“Beautiful home and great tour guides”

Juliette Gordon Low's Birthplace
Ranked #25 of 222 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace is Savannah's first Registered National Historic Landmark. Enjoy a guided tour, tracing the arc of Juliette Gordon Low's life and the Movement she founded that continues to build girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place.
Reviewed April 1, 2008

What really made the home was the outstanding tour guides and their knowledge of the home. The guides were based one in each room and they knew a great deal about the home and its former inhabitants. The home, garden and furnishings are beautiful and most are original to the home. A definite must see.

5  Thank Skigirl1012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)
All reviews
in 84 reviews
in 85 reviews
in 181 reviews

Reviewed September 13, 2007

I used to be in Girl Scouts, so this museum was really interesting. There's a tour guide there. It is supposed to be haunted by Juliette Gordon Low.

2  Thank love_to_travel12345
Reviewed August 25, 2007

The house is beautiful and the tour was very informative and worth the small entrance fee.

1  Thank Crystal D
Reviewed July 21, 2007

No, this isn't a review of ghost lore... My daughter and I signed up as independent Girl Scouts a few years ago and quickly found the administration to be relatively stifling and the organization of events and gatherings was fairly lackluster. And needlessly said, as a result, participation is almost non-existent.

We tried to visit our council museum one time, and they said my daughter (6) was too young to appreciate the exhibits; and even if she wanted to try it, they didn't allow very small children (2) on the property. So, they wouldn't even let us in after making a 4 hour round trip to see the place.

So, even though we planned our scouting pilgrimage to the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace while in Savannah; we weren't expecting much other than a stiff, uncomfortable experience with me doing nothing more than watching both children like a hawk..

Thank goodness I was SO wrong. This museum instilled in me a true appreciation for the way scouting was intended by the founder herself. The guides were warm and so very amicable. They went over and above to involve the children, even my youngest. The interpretation was informative, yet the guide was perfectly attentive to the needs and interests of each of the visitors and was never too quick or too drawn out. I really couldn't have asked for a better experience in which to gauge the true spirit of Girl Scouting. I am glad we didn't turn our backs on the entire organization based on our experiences within our own council; when scouting itself embodies so much more...

But, even if you never were a scout, this is still a great place to sense the history and culture of Savannah at the time; yet to see a woman who was so far ahead of her time...

In addition to several stories of the home, you will also see some very beautiful private gardens. There are a good bit of stairs here and I'm not sure there are any alternatives. You may want to call ahead if this poses a concern for you.

This is a direct stop on the trolley tour; but if you choose to drive, on street parking is easy to find within a 2-3 block radius of the home. There is also a noteworthy cemetary across the street and down about 4 or 5 blocks...

7  Thank TravelinMamax3