“Great place for a walk!”

Skidaway Island State Park
Ranked #19 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located near historic Savannah, this park borders Skidaway narrows, a part of Georgia’s intracoastal waterway. Trails wind through maritime forest and past salt marsh, leading to a boardwalk and observation tower. Visitors can watch for deer, fiddler crabs, raccoon, egrets and other wildlife. Inside the park’s interpretive center, birders will find binoculars, reference books and a window where they can look for migrating species such as Painted Buntings. Children will especially enjoy seeing the towering, 20-foot Giant Ground Sloth replica and reptile room. A scenic campground is nestled under live oaks and Spanish moss, while groups can enjoy privacy in their own pioneer campgrounds. Open-air picnic shelters and an enclosed group shelter are popular spots for parties, reunions and other celebrations.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I wanted to go for a walk, so we decided to try someplace new and ended up at Skidaway State Park. What a great place to go for a walk. Plenty of gorgeous scenery, different aspects of nature, just beautiful. If ya want to get outdoors and enjoy some exercise, I strongly suggest going for a walk on the trails of Skidaway Island State Park. Also see campsites and museum.

2  Thank dirtyhippie08
There are newer reviews for Skidaway Island State Park

Reviewed October 22, 2012

It was a year ago that we were here and the campground is still as beautiful as ever. We love this park. You can read my review from last year and it's the same except they added a new comfort station - showers & bathroom facitities in campground three. THANK YOU!!!! It was needed.

When we got here the sign read "FULL" but we had reservations. So that wasn't a problem. We thought with the park being full there would be a lot of noise. But, to our surprise the park remained VERY QUIET!!! It was like the park was empty. There were a lot of people moving around but NO NOISE!

The sites are sooooooooo big & easy to get into. If I'm not mistaken all of them are a drive through,

This time we were only able to stay two nights & wish we could have stayed longer. We will be back next year.

1  Thank nclark62044
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a weekend camping trip (mid-Oct) at Skidaway Island. The temperature was perfect. We needed a little bug spray, but not much. Our kids had so much fun riding their bikes through the campground and on the Big Ferry Trail. The bathrooms were so clean...my 8 yr old daughter gave them a a 5-star rating! We cannot wait to go back again. The sites were very large and wooded.

2  Thank BigGameProShop
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I like this place alot - Park near the pool ad walk the nature trail behind the museum(?) and you will get a true taste of the marsh. High and dry path over wooden walkway eventually leads to Skidaway(?) River. We have walked there many times. We also like the path that goes to the observation tower.
Pack a snack, bring some water, mosquito repellent, and spend a few hours. You will not see many other people beyond the campground. I think that this is the best taste of the area without a boat ride. Some of the wealthiest people around here live on the other side of this island.

1  Thank andrewinsavannah
Reviewed October 9, 2012

....just because I'm not a camping person in general. Although, I will say that the bathroom facilities were clean and well-maintained, which I appreciated. The camping sites were very close to each other, and there wasn't much privacy or space between us and the other campers. We enjoyed the day trip to Savannah, so the location was nice too. It was packed when we went - every site was booked. I noticed there was a lot of "action" - roadbikes, cars, trucks, lots of people up and about, so I didn't really feel secluded or like I was camping at all.

2  Thank Karastar