“Take it from a local...”
Review of Sandfly BBQ

Sandfly BBQ
Ranked #113 of 880 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: We love making awesome BBQ and we love friendly customers!
Description: We love making awesome BBQ and we love friendly customers!
Savannah, Georgia
“Take it from a local...”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was fun to glance through the rave reviews by so many from out of town who somehow managed to locate Sandfly barbeque. Even a local cannot take this spot for granted in the little food mecca. I'm not the barbeque fanatic my husband is, but I'll have to say (and this is coming from a transplant from Tennessee), this might just be the best barbeque I've ever tasted. The restaurant has just a few tables both in and out, and license plates cover the walls giving it an country flavor all it's own. The hardest part about going there , and I do drive by often, is deciding between the pulled pork and the pulled chicken...a delectable dilemma for sure. heck, try a combination plate why don'tcha? Finish it off with the banana pudding. You'll be glad you did!

1 Thank JRH1228

Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great BBQ to have stumbled upon!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Found this hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint between Wormsloe and Bonaventure Cemetery.

Would highly recommend leaving the city, if you are looking for good BBQ. We even bought a bottle of sauce to take home!

1 Thank Debbie J
Savannah, Georgia
“Simply Delicious”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visited Sandfly last year and had the pleasure to return with my daughter this year (her first time) on a beautiful Mother's Day weekend. The food is still so good and the staff was just as friendly. I am partial to the ribs, so I had them again. Very tender and definitely a true smokey flavor. You can get the 6 bone or 4 bone plate. We each got the 4 bone plate and we both took some ribs home. A 6 bone would have been perfect for both of us to share the ribs and two sides, although if I do that next time I'd have to have an extra side of collards :-) We had the baked beans and coleslaw as well. Those collards were seasoned perfectly and had a nice little kick of heat. The place is small, but indoor and outdoor seating is available. What could be better than ribs, sweet tea and gorgeous weather for outdoor dining? Also, we observed many people getting take-out orders; I suspect mostly the locals who probably go on a regular basis. Sandfly is tucked away in a small strip mall, about 25 minutes from downtown Savannah, but it's an easy drive and very worth it. My daughter thought is was great!

Manassas, Virginia
“A new Georgia favorite”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Driving through Savannah, we wanted a good BBQ place, the real thing. We found the Sandfly BBQ joint after checking Trip Advisor. It's in an out of the way strip mall that I can safely say we never would have found had it not been for TA.

It's the best kind of place, a kind of little hole in the wall with lots of cute little pigs on display. You order at the counter and then can eat outside, get it to go or sit at one of the half a dozen tables inside. The BBQ was delicious. Living in VA for 25 years, we've been to so many BBQ places that all claim to be the best but Sandfly was truly one of the best we've had.

I had a pulled pork plate with baked beans and some of the best potato salad I've eaten. I'm somewhat of a potato salad snob and am very picky. You get your choice of three sauces that were all very good, although I still am not used to the vinegar based one. We got a lot of food for the money, were filled up and have since stopped a couple more times.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Yorkiemom19
Seal Beach, California
“Great Savannah BBQ”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

It is wonderful to know if you look at Trip Advisor and the recommendations of people who care enough to share their experiences that you will be guided to the best restaurants.

This BBQ is in a strip mall and is definitely a neighborhood BBQ. When we arrived we were told the ribs were going to be finished in about 10 minutes, but they were ready by the time we got our drinks and sat down.

The aroma is everything I had wished for and the taste and sauce were wonderful. The meat fell from the bone and I felt so fortunate to have discovered this gem. They had cokes I the bottle, which is a rare thing for me to find.

We were also lucky enough to arrive about 10 minutes before the restaurant was totally filled with many happy customers.

Even though this restaurant is about a half hour from town, give it a try; it is totally worth it.

1 Thank Courtrep