of a closing door from one of the nearby rooms, it was generally quiet outside our room. The king-size bed was very comfortable and clean, and its comforter did a great job at keeping us warm in the cold air conditioning. The a/c unit worked perfectly and wasn't all that noisy. The small refrigerator came in quite handy as well. Wi-fi worked fine, though our phone signal could've been much better.

Free continental breakfast did the job, offering waffles, cereal, muffins, English muffins, bread, oatmeal, as well as juice and coffee. We also enjoyed dining at Sonic right across the small street, as well as nearby Waffle House, which is located on the other side of the overpass. There are a few other restaurants nearby, such as McDonald's, Perkins' and IHOP. The Hess gas station at the end of the block was perfect for our road trip preparation on our morning of departure. We also love the how the hotel is conveniently located right off I-95, and is just 15-20 minutes away from Savannah's historic district. The surrounding area is quiet, safe, clean, and traveler-friendly. We will gladly stay here again the next time we're in Savannah.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alnesser
Thank you for your review. The hotel is all-electric; there is no natural gas in the area. I am not sure what you smelled -- natural gas of course does not have an odor, a sulphur-like product is added. The air sometimes has the odor of sulphur depending upon which way the wind is blowing. Perhaps that was it.
Kathleen, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nothing but problems. Booked rooms for daughter's wedding. One from expedia, and two from priceline. Had to call expedia because owner had problem with confirmation. After 20 min. talking with owner, expedia gave new conf. number and assured everything was taken care of. At 11:30 after wedding reception, I was called again because hotel refused to give room for problem again with conf. number. I talked to owner who was very rude and told me don't call him again and refused to give guest the room that was already paid for. Also, had problem withroom from priceline for my elderly parents. Owner made them pay for room again even with a paid confirmation in hand. Final straw was sister in law was charged for 7 nights when only stayed one. When she questioned charges, owner's wife told her it wasn't their mistake so she wouldn't do anything. She told them to leave hotel and take it up with someone else. Had to get police to write a report to submit to corporate. Police said not the first time called on owners.

Room Tip: Pay with cash only.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
super8savannah, Manager at Super 8 Savannah, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry about the problems you had and I would like to take this opportunity to explain both to you and future guests the policies concerned third-party reservations. When they take your reservations, they also charge your credit card. THEY and not we receive the funds they charge you for the room. We receive our funds from those companies after guests have stayed here. We cannot offer you receipts for what you paid because we receive the net amount -- we cannot offer refunds -- we cannot change or cancel your reservations.

All changes to reservations including cancellations MUST take place between the guest and the third party.

We are sorry you were inconvenienced. But if a reservation was cancelled through the third party vendor we cannot honor it, even if it is still showing on your credit card, which is why a new reservation had to be made. Those discrepancies must be cleared up directly with the third-party vendor.
Graniteville, SC
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here for Friday and Saturday nights on Labor Day weekend. My mother was with me, and for reference, she's not overly picky when it comes to accomodations, but she is a stickler for cleanliness. I, on the other hand, am a 30-year-old bachelor, and as long as a hotel has decently clean rooms, good air-conditioning (I'm very hot natured), good wifi, a fairly comfortable bed and usable water pressure in the shower...I'm good. We paid a little over $150 total with taxes and all for the two nights. I have paid as little as $40-45 a night for hotels that meet or exceed those requirements, so to me the rate we paid here was honestly about average. However, with it being Labor Day weekend, it was certainly the cheapest decently reviewed hotel in the Savannah area this weekend.

Location (5/5 stars):
Hotel is very conveniently located a stone's throw from I-95, exit 94. Easy enough to find among the MANY hotels at this exit. Noted there were several fast food and other eating establishments at this exit, including Hardee's, Denny's, Hooters, a seafood place, McDonald's, etc. There is a nearby 'outlet' mall a block or so from the hotel, but it is obviously on the decline without many popular outlets in it. But it does have a couple decent stores. The hotel parking is shared with another hotel next door (which I'm guessing is owned by the same people, given the nearly identical appearance) and is nicely landscaped. Our plans, as many folks' are when in Savannah, were to visit the downtown area for some sightseeing and shopping. Some reviewers seem to have an issue with the distance to downtown from this location, but I thought it was perfectly fine. Abercorn St, which this hotel is located a block from, is a main artery straight to the heart of downtown Savannah. It also crosses Veteran's Parkway, which you can use to get you fairly easily to Tybee Island in 30-40 min. Savannah Mall is not even 10 min away, which has a Bass Pro Shops, Target, Burlington Coat Factory and Dillard's as some anchor stores. Basically any store or restaurant you'd be looking for is on or near Abercorn at some point. The drive to the river in downtown Savannah takes about 20-ish minutes. Your best bet downtown on a weekend is to use one of the city-owned parking garages that are about a block from the river. They do charge $10 a day to park there (at least this holiday weekend), but the frustration you save by not having to drive in circles waiting for a space to open is worth it.

Arrival/Check-in (4/5 stars):
No issues finding parking, and all spaces are close to an entrance. As we entered the lobby we did immediately notice the distinct odor of natural gas...not sure if there's a leak or what, but it was somewhat concerning. Check-in was as quick as any other hotel I've stayed in, but I will say the lady at the desk had such a thick Indian accent that she was hard to understand at times. Our room was on the 2nd floor. The elevator carpet was pretty dingy looking, and the ceiling could use some cleaning, but you spend 30 seconds in there tops, so it wasn't a huge deal.

The room (3/5 stars):
Our room (227) was at the end of the hall next to the stairwell. Don't know if our floor was fairly empty or not (only saw about 3 people other than housekeeping on it the entire stay), but my initial concern that it could be noisy by a stairwell wasn't an issue. Dead silent the entire time. Thermostat in the room was set at 78 when we arrived, which was rather warm for summer in the south. I'm very hot natured, so I immediately bumped it down to 72 degrees. Nothing happened. Unplugged the unit, plugged it back in. Nothing happened. Switched the fan switch on the thermostat over to ON instead of AUTO and it finally kicked on and started cooling. Tried auto again later and it would not kick on that way, so just left it set to ON both nights. This was an annoyance, but since it worked as I detailed it wasn't a problem after that. Pleasantly surprised that a microwave and mini fridge were provided, but the fridge left a LOT to be desired. Even switching it to its coolest setting only resulted in barely chilled beverages and not COLD beverages. TV has tons of channels, which is uncommon for hotels. A nice plus. I'm a gadget guy, so I typically have 2-3 items I need to plug in by my bedside. The rooms only have one outlet between the beds, and both plugs are taken by the clock and lamp. At least 2 free ones would be nice. My mom sleeps with a breathing machine, so this was an issue for her as well (I used an outlet in the corner of the room near the floor). If this is also an issue for you, then bring a power strip or something. Beds and pillows were just fine for me and on par with anything else you find at a hotel at this star level. Bedding was clean and had no strong bleach or bad odor associated with it. Carpet in the room was on the dirty side. Not with pieces, crumbs, etc., just things stained or ground into it that didn't look nice. We didn't have any bug issues as some others have pointed out. Bathroom was very clean. Negative points for the WATER PRESSURE in the shower being horrible. I've seen comments from the owner about a full house causing water pressure issues, but this was even as we checked in when there were only maybe 8 cars in the parking lot, so there's no way it was too full to handle proper pressure. Had a decent massaging shower head, but with the lack of pressure even the massage setting was unusable. There was no pressure, basically. The water just basically runs out of the shower head with no force. Probably the worst shower pressure of any hotel I've stayed in at any price point. They also only supply you with one small bottle of shampoo, which is fine as far as shampoo goes, but every other hotel I've stayed in also includes conditioner and lotion. My other issue was the wifi in the rooms. Even when the hotel was nearly empty when we checked in, the wifi wasn't good at all. When it worked it was actually a decent speed, but any time you tried to load something it would take forever to start loading and often stop in the middle of the process.

Breakfast (N/A for me):
I won't rate the breakfast because I didn't exactly partake in it. I went down the second morning to use the business center to print out an email I had received (which worked great, by the way. Biz center internet was plenty fast as it was a wired connection, and the printer worked quickly and was loaded with paper). It was a few minutes after 9am, so I didn't expect to get breakfast, but I saw folks still eating, so I went in to get a cup of juice. I wanted apple juice, but only water came out, so I got orange juice. It was perfectly fine. I observed that the breakfast they offer was a smaller selection than most hotels I've been to at this level, but it was decent. Competitors at a similar price point like Country Inn & Suites are offering hot breakfasts with things like biscuits and sausage gravy with bacon, eggs, etc, so I wasn't impressed with this at all.

Check out (2/5 stars):
The morning of our departure we took our time getting going since we didn't have any firm plans or any place to be. So we took advantage of the 11am checkout and didn't leave til 10:30 or so. Any time I stay in a hotel I ALWAYS put the do not disturb sign out and leave it there for the duration, as I've had many experiences of housekeeping bursting in without knocking and even if I'm staying multiple nights I'd just rather not have someone I don't know coming into the room where my belongings are being kept while I'm out. That was no different this time, but by 9:30am or so we had taken the sign down already since we would be leaving soon and were awake. However, around 9:45 while we're sitting in the room munching on breakfast snacks, packing up and watching morning TV, the door flings wide open and a housekeeper starts to come in, looks up, turns around and walks out without so much as an apology...this after not knocking on the door in the first place. Most housekeeping staffs I've encountered carry radios to keep in contact with their supervisor and/or the front desk. Rather than carrying around a list of which rooms are checking out that day, they keep in contact with the staff and are informed when a guest has checked out of which room. This was definitely not the case here or the housekeeper would have known we hadn't checked out. Just knocking on the door would've also told her this! After packing up and heading downstairs, checkout didn't take an overly excessive amount of time, but it did take much longer than most hotels I've stayed in. The older lady at the desk didn't seem like she was in much of a hurry to do anything. Many hotels leave your receipt under the door on the morning of your checkout so you don't have to do anything but leave your keys at the desk, or even just leave them in your room. This hotel should adopt that policy for the sake of convenience. Also, since most of the negative aspects of the reviews here have something to do with poor customer service, it seems like this would lessen the chance of a poor review in that area. We personally didn't have any service issues other than the hard-to-understand check in clerk and the housekeeper who didn't knock.

Conclusion (3/5 stars, Average):
I was looking for a room around Savannah for under $100/night on a holiday weekend. This hotel met that requirement and was the top rated hotel in town that met that requirement. I selected it solely based on the reviews here on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed with the stay overall, but feel like it should have been better even at the price and other comparable hotel chain offerings. The reviews here are mostly accurate, but given everyone's different personal tastes and standards of service and cleanliness, I would take hotel reviews with a grain of salt. Aside from the wifi, water pressure and breakfast, this location would be perfectly fine for me to stay at again if alone, but I have a feeling my mother would pick another hotel over this one given her tastes and standards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your extensive review. Others have said they smell "natural gas," so I guess we should address it. This is an all-electric hotel. There is no gas piped to this hotel or to the one (owned by a friend) across the parking lot. The additives put into natural gas to give it an odor are butanethiol, which smells like “skunk” and tetrahydrothiophene which smells like "rotten eggs." We do not use either of those chemicals in this hotel. I don't know what it is that people are smelling when they complain of "natural gas" and since it has only happened a couple of times I really don't know what to make of it.

It is my policy to try to accommodate each and every guest. I hope that when my guests are having problems, such as with the AC or the shower head or the water pressure, they will call the front desk so that we can attempt to solve the problem immediately.

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer your review. I hope in future you will let us know if you are having problems so that we can solve them or find you another room.
FORT WALTON BEACH
Reviewed September 2, 2012

A relatively new (2-1/2 yrs. old), beautifully painted, clean, comfortable hotel. The bed and bedding were like sleeping on a cloud! The room and the bathroom were HUGE! Sitting room with a loveseat/hide-a-bed, coffee table, chair, desk and chair, and a luggage bench. Large flat-screen TV with a great picture. Black-out drapes, and sheers both overlapped and kept out unwanted light. The room was painted a very soft, soothing color. All common areas, the breakfast room, and even the stairwells, were nice. There is an elevator. Breakfast was meager, but typical for a Super 8, and certainly adequate. Fresh fruit, bread, English muffins, toaster waffles, muffins, cereal, juice and coffee. One computer in the lobby and the internet was excellent. Just have never seen another Super 8 this nice, and we've stayed in quite a few.

Room Tip: Our room faced some woods, which would normally be very quiet. Unfortunately, a bus load or two, or...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank windgail
Thank you for your review. In future, let us know when others annoy you. We are happy to quiet things down.
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here last November and I was pleased. This time, I didn't have the same experience. When I arrived, I couldn't even understand the person at the front desk. There was a miscommunication in our reservation, which I ended up just paying more for the room. Then, we got to the room and there were 2 really large centipedes in the room as well as some other bugs. I'm just really disappointed in this experience.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for your review. It gives me an opportunity to tell you and future guests about our "extra guest charge." When a reservation is made either on line, through a third-party or through central reservations, it is very important that guests tell how many people will be in the group. Children under 13 travel with their parents for free (but still must be declared at the time the reservation is made), there is a small charge for children under 17. However, when a guest is 18 and is accompanied by adults, we add a $10.00 extra guest charge, per night.

While we hope that all our front desk staff will make themselves understood, rest assured that while some speak with an accent, all understand English very well. Some of the background staff do not feel comfortable conversing in English but again, they do understand our guests and will help you if they are able or will find someone who can.

I'm truly sorry about the millipede. We have had something of an invasion this year because of the rainy weather combined with high humidity that has necessitated extra calls to our regular exterminator. We would gladly have changed your room for you that night if you had called the front desk.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My fiance' and I ended up arriving a day early for our travels. We quickly came to the conclusion that the hotel's service and rooms were not at all up to par. None of the staff including the owner Prakesh Patel were accomodating when we told them we wanted to cancel our stay. We were told that we would still be charged for the following day even though we would not be staying.

Please be aware that if you need to cancel at this location: YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR YOUR ENTIRE RESERVATION EVEN IF YOU DO NOT STAY. Their cancellation policy states: "24 Hours in advance", and this is even if you arrive and decide you do not want to stay: you will be charged the additional day. Also, this location is no where near the Historic District/Attractions of Savannah. It is far out on the outskirts of the city near Hwy 95.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
super8savannah, Manager at Super 8 Savannah, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. You give me a chance to explain to all our guests about the cancellation policy here and at all hotels/motels that require 24 hours notice.

Like with other hospitality enterprises, people make reservations at hotels and are expected to cancel if they do not intend to stay. Airlines, as you know, don't permit cancellations without a fee. Rental cars do permit cancellations within a reasonable time frame. Most hotels require 24 hours notice so that they have time to rent out the room to another guest. Here, for example, we hold the room open all night long, so if a traveler arrives late, they know we will be here, open for business and ready to accommodate them.

Our cancellation policy is: 24 hours prior to the stated check-in time (posted on the website, on confirmation notices and in the lobby). Any time after that and we require payment for the room. The day of the reservation is obviously too late. It's also too late to cancel the next day's reservation. It would not, however, be too late to cancel the third day's reservation. If you arrive right at 3:00 pm, and decide not to stay, both the second and third day would be cancelled on the spot.

As for location, we are 18 minutes by expressway from downtown. For some it's too long of a commute. For people who wish to save $$$ rather than time, we are perfect.