“We were locked out of the building until 15 or 20 minutes after appointment time.”
Review of Sweet Water Spa

Sweet Water Spa
Ranked #5 of 33 Spas & Wellness in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: A unique, cozy, quiet respite that appeals to all the senses welcomes you from the pressures of the day. Sweet Water Spa offers Venice elegance with the aclaimed hospitality of the beautiful City of Savannah. We offer a wide range of services, from massage, natural nails, shellac, waxing, microdermabrasion, body treatments, and more.
Beaufort
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend was in town from Ohio, and we decided to get massages before she left - to send her on her way relaxed. I have been to this spa four or five times before, and I always liked that it was a quaint little place in a historical building within walking distance of other things I like to do and see. In the past, I have taken relatives and friends there, and we have always thoroughly enjoyed it. They usually offer mimosas or wine and snacks and allow clients to relax in a small sitting area prior to going upstairs for treatments. I am seven months pregnant, so I would have obviously declined on the mimosas this visit, but my friend probably would have liked one.

This was not the case yesterday, when my friend and I arrived. When we got there, the two massage therapists were standing outside, because the doors were locked. They had been trying to call the owner for several minutes. We all four waited a few more minutes and made a couple more phone calls, but no one could get anyone on the phone. So, one therapist suggested that we walk down the street and have tea, and she'd call to reschedule our appointments when someone arrived to let us all in.

This was frustrating. Like I mentioned, I am seven months pregnant (with twins), and we've been having 100 degree weather. So, walking a few blocks in the heat and getting all sweaty and hot before a massage was not enjoyable. Also, I had really built this place up to my friend.

After we got to the coffee shop, ordered our tea and were just about to sit down, the massage therapist called and said that the owner was coming up. She told us to come back. So, we downed our beverages and walked back. At this point, we're sweating and annoyed. When we got there, no explanation was offered as to why all of this happened. We were given some water and sent upstairs for our massages.

If I were rating this just on the massage itself and on my massage therapist, I would give it a 5. She was truly wonderful. She was very apologetic about what happened, even though it was not her fault. I had the prenatal massage, and she made sure I was very comfortable - surrounded by pillows - and that the pressure was just right at all times. It was very relaxing, and she was fantastic.

The hour spent upstairs getting the massage was wonderful, and my friend couldn't say enough nice things about her therapist. We were both very happy with that part of the experience.

However, upon returning downstairs, we were asked to go into the office right away, rather than having any time to sit in the sitting area. Again, no beverages were offered. We paid (the owner did take off 10 percent - about $7), and we were sort of rushed out. Meanwhile, two employees were sitting in the sitting area eating their lunches. We felt like we were rushed in and out and had no time to sort of sit and relax before going on about our day.

It's a shame that I have gone from thinking this place is a wonderful little spot to take out-of-town guests and local friends to deciding to find another spa to go to. I won't be going back. There are other spas in Savannah and the surrounding area that I will try. One experience like that is enough to put a bad taste in your mouth. I will take my business elsewhere.

Asheville, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Update to previous review”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This is an update to a review I left previously based on a terrible experience I had at this spa last month. After I wrote the review, I was contacted by the owner. Seems they are in the middle of a staff transition and on the day I was there the owner was scrambling to find contractors to fill booked appointments that she could not take due to a broken foot. As for Sandy...well...she WAS rude and unprofessional during my mani/pedi, but she may not have been herself: tooth pain is the worst!!
I can't really give a glowing review b/c my experience WAS awful.
What I CAN say is that the owner went out of her way to track me down and did the only thing she could do to make it right since she obviously can't go back in time: she refunded my money AND gave me a gift certificate to try them again. The gift certificate was really above and beyond the call of duty. Anyone can have a bad day and unfortunately I was there for it. I rarely get to Savannah, but when I do, I will give them another chance! Thanks Niki (owner)!

georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Very partial to this little gem”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Have known about Sweet Water for some time. Love to go there, the owner has really put all top notch evetything here. Serve coffee, tea and champagne wonderful service. Upstairs are chandliers, beautiful paintings and to me ambience is important, really. Small facial room but neat, clean and great gals that do the facials. Don't miss this place. The locals love it and the tourist should all stop by. They really pamper their guests.

5 Thank Grits2
midwest
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Half day really meant all day”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My girlfriends and I booked the half day spa excursion. The day started in the pretty old restored building with mimosas and chocolate -- awesome. The massages were wonderful -- probably the best ever! Lunch was ordered in from a local eatery and eaten on our laps. The food was pretty tasty, but I would recommend that they get a little lunch table as it was hard to balance the cartons on our lap. The mani & pedi left something to be desired. The service was ok but a couple of girls didn't get the usual leg and/or hand massages and they did not have enough people to do the job for more than two girls. Because of the delay, we were there ALL day and had to cancel our late afternoon activity! Sadly, most of us had chipped polish within 24 hours. In short, get the great massage, then head out to enjoy this beautiful city!

2 Thank ivoryrose
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Sheer Bliss”
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We had some rainy days on our trip to Savannah and decided to get massages. We were able to get appointments on the same day and they used the couples massage room for us. After having had many a spa experience in various cities, I can say with confidence that this was the BEST massage both my husband and I have ever had. Our massage therapists - Katie and Morgan - were phenomenal! I was in such a state of tranquility by the time it was over, I felt like I was walking around on a cloud for the rest of the day. My husband wanted to go back the next day for another massage!
They also have a wonderful setup for their pedicure stations with deep whirlpools for your feet and legs and satin cushions on the chairs. Lovely decor, Southern hospitality, and reasonable pricing make this place unbeatable!

1 Thank FleurdeLisFoodie