“Deserves it's Rating”
Review of Sandfly BBQ

Sandfly BBQ
Ranked #118 of 883 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: We love making awesome BBQ and we love friendly customers!
Description: We love making awesome BBQ and we love friendly customers!
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Its amazing to me how reliable TripAdvisor the ratings are for restaurants. This one didn't let us down. It was late on a Saturday night and our family decided take-out was the way to go. I scanned TripAdvisor and found Sandfly BBQ on Ferguson Avenue. There wasn't an online menu (someone should post) so I called and got a solid recommendation for combo plate of beef brisket, pulled pork and ribs. There was four of us, and two plates were plenty for everyone and still had left overs. The ribs were well cooked - maybe a little bit overcooked, but it was the end of the night. The smoke flavor and sauce were perfect. The pulled pork was tender and moist, also a nice smoked flavor - not overbearing at all. We choose the mac and cheese, potato salad and sweet potato fries as side items. These too were fresh and very tasty. the sweet potato fries are crinkle cut, the mac and cheese - made fresh you can tell. Our take-out included two sauces a tomato based - sweet and spicy, and a mustard based more tart and sweet.

Sandfly has a small seating area in this strip mall storefront. There is nothing here that is precocious. Simply good bbq in a relaxed atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Sandfly BBQ

Reviewed February 20, 2013

After reading the Trip Advisor reviews, my wife and I decided to make the drive out to Sandfly BBQ. It's located in a small strip shopping center a few miles from downtown Savannah. There were several friendly locals in the small dining room which is always a good sign. We were disappointed to be told upon ordering that they were already out of brisket at 6:00 PM on a Saturday night since that was specifically why we decided to make the trek in the first place. We ordered the Hog Wild Platter: 2 individual Ribs, Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, and Smoked Sausage for $16.95. They offered to substitute 1 additional rib or some extra pulled pork for the missing brisket. We opted for the pulled pork since its hard to split one rib between 2 people. We added a bowl of Brunswick stew to go along with our sides of french fries and collard greens. The ribs and sausage were fairly run of the mill for a BBQ place - nothing special in our opinion. The pulled pork was moist with a nice smoked flavor - glad we decided to go with extra of it instead of the 1 extra rib as a sub for the brisket. But I have to say that the real winners were the Brunswick stew and the collards. Both tasted like they came right off Grandmama's stove - homemade with fresh ingredients cooked to perfection for these two Southerners. I would come back for them - but I'd call ahead first to make sure they weren't out of brisket before I headed all the way out.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sandfly BBQ is an unpretentious combination take-out/eat-in with seating for 20. The menu is posted on a chalkboard, and your order is taken and delivered to the table, if you are eating in, by friendly servers. The food is not your average BBQ. The food is uniquely flavored and comes in ample but not crazy portions. We went in for dinner at about 5 on Friday night and had no problem with seating. The total cost of two "pulled pork plates", with cole slaw and baked beans for me and fries and greens for my wife, all for $27 (including tip).

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Sandfly BBQ has the best BBQ I've had in Savannah - and this is in every category of BBQ they make. It is consistently fresh and delicious. In addition, their macaroni and cheese is to die for!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This restaurant is non-descript from the outside, tucked into a little strip mall in Sandfly. When you step inside, it is pure retro. Like an old diner from the 50's. The menu is on a chalk board and you order pulled pork, smoked sausage, brisket, ribs, chicken or stew, with a list of southern sides. In a small fridge to the left is a fridge and you can help yourself to a beer. You order at the counter and then go into the small dining area where they bring you your food. The dining area has booths and lots of old license plates on the wall and old pics of Elvis and other oldies stars. They bring you your food on plastic or paper baskets. Three sauces are on the table. We ordered the hog wild platter to give each of us a taste of their main features. It came with two small sides. While we split it for lunch, I would say that the portions weren't that big and for a bigger appetite you shouldn't count on splitting this platter. The food was delicious! At the top of the list was the smoked sausage - the best sausage I have ever tasted. I also really liked the fact that the pulled pork wasn't already smothered in sauce. You could choose whatever sauce you wanted to add to it but it was just plain pulled pork and I was much happier to receive it this way. All the food was absolutely delicious. This is a quick dining experience and well suited for lunch or a fairly quick dinner. Highly recommend.

5  Thank Esme C