“2nd Impression even worse than the 1st visit”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #39 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Orlando, Florida
“2nd Impression even worse than the 1st visit”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I am so disappointed in my stay at this hotel. This is my 2nd visit and I was only there because after my last trip the manager from the hotel sent me email and said that they weren't so bad and to please try them again. I did and wished I would have booked the dumpster out back because that would have been more enjoyable.

From the moment of check in when I saw my original room had bloody sheets, to the shower head falling off mid shower and hitting my head, to the screaming guests that spring hill refused to do anything about, and finally my bill which they charged me to valet park a car that I didn't have. This hotel and its staff are so incompetent. I have never had such a bad experience at ANY hotel. I almost feel like they were making things bad (shower head and charges to my bill) intentionally.
It is never a good sign when you check in to a hotel and it seems that there were not fresh sheets put on the bed. There were blood on the pillow and I even took pictures. 1 day later after switching rooms I am in the shower washing my hair and the cheap shower head just falls off. I am lucky that when the shower head hit me I was turned around and it only grazed my shoulder and back. It left a nice red mark for a few hours. Then later that nite when unruly pot smoking drunk guests were permitted by hotel security to roam the halls shouting at each other. I and other guest called security twice but NOTHING was done. You would think that an actual police officer (as the front desk claimed they were) would know the smell the marijuana and force these people to leave. The next morning I asked the front desk if I could switch to a different floor since she wasn't bale to make the rowdy guests leave. I get to my new room and surprise keys do not work. I got to lug all my stuff for the 3rd time downstairs to get new keys. The last straw was when I got my bill. I usually wait for the e bill and was incensed to see valet charges on my bill. I didn't even bring a car with me on this trip. This had to be intentional from a hotel staffer. Now not only do I have an inaccurate receipt but I wait for Springhill to correct and credit BEFORE I can get reimbursed from my company.

I never stayed in such a low rent place, with low rent people that work there.

Room Tip: Book any other hotel in this town
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank shamrockjulie
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
shamrockjulie,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take all feedback seriously, and we deeply regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. For this, we sincerely apologize. In the Service Industry, the very thing that makes us great can also be our downfall, and that is that we are a "human-run" industry. We are all prone to human error, and I can assure you that these inconveniences were in no way intentional.

We understand that we failed you, and that while we did try to rectify the situation by changing your room several times, we could not resolve these matters to your satisfaction, and for that we are truly apologetic.

As you can see by other reviews, this is not the type of service that we normally provide. We strive to go above and beyond to provide excellent service to every guest, and we will use this review as a learning tool for each department to ensure that this do not occur in the future. Again, we do apologize for these matters, and we hope that you find a hotel that meets your needs in Savannah.

- Lee Smith, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I'm Marriott Gold Elite and have been most pleased with this hotel located in the historic district. They only have valet parking - but are very prompt. The hotel is very new (2 yrs I think), well maintained, very modern (interesting for Savannah, I might say), with a very refreshing environment. The staff is very acommodating and extremely friendly. The pictures here and on the hotel website are very accurate. Pool is on level two and is a nice getaway. I do wish it was more plush out there - it needs greened up (more plants) and that would make it easily feel like a bit of an oasis. But whatever, that hot tub last night felt amazing after a day of travel and sightseeing. I higly recommend this place, for sure. The bed is very comfy.

Room Tip: Just ask for one with a good view. I had to be in an dbl/dbl accessible room with walk in shower du...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
TxMatt76,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so proud that you are pleased with our hotel. Our hotel is in fact 2 years old this year, and we are happy that you found our contemporary decor refreshing. Thank you for your suggestion of putting more greenery around the pool, I agree that it would create a more relaxing environment. I am happy that you found the hot tub inviting after a day of sightseeing. Savannah is best seen by foot, and this can lead to a need for some rest and relaxation at the end of a long day of exploring. I hope to see you again soon!

Lee Smith
Dublin
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Handy location for historic district, staff are friendly, free wifi, 2 double beds and a pull out bed in the room. Modern clean shower room, separate to toilet which is handy when sharing. Only drawback is $15 for parking, but on street parking is available if you get up early to pay the meter at 8am.

• Stayed September 2011
kodo,

Thank you for reviewing us! We are happy that you found our hotel very clean and convenient. The pool helps to be refreshing on those hot September days, and it's even heated in the Winter, so if you come back to see us, you may enjoy our pool year-round! I hope to see you again soon!

Lee Smith
Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were 4 adults and a baby, so it was hard to find a hotel room we could share. This one was recommended by others and I am glad I went with their review. Separate toilet & sink, besides the bathroom with shower and sink made it convenient. Small refrigerator, microwave, work desk, pull-out bed for 5th person. The hotel provided a crib for our daughter. It is located a block from the City Market. My husband and I even walked to Bay & River Streets.

Very clean, excellent breakfast including waffles you make yourself. Wonderful staff made our stay very enjoyable. Valet parking is $15/day at hotel, but if you go on weekdays there is plenty of one-street parking. Also you can purchase a $8 for 2 days pass from the Visitor's Center. This pass will allow you to park at any metered parking spot, or lot owned by the City. we got this pass and saved a ton of headaches with change.

Will recommend to anyone who has a big party.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
OhioYatri,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so happy that our larger rooms were able to comfortably accommodate your family of 5. I feel that the separate bathrooms really help speed up the process of a large family getting ready!

The pass from the Visitor's Center is a great way to park without as many headaches. It's available to guests with an out of county ID. We hope to see you again the next time that you visit our lovely city!

Fairhope,AL
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Such a nice relaxing room, very well apportioned and clean. Staff at hotel was very friendly and helpful, from the valets to housekeeping, front desk and concierge.
Great location, walking distance to everything in Savannah. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
xouts,

We wish you could've stayed longer as well! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and I am so proud to hear that all staff members you encountered were friendly and helpful. We hope to see you again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The place is brand new and beautiful. The rooms are bigger than some apartments in NYC. They all have couches, desks, microwaves and mini refrigerators. The decor is contemporary and chic. This place was really funky. Breakfast was free but the eggs are powdered and nasty. No matter what do not take room 127. Unlike the way it sounds it is the first room and next to the gym and across from the conference room. Translation-you wake up with the first conference (this morning it was at 7!!! and you get up with the first treadmill run-in this case it was 7:15). That really really sucked.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
leesmithgm, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
wanderlust30268,

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled that you loved our contemporary decor, as well as the large size of our studio suites. I apologize that you found the eggs at breakfast unappealing, but I hope that you found other delicious options on our buffett. I also apologize that your room was noisy, but I can assure you that we are working to find mats to place in our Fitness Center to help absorb some of the noise. The next time you come to Savannah, please do not hesitate to speak with myself or one of our other members of management, and we will personally make sure that you are in a more quiet area of the hotel. Thanks again for taking the time to review us, and we hope to see you soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Great hotel and great location. Looked like a boutique hotel. Very quiet, and pool was fun on a humid day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
weezee42,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so happy you enjoyed our pool and proximity to River Street. It is very humid at the end of the summer in Savannah, and I'm happy that the pool could cool you down. We look forward to seeing you again the next time that you travel to Savannah!