“Nice hotel in the Historic District”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #40 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here one night for a quick trip to Savannah. Room was comfortable, spacious, clean and beds were extremely comfortable. I liked the toilet and small sink in a separate room from the tub/shower and larger vanity. Just a few things that could have been improved on ... our coffeepot in the room was broken (I was having serious caffeine withdrawal until going downstairs for breakfast) and a few extra cloths and hand towels would have been nice. Hotel staff was great and valet was very prompt! WiFi was quick and easy, nice flat screen and comfortable beds and pilllows. Rate was okay at $116 (AAA), but with taxes, fees and $15 per day of valet parking, total was up to $147. We were in the Historic District just a few blocks from the City Market and restaurants. The concierge recommended Belford's for a nice dinner - it was an excellent suggestion. Food and service were outstanding and it was just what we were looking for. I don't know if I'll get back to Savannah again, but if I did, I would stay at Spring Hill Suites again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

wisconsingirl52,

Thank you so much for your review!! I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel. I do apologize for the broken coffee pot. Please call the desk no matter what time of day if you find issues like this in your guest room. We are always here to fix any issues that come up. Belford's is an awesome restaurant and I am happy you enjoyed their food and service. They are a well-known Savannah stop.

Lee Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

995 - 1,001 of 1,098 reviews

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Spring Hill Suites. The location was very convenient and was walking distance to the Riverfront. Location in the historic district made it possible to walk to all the sights we wanted to see. Concierge, housekeepers, and front desk staff were helpful. They are currently renovating the pool area, but we had no desire to swim in January, so no disappointment there. Love the decor and cleanliness--the hotel is either new or newly renovated and has a bright, fresh feel. My only complaint would be that the coffee is terrible. I would have expected better quality coffee from such a nice hotel. This seems to be a chain-wide problem, as the other Spring Hill Suites I've stayed at had similarly bad coffee. Also, the valet parking is quite expensive, $15 a day. This aside, I would definitely stay at the Spring HIll Savannah again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

worldtraveler8,

Thank you so much for your feedback!! I am so glad your stay was enjoyable and that you found the location to be convenient. I apologize for the coffee not meeting your expectations. Springhill does only allow us to serve this specific coffee. While the parking may seem high, we have checked with all of the other historic district hotels and have priced ourselves in line with most and less expensive than others. Space is scarce in the historic district, so most garages are under the hotels and we offer valet as the garages are very tight. I hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed January 30, 2011

We were really happy with our stay---everyone on staff was super friendly/helpful. Recommendations for dining good, too. SOHO South Cafe was great for lunch---atmosphere/food. We also dined at Old Pink House---love the downstairs pub/tavern. The absolute best highlight was dinner @Cha Bella---crazy good organic Italian food! We were able to walk to shopping district and quite a few pts. of interest. Would definitely recommend the location over the Hampton Inn which was a block or two away on a very busy corner. Trolley tour is a must in getting overview of city. Only disappointment---didn't get to rooftop Bohemian Hotel for drinks.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We were in Savannah for our daughter's wedding and booked several rooms into the Springhill Suites Historic District for our group. Our stay at this hotel could not have been more perfect. The hotel itself was beautiful - very nice layout of the rooms, all very clean and pristine. The staff was beyond professional, taking excellent care of us. They were helpful and professional, going beyond the call of duty in helping us whenever we had questions or needed assistance with our many comings and goings in Savannah.

• Stayed: December 2010
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Bonnie0055,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback!! I am so glad your stay was enjoyable and the staff was able to help you with all of your needs. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed December 19, 2010

I stayed here twice in two months on separate trips to Savannah. The hotel is in an excellent location in the historic district. The concierge was very helpful with recommending tours, restaurants, etc and providing discounts. The hotel is very modern but it does have a few problems. The toilet and shower are separate and both bathrooms have very, very poor lighting. The door to the toilet room is a sliding door and we discovered that the person using the toilet can be seen when the door is approached from certain angles. But for a brief stay, those annoyances can be overlooked. All in all, the suites are nice and have the typical Marriott comforts for a reasonable price.

Helpful tip: the parking meters are turned off on weekends, so you can park for free on the street in front of the hotel and save the valet parking fee.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

spatrick57,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoy the hotel! We love loyal repeat guests. Great tip on the parking for those looking for a way to save money!

Reviewed November 20, 2010

I liked this hotel, I like Marriott hotels and this one was new and it was in a good part of town with a lot of access to stuff like restaurants. This is the second marriott hotel that do not offer milk in their self-serve store. I have a baby so I wish they'd have it all the time, we had to walk 2 blocks to the gas station to buy it.

We stayed in a suite which we liked. The TV was in a weird spot between the living room and the bedroom. We came early one night to relax, order some pizza and go to bed early, but our TV broke around 6pm and we called the front desk, they came almost immediately but it took about 2 hours for the guy to get the tv off from the table because of some screws. He left several times and slammed the door, to find a different screwdriver and kept having phone conversations with his boss about what was he doing. He finally left around 8pm and said his boss was coming to fix our TV. They gave us a smaller TV, didn't program the channels, left a non-working remote and left around 9pm, by this time my baby was hysterical because these two men were still in our room.

The valet parking was good, they always had our car very fast when we requested it.
The breakfast is also good, nothing too exciting but great just to get the day started.

The bed is nice, it has a toilet and a mini sink separate from the main bathroom. The toilet is extremely loud. I could hear our next door neighbors flush all the time.

I would've stayed here again if it wasn't for the TV incident.
We got our neighbors receipt by mistake and they had a $39 rate per night. I wish we could've got that rate, we paid a lot more than that. Never stayed at a marriott paying tha little.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

nanisnanis,

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced with your tv and our maintenance department. While it sometimes does take us some time to repair issues, we do the best we can and should have left you with a tv in working order, properly programmed. As for the receipt/rate issue, that low of a rate is a Marriott team member rate and it is something open to Marriott employees, but we only offer one room per night at that rate. I am sorry you received that receipt. I can imagine it was frustrating to see such a low rate. I would really like another opportunity to wow you if you would give us another try.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

Annually, our company hosts a "Summit" in support of individuals with disabilities from around the country. We host approximately 30-40 individuals with disabilities and those who advocate on their behalf at various locations. This year, following an advanced trip to select this hotel from seven (7) reviewed, we selected the SpringHill Suites, Historic District in Savannah. We worked out our unique needs with Cathryn Bowyer, Sales Manager, including unique issues of accessibility and access to local restaurants, historic sites and other local needs of those we support.
I've got to tell you, after 15 years of conducting these Summit's, this is simply the finest hotel with the most caring staff we have ever encountered! From the valets, to the breakfast crew, to the front desk staff, to the cleaning crew, etc., etc, etc. they were simply terrific! As we visited various local restaurants, all local facilities were aware of our arrival plans and made accommodations accordingly. What service!
This hotel is a keeper and worthy of recommending to anyone, including any event or function you might encounter. As a frequent traveler, I simply could not have encountered a more pleasant and rewarding place to go. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, bar none! It is a refreshing oasis, worthy of encouraging anyone to stay! Great job Cathryn and your excellent staff! You deserve some type of recommendation for a job well done!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank blaux
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

blaux,

Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad you were wowed by our hotel and staff. We would love to have your group back with us in the future!