“Nice place to walk”

Ranked #21 of 222 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located near historic Savannah, this park borders Skidaway narrows, a part of Georgia’s intracoastal waterway. Trails wind through maritime forest and past salt marsh, leading to a boardwalk and observation tower. Visitors can watch for deer, fiddler crabs, raccoon, egrets and other wildlife. Inside the park’s interpretive center, birders will find binoculars, reference books and a window where they can look for migrating species such as Painted Buntings. Children will especially enjoy seeing the towering, 20-foot Giant Ground Sloth replica and reptile room. A scenic campground is nestled under live oaks and Spanish moss, while groups can enjoy privacy in their own pioneer campgrounds. Open-air picnic shelters and an enclosed group shelter are popular spots for parties, reunions and other celebrations.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I like this place alot - Park near the pool ad walk the nature trail behind the museum(?) and you will get a true taste of the marsh. High and dry path over wooden walkway eventually leads to Skidaway(?) River. We have walked there many times. We also like the path that goes to the observation tower.
Pack a snack, bring some water, mosquito repellent, and spend a few hours. You will not see many other people beyond the campground. I think that this is the best taste of the area without a boat ride. Some of the wealthiest people around here live on the other side of this island.

1  Thank andrewinsavannah
"rented bikes"
in 6 reviews
"bike riding"

Reviewed October 9, 2012

....just because I'm not a camping person in general. Although, I will say that the bathroom facilities were clean and well-maintained, which I appreciated. The camping sites were very close to each other, and there wasn't much privacy or space between us and the other campers. We enjoyed the day trip to Savannah, so the location was nice too. It was packed when we went - every site was booked. I noticed there was a lot of "action" - roadbikes, cars, trucks, lots of people up and about, so I didn't really feel secluded or like I was camping at all.

2  Thank Karastar
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I camped here for a week with my kids sans hubby. I never once felt concerned about our safety, we enjoyed the nature center and the hikes, the location was good-far enough from town that there was no traffic noise but close enough that running in to grab a pizza instead of cooking was reasonable!
Each bathhouse has a laundry, there were hosts out and about but we never needed any help. The few other folks who came and went during the week were polite and quiet, we really enjoyed our stay and will be back

1  Thank ec3forme
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited Skidaway Island while vacationing for a week in Savannah. It was a nice peaceful break from the city, especially in early spring when it's not too hot yet. My teen daughter, niece and I rented trail bikes for two hours and rode through a very bumpy, yet lush and beautiful trail. The landscape here is sub-tropical.. Lots of places to stop and birdwatch along the way. My parents and husband went hiking and enjoyed it. Nice little nature center there as well that the little ones will find interesting and fun.

1  Thank bianca66