“Business with Leisure rolled into one”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #41 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I'm from Savannah, now living in Atlanta and enjoy any opportunity to come home. The hotel is very Chic, new and well managed. Location is a stiff walk in the heat of August and will be nasty in winter to the river. On prem parking was nice.

I all but live in hotels and travel all over the world so I get a good idea what a buck buys. This is a very good value prop. Did not see many business guest mostly tourist; I try to avoid hotels that draw heavy tourist trade.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

travelswithjh,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It's always great to hear when our guests really find the value in the property and enjoy their stay. I hope you will stay with us again when you travel back home.

Lee Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed July 29, 2010

We stayed in the Springhill Suites in July 2010. It was my husband (who was in town on business), me, and our 2 kids (ages 6 and 9). We chose this hotel becuase it was located in the Historic District, and I had read that the room sizes were larger than average. They also included breakfast.

We arrived late in the evening (11:00 pm), and the valets and bellmen were extremely freindly and helpful. They realized we were tired and that our kids were tired, and got our bags up to the room immediately. (The guy with the Batman Belt buckle was especially friendly. For the whole stay my son called him "The Batman Guy.")

The room was VERY large - probably twice the size of your average Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn room. I'll sum up the good and bad of the hotel:

GOOD:
* The location was EXCELLENT. 4 blocks from the riverfront; 4 blocks from the visitor's center; 3 blocks from the Juliette Gordon Low House; a 25 minute walk to Forsythe park, and there was a CAT Fare Free Bus Stop right outside the hotel. We also were able to walk to the Railway Museum in less than 10 minutes.
* The room was very large, very clean, and very comfortable
* The room had a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker.
* Breakfast was included

BAD:
* Our room was a handicap accessible room (which we didn't request or need, but received anyway.) This meant that we did not have the dividing wall that most of the regular rooms have. I would have preferred some separation so that my husband and I could watch TV while the kids were in bed.
* The bathroom was split into two rooms - the shower and sink in one room, and the toilet and a sink in the other. It was a little awkward.
* The doors to the bathrooms were very modern style sliding doors. They had no locks, and didn't really close all of the way. Lack of privacy was an issue.
* There was no safe in the room.
* There was no TV Channel listing in the room.
* The breakfast had a long line, usually because the make your own waffle and pancake stations were in the middle of the buffet.
* The pool was very small, and it was HOT!

Overall, the hotel was pretty good. The best parts were the location and the size of the room. The worst was the bathroom doors and the lack of privacy. The staff were all exceptionally friendly, and they were happy to hold our bags after check-out until my husband's business meeting was over.

I would likely stay again, but I would request a regular (not handicap accessible) room.

You can vsiit the concierge to purchase any attraction tickets you are interested in. He/she can also give you a map for the Fare-free bus system. This is a GREAT resource. You can ride it almost anywhere in the Historic District for free. The busses are clean and air-conditioned, and you meet fellow travellers and locals on it. A great plus for the city of Savannah!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
StacySturgis, Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

GatorBeth,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I am glad you found the hotel's location to be convenient and the staff to be accommodating. I apologize that you were given an accessible room. Sometimes we have guests choose to stay over that were due to check out. When this happens, we usually have to put other guests in the closest room type to what they requested. We have fixed the breakfast issue by moving the waffle station to the other side of the breakfast area. This cut down on the traffic back up drastically. The bathrooms are something that some guests love and some do not. We are trying to find a way to address the lock issue. I apologize for the other issues you encountered during your stay. I hope you will stay with us again when you return to Savannah.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

We were here most of the week for the DTI Nationals at the civic center. The location was perfect, all we had to do is walk across the street to the center. Also we were within walking distance of great restaurants and shopping. The rooms were beautifully decorated and spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable and got a great nights sleep. All of the staff was so helpful and courteous, the valet guys were extremely nice and we never had to wait for our car, they would also have it running and cooled for us. Front desk staff were very quick and check in was so easy. The housekeeping staff were super nice and did a great job. We've stayed at TownPlace Suites by Marriott and they were not nearly as nice as this. They would never have enough food for the people staying there and did noy refill it at all during the morning. The breakfast here was really good and lots of choices for the whole family. The only thing that could be improved is possibly another serving line to speed up the process when it is as booked as they were this week. The work out room was also one of the nicest I've ever seen at a hotel. I'm already making plans to stay here again next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
StacySturgis, Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2010

JEllen59,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. The breakfast line is an issue that we are currently addressing and have already made a few changes to it since opening. I look forward to your visit next year!

Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had a lovely stay at the Springhill suites in downtown Savannah. The hotel itself was modern, beautifully decorated, and very clean. The rooms were spacious, immaculate, quiet and very comfortable. The bathrooms were also very nice and clean. The hotel staff was incredibly accommodating. The valets made sure they had our car ready and cooled off for our requested times. They helped us pack and unpack and even retrieved items from the car that we had forgotten. The hotel breakfast was delicious. The only thing is that it gets crowded, so get there early. My only other issue was that the pool is open late and at 10 pm when my family was trying to sleep there were people yelling in the pool. However, we were able to sleep comfortably once we fell asleep. That also only happened one night during our stay. The location is also fantastic. It is a few blocks away from City Market and easy walking distance from the rest of the major sites.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
StacySturgis, Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Robby419,
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I'm sorry about the noise from the pool, but glad you were able to sleep well. I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed here July 6-9 and had a great visit. The rooms were clean and modern and the beds were very comfortable with high quality linens and pillows. We have a two year old and prefer to stay in suites when we travel because she goes to bed before us. However, these are not two room suites; instead they are rooms with a partial divider to create a separate sitting area. I was aware of this from the website before we arrived, so I wasn't disappointed. The outdoor pool area was great for an afternoon dip and provided some much needed shady relief from the heat and humidity. We had great access to all of the historic sights and never once felt compelled to take a bus or taxi. I have only two complaints: breakfast and soundproofing. All three mornings we were there we headed down to breakfast about a half hour before it closed. It was always completely full and there was no real flow of traffic, so it was hard to access the small buffet area with the breads, toasters, waffles, etc. Also, even though there was still a half hour left of the service, none of the items were being refilled, which was disappointing. We never were able to get any of the hot items as a result. Also, I was disappointed to see that they were using styrofoam plates--paper would just fine for those items and much more environmentally friendly. My second complaint was that we could hear all of the room doors in our hall opening and closing throughout the night, and our next door neighbor's door would cause the wall behind our bed to shake each time. This was only a distraction on one night when there seemed to be a family reunion happening on our floor with a lot of coming and going. Overall, we were pleased with our stay and would definitely return. We'll just plan on getting to breakfast sooner.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the SpringHill Suites Downtown Savannah from July 16-18th for our 1 year wedding anniversary. The hotel staff had great customer service qualities from check in, valet, breakfast, and checkout. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable!
The hotel was within walking distance to all the main historic sites. My only complaint was our first night stay. The room next door was having a party with extremely loud music! I had to call down to the front desk twice. They finally sent an officer up to the room and they quieted down for a little bit. Then at 3am they became noisy again. I went down to the front desk and asked for a new room, they said they were full but would move us the next day, which they did. I got absolutely no sleep the first night and should not have had to pay anything for that night, the noise was completely unacceptable, especially when you spent most of the day driving and you just want to relax. Our second night was much better and quieter, we actually got to sleep. They did wave our parking fee for the 2 days, however I still believe we should have received a discount for Friday night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

poodle814,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. I am glad you found our staff to be helpful from check in to check out. I sincerely apologize for the noise issues you had on your first night and am glad we were able to find you a quieter room the next day. I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed July 13, 2010

Stayed here with my family for one night. Our room was nice but the valet damaged our car and then the manager refused to speak to us over the phone because it was his day off. Well, it was our VACATION!!! He would not even speak to Marriott customer care. Do not stay here if you value your car or personal relations. This manager is the worst. It has been 3 days and we have yet to be contacted by him.

Hotels operated 24/7 but this one operates at the leisure of the manager. Beware of his schedule. It may not suit yours...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
StacySturgis, Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

thebigappel,

I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. There seems to have been some miscommunication regarding our contact this week. I am sorry about that. I emailed you this morning and have attempted to call you as well. I unfortunately was unable to speak to you on Sunday for personal reasons explained in the email I sent. As far as the incident with your vehicle, I sincerely apologize for this. We have filed an insurance claim and you should be contacted by our representative soon if you have not been already. Unfortunately we have to process claims for vehicle damage through our insurance and are unable to issue cash for repairs as you requested Sunday. I hope you understand that my hands are tied on this. I hope that the refunding of your Marriott Rewards points spent for your stay with us as well as the email I sent will help your opinion of our hotel and that you will consider giving us another shot should you return to Savannah.