“Good for an overnight”

Ranked #38 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good for an overnight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

A no frills functional hotel. The accommodation suited our requirements and the suite and beds were comfortable. The valet staff gave us a really warm greeting and were extremely helpful throughout our stay. After the wonderful greeting from the valet staff, we received a lukewarm greeting from reception. The hotel is within easy walking distance of all the sights. We dined at Vics on the River which was great - you need to reserve. We were told breakfast was served until 11.00 am but when we arrived at 10.30 am it was all shut down. The Concierge advised us to try the Cobblestone Cafe which was a short walk away and excellent. We also recommend the Old Town Trolley tours - fabulous commentary and very courteous and helpful. And if you have kids - even if you don't - a stop at the Savannah Candy Kitchen is worth it.

1 Thank eferg_11
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
eferg_11,

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you found the rooms accommodating and the beds comfortable. We are shocked to hear that you received a lukewarm greeting from our Front Desk staff, as well as incorrect Breakfast hours, and on behalf of the staff we'd like to offer our sincere apologies. We have addressed these concerns with the staff are working to ensure these things will not happen again. I am happy to hear that the Valet Staff was extremely friendly, and the Concierge was able to make some great recommendations for you!

You definitely tried three of our favorite places to eat during your stay, and we are so happy that you enjoyed all of them. Pralines are a treat that I think everyone (adult or child) who visits Savannah must try! We hope to see you again soon!

- Lee Smith, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I was a little apprehensive when making our reservation because the hotel appeared to be somewhat on the perimeter of the historic district, but the location is very convenient and within easy walking distance of the City Market, River Street, and other attractions. Rooms were clean and spacious, great for three people (and three generations) traveling together. Valet parkers were friendly, fast, and great sources of information on how to get around, where to eat (the "hidden gems"), etc.

1 Thank 2kMOM
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Happytravelers53090,

Thank you so very much for your kind and detailed review! It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are working to address the issue that you found with our towels, so hopefully the next time we see you this will be taken care of. Thank you for your feedback regarding our breakfast! We just opened a lovely new banquet space next to the breakfast area that can be used for seating when needed, to provide even more of a scenic sitting area.

We'd love to have your family back soon! Thank you again for your comments.

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed here in September 2011. It is a very modern updated hotel and very comfortable. Plenty of room with couch and TV area separated a bit from the bedroom area. Loved the decor. Staff was very nice and the Concierge was very helpful getting tickets, giving advice, etc.. While it is at the edge of all the squares, etc. we walked everywhere and never had to take our car out to get any place. Our room looked out on a busy street but noise wasn't a problem.

The only negative that I found is the toliet is quite a distance from the area with the shower and large sink area where you would do most of your getting ready. But there is a separate sink in the area with the toliet so it is OK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DianeE1201
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

My 2 sisters and I visiting Savannah, GA Sept. 25-29, 2011. Our suite here was perfect! It accommodated 3 people so well. It is beautifully decorated and the bedding was so fresh and clean and the beds were very comfortable. (although I will say the towels are a little thin). Well laid out room with a nice large sitting area in the room. The 2 computers and printer in the lobby were extremely handy. Coffee is continuously available in the lobby. The breakfast was outstanding - all the basic cold cereals, oatmeal with many toppings, grits, breads, muffins, toast, yogurt, juices, fruit etc. as well as hot scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffles. One of the best continental breakfasts I've ever seen served in a very beautiful setting. The staff at this hotel is extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. This hotel is very conveniently located. You won't be disappointed in any way. 5 stars!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Happytravelers53090
Happytravelers53090,

We are so happy that you and your sisters enjoyed our hotel, and we thank you for your wonderful review! I am thrilled that you loved the decor, location, and breakfast. I am so proud to hear that you found the staff helpful and friendly. I will be sharing your comments with them. We would love to have you back on your next Girl's Weekend!

See you soon,
Lee Smith - General Manager
Goose Creek, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

I judge a hotel by whether I would stay on a return visit. I would most certainly return to this hotel. The staff was wonderful. The location was great. The room was quiet and very comfortable. Unique furniture and room fixtures for a nice change to your average hotel decor. Everything was clean and well maintained. Even though the breakfast was average, there was a nice variety. Something for everyone. Thanks again Marriott.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Stringbean57,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel, and found our decor to be something different from the norm. We are proud of our very unique hotel! We would love to have you back to stay with us again the next time that you visit Savannah! Thanks again for your review, and we will see you again soon!

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I am so disappointed in my stay at this hotel. This is my 2nd visit and I was only there because after my last trip the manager from the hotel sent me email and said that they weren't so bad and to please try them again. I did and wished I would have booked the dumpster out back because that would have been more enjoyable.

From the moment of check in when I saw my original room had bloody sheets, to the shower head falling off mid shower and hitting my head, to the screaming guests that spring hill refused to do anything about, and finally my bill which they charged me to valet park a car that I didn't have. This hotel and its staff are so incompetent. I have never had such a bad experience at ANY hotel. I almost feel like they were making things bad (shower head and charges to my bill) intentionally.
It is never a good sign when you check in to a hotel and it seems that there were not fresh sheets put on the bed. There were blood on the pillow and I even took pictures. 1 day later after switching rooms I am in the shower washing my hair and the cheap shower head just falls off. I am lucky that when the shower head hit me I was turned around and it only grazed my shoulder and back. It left a nice red mark for a few hours. Then later that nite when unruly pot smoking drunk guests were permitted by hotel security to roam the halls shouting at each other. I and other guest called security twice but NOTHING was done. You would think that an actual police officer (as the front desk claimed they were) would know the smell the marijuana and force these people to leave. The next morning I asked the front desk if I could switch to a different floor since she wasn't bale to make the rowdy guests leave. I get to my new room and surprise keys do not work. I got to lug all my stuff for the 3rd time downstairs to get new keys. The last straw was when I got my bill. I usually wait for the e bill and was incensed to see valet charges on my bill. I didn't even bring a car with me on this trip. This had to be intentional from a hotel staffer. Now not only do I have an inaccurate receipt but I wait for Springhill to correct and credit BEFORE I can get reimbursed from my company.

I never stayed in such a low rent place, with low rent people that work there.

Room Tip: Book any other hotel in this town
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank shamrockjulie
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
shamrockjulie,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take all feedback seriously, and we deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. For this, we sincerely apologize. In the Service Industry, the very thing that makes us great can also be our downfall, and that is that we are a "human-run" industry. We are all prone to human error, and I can assure you that these inconveniences were in no way intentional.

We understand that we failed you, and that while we did try to rectify the situation by changing your room several times, we could not resolve these matters to your satisfaction, and for that we are truly apologetic.

As you can see by other reviews, this is not the type of service that we normally provide. We strive to go above and beyond to provide excellent service to every guest, and we will use this review as a learning tool for each department to ensure that this do not occur in the future. Again, we do apologize for these matters, and we hope that you find a hotel that meets your needs in Savannah.

- Lee Smith, General Manager
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I'm Marriott Gold Elite and have been most pleased with this hotel located in the historic district. They only have valet parking - but are very prompt. The hotel is very new (2 yrs I think), well maintained, very modern (interesting for Savannah, I might say), with a very refreshing environment. The staff is very acommodating and extremely friendly. The pictures here and on the hotel website are very accurate. Pool is on level two and is a nice getaway. I do wish it was more plush out there - it needs greened up (more plants) and that would make it easily feel like a bit of an oasis. But whatever, that hot tub last night felt amazing after a day of travel and sightseeing. I higly recommend this place, for sure. The bed is very comfy.

Room Tip: Just ask for one with a good view. I had to be in an dbl/dbl accessible room with walk in shower du...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
TxMatt76,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so proud that you are pleased with our hotel. Our hotel is in fact 2 years old this year, and we are happy that you found our contemporary decor refreshing. Thank you for your suggestion of putting more greenery around the pool, I agree that it would create a more relaxing environment. I am happy that you found the hot tub inviting after a day of sightseeing. Savannah is best seen by foot, and this can lead to a need for some rest and relaxation at the end of a long day of exploring. I hope to see you again soon!