“Great location and amenities.”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #40 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed here with my wife, 9yr old and 8 mo old for 3 nights after Christmas 2009. The room wasn't huge but it felt new and updated. Felt like I was in an Ikea display at first with the modern and super practical furniture but the layout and space grew on me. I thought it would feel small at first glance but it never did. Bathroom layout (w 2 sinks) was great to have as well as seperate bath from toilet space. Beds were a bit on the soft side (admittedly I am a 80something sleep number though) so others may find them perfect.

If you don't like crowds and like the free breakfast get there early as the breakfsat space fills up quickly and the noise-congestion is a little much to start a day out with. Free breakfast wasn't spectacular but they had the basics (cereal, bagels etc) with the token 2 hot items. Only complaint with the bar is the coffee. We ended up pining for a nearby starbucks :)

Only major complaint I have is that the hotel is 100% valet and they are not the best to put it mildly at dealing with people or managing keys. One of them was a bit rude to my wife and I one day as we were leaving for a drive out to Tybee Island after he got frustrated with our having no ticket or "number." He made it seem like we had forgotten it but we found out almost immediatley later the person parking our car never gave us one to begin with when my wife pointed at her keychain. A simple "I'm sorry" or acknowledgement that he was a little gruff with us for no reason would have been good. Also as we were leaving they couldn't find our keys so my wife ended up looking in this cabinet (2nd time) of dozens eyeballing each one until she found the correct key so the management and organization of the parking could be a lot better overall. Once inside the staff was great. Concierge was helpful and the desk staff were very nice.

The location is great so once you park your car you could go days without needing it which was our case. Overall the hotel was a great base camp for our 3 day stay in town. If you are going to be driving in/out a lot and you are not very tolerant of uneven valet service you may want to pass but otherwise its a thumbs up.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
StacySturgis, Social Media Sales Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

StuckInATLTraffic,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer feedback on the hotel. I understand it can be frustrating to only have the option of valet. We have to do that because in the Historic District space is so limited that parking garages are underground and the space is tight. I am very sorry about the less than satisfactory treatment you received from the valet staff. I will ensure that the valet manager is made aware so that he can be sure his staff is offering the best customer service. They are the first staff you encounter, so their actions can and do set the tone for your stay.

Social Media Sales Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed December 29, 2009

We booked this hotel from the Marriott website because it was the cheapest and newest of the Marriott hotels in Savannah, plus it was well-located and included breakfast. Considering all of these factors, it was a smokin' good deal.

The decor and layout is modern and similar to high-end hotels in Europe--sort of a high-end Ikea look. Interesting features like sliding doors on the bathrooms, bed lights integrated into the bed, steam-proof mirror in the shower, ipod docking station, etc, made the hotel room appealing. The lobby, swimming area, etc, were very chic and I was really impressed.

I stayed at this hotel with my husband, my toddler, and my teenage brother in law. We booked a king bedroom, which came with a sofa-bed as a standard feature. The layout of the room was such that there was physical separation between the king bed and the sofabed, which was a plus. The toilet is in a separate room from the shower, also nice.

The con's of the hotel:
- Although the sliding doors on the shower and toilet rooms was very cool looking, the doors were loud and since they could not be locked, my toddler delighted in throwing them open.
- For all the meticulous attention to detail, they didn't stock enough towels and we had to call down for more. I think that we may not have indicated that there would be 3 adult guests, so that may be our bad.
- Like all Marriott hotels, breakfast was a madhouse. This hotel had particularly poor staffing at the breakfast rush hour, as evidenced by the overflowing trash cans and empty food containers. This is counterbalanced by the fact that at least they *have* a breakfast, and a very good one at that, so I give that criticism with some hesitation.
- We did not plan to do much food prep in the room so this was no problem for us, but the kitchen area is somewhat spartan. If you plan to use the kitchen extensively, this may not be the best place--it has a microwave and a fridge but it is a small area tucked in a corner by the door.

The service here, in general, is excellent. The front desk is helpful and knowledgeable.

I was generally more impressed with this hotel than I have been with any hotel in a very long time. It was shockingly inexpensive relative to the quality.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Ninja_Catz,

I am so glad we wowed you with the value and customer service. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns as we are always trying to improve. We can only become better if our guests offer honest feedback. I have addressed the door lock issue with the General Manager and we will work on trying to find a solution.

Reviewed December 14, 2009

I loved the decor. With the Savannah College of Art and Design right up the road, felt this hotel did fit right in. Everything was in walking distance. The staff could not have been more helpful. Definitely my new place to stay when in town.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

mcehrlic,

Thank you so much! I am so glad you loved it!

Reviewed December 8, 2009

We lasted one night (of a 5 night reservation). Hated the ultra modern look, especially for a new hotel located in the historical district. Left and went to Courtyard a couple of blocks away for a room we considered more traditional. A new room, yes, but room was narrow - reminded me of hotels in Asia where space is a premium. No bath tub and shower door gap generated a large puddle in the shower room. Towel too thin for Marriott.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

noles2u,

Thank you for taking a minute to write a review about our hotel. I am sorry you did not like the hotel. It is definitely contemporary and unlike anything Savannah's Historic District has to offer. I am glad you found another location that better suited your tastes. While the hotel decor is far from traditional, our staff is second to none! I hope that during the one night you were with us you were shown fantastic customer service and Southern hospitality.

Reviewed November 21, 2009

The room is well appointed and very comfortable. It was unusually large and the modern furniture was visually appealing and comfy at the same time. My only complaint is that the towels provided could have been more plush but that would probably be nit-picking on my end. Its location is perfect because it's very close to the historic district. City Market and The Lady & Sons are within a 5-10 minute stroll and River Street is not much further. We also didn't expect breakfast to be available since other Marriotts will charge extra for breakfast. When we were informed at check-in that breakfast will be served I thought it would just be some fruit, cereal and coffee but it turned out to be a substantial HOT breakfast with turkey patties, eggs, oatmeal, freshly-made waffles aside from cereal and bagels. I want to plan another visit to Savannah just to have an excuse to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2009

This hotel just opened in the fall of this year (2009), and we were pleasantly surprised with the hotel from the service we received as soon as we drove up to the rooms, and cool modren decor. I am in a wheelchair and often have problems feeling comfortable when I travel, but this hotel was totally accessible, and even had accessible rooms with 2 QUEEN-SIZED beds (which can be difficult to find). We never even expected to have a consierge service in a hotel at this price. She made us dinner reservations, booked us tickets to a show, and wrote us directions BY HAND! The rooms are large, with a semi-seperate seating area complete with a sofa, a large flat screen tv, free internet access, a coffee table, a desk, and a food center that includes a microwave and frige. The hot complimentary breakfast was just another added plus! I haven't been to Savannah in over 5 years, but I look forward to coming back really soon, and staying here at the SpringHill Suites in Downtown.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

LilRedDeltahood,

Thanks so much for the review you wrote about our hotel! We love to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us and can't wait to come back!

Reviewed November 7, 2009

We recently stayed here over Halloween. This is a new hotel on the western border of the historic distric. Here are our pros and cons.

Pro:
1) New hotel. It still had the new hotel smell. The rooms were clean. Great bed. Big flat screen TV. Mini fridge and microwave. A nice big shower. A separate sittng area.
2) It was on the west end of the historic district. It was a 4 block walk to the City Market. Here's a tip. If you plan to do the Trolly Tours, it's an easier and shorter walk to City Market than the Visitor's Center. (Stop 10 and 14 on Old Trolly Tours). From City Market, it's another 5 minutes to the Waterfront and Bay Street. Many restaurants there.
3) Location is good. You are within a 20 minute walk to everything in the historic district except the Pirate House. This city is a very walking friendly city.

Con:
1) The layout of the room is a little weird. It has an Asian feel to it. When you are lying on the bed, you face the 2 bathroom areas. On the left, there is the toilet and a very small sink in one room. To the right, there is a separate room where the main sink and shower are. The doors slide and never fully close. In the room where the toilet is, the pedestal sink had no room to put soap or anything else.
2) There is nothing in the hotel that tells you that you are in the South. I know it's new, but as stated before, it has more of an Asian feel that a Southern feel. You could uproot this hotel and put it anywhere in the country and not have to change anything.
3) The breakfast buffet is the same menu as every other Springhill Suites. Egg patty, sausage patty, waffles, oatmeal, breads, etc. No biscuits and gravy? Really?! I am in the South, right?

I would recommend this hotel because the pros outweigh the cons.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Kman

1Kman,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I am so glad the location worked so well for you! It is right in the middle of everything in the Historic District and you can walk anywhere. The hotel is contemporary and is unlike anything else in the Historic District. It is definitely not what you would expect to see in that location, but many guests think that is one of the things that makes it great! I hope that if you visit Savannah again that you will stay with us!