“WONDERFUL experience!!!”

Ranked #14 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace is Savannah's first Registered National Historic Landmark. Enjoy a guided tour, tracing the arc of Juliette Gordon Low's life and the Movement she founded that continues to build girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place.
Venice, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“WONDERFUL experience!!!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Troop 542 visited and atteneded a class for Scouts, tour and a pinning ceremony...Miss Sissy was wonderful, as was all the staff! What a wonderful experience for not only Scouts but all who love such a great part of our history, and the future...Girl Scouting!!

Visited March 2011

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 429 helpful votes
“Great for the Girlscout and the non-Girlscout.”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

During our visit to Savannah in July, my husband, two kids (ages 8 and 12) and I decided to visit Julia's birthplace. My eldest had been a Girlscout at one point in her life and our youngest is currently a Brownie. Not only did we think they might find it interesting to see where "it all began", but we hoped that we would all find the tour interesting as well - which we did!

Julia was described as "middle class", but it's obvious that she was closer to upper middle class. With that said, our tour guide was EXCELLENT! Seriously one of the best I've ever encountered. The tour included interesting information about Julia starting Girlscouts as well as information about the house, furnishings, etc. Even if you're not "into" Girlscouts, you will certainly find the tour interesting - if only for viewing a beautiful house and its gardens! It's located right in the middle of the historical district and is worthy of a visit when visiting Savannah. The tour lasts about 40 minutes and are conducted on a continuous basis.

There is a nice gift shop in the ground floor which sells a wide range of items as well. The prices are reasonable.

Sadly, they don't allow pictures to be taken in the house (even without a flash), but postcards can be purchased in the giftshop.

Handicap Access: I believe there is an elevator in the house because I believe I recall there being a person who had difficulty climbing stairs and they took her through another door to meet us upstairs. However, confirm this with them.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank GwenP
Silver Spring, Maryland
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Mecca for Girl Scouts--lived up to the hype!! We loved our tour and Victorian Venture”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

After planning and saving for a couple of years, we finally took our Girl Scouts to GS Mecca--the Birthplace in Savannah!

We had eight in our group--six Cadettes (ages 11-12) and two leaders. I can honestly say that everyone in our group loved our time at the JGL house, and in particular, our Special Interest Session: Victorian Venture.

Tips we would share:
* Plan EARLY, and I mean VERY EARLY, like a couple YEARS early! The house is large for a single family residence by today's standards, but still, it can only hold so many people. You have to do some advance planning and get your forms and deposits in to ensure you get the time and dates you want.
* READ the materials the Birthplace sends you -- all of it! They have massive amounts of GREAT information in their messages. It will make your trip easier. Also have the girls read it -- particularly Birthplace Bound--then they know what to expect and they understand the rules and who is imposing them. I also read a biography of Juliette Gordon Low in advance and that also enhanced my experience.
* Do your homework and choose the right Special Interest Session for your troop. We went with Victorian Venture (we knew we were doing a program later at First HQ, so we didn't want a session that would duplicate the FHQ program). We all got a major kick out of Victorian Venture and the photos were priceless! We dressed in hoop skirts and shawls, made calling cards, had tea (with very proper conversation), and worked on a needlework project. The program leader--Miss Sissy--was wonderful: very patient and sweet. LOVED IT--girls and leaders alike.
* Enjoy the house tour. Sometimes even older girls like young Cadettes can find historical buildings a bit tedious, but the JGL house is really special, and our girls stayed engaged during the house tour.
* Don't forget the pinning ceremony--before your visit to the house (we did this a couple of days in advance) assign girls to lead/plan the ceremony and see what they come up with! We assigned two girls to be leaders for the ceremony and I gave them the materials from the Birthplace to help them construct a ceremony. Of course they came up with something wonderful and touching.
* Plan lunch in advance. Blimpie's around the corner had our lunch ready and waiting when we got to our mid-day break. It was perfect. We still had some time so then we hit Leopold's for some ice cream (our second visit there!), dancing to the juke box, and enjoying the A/C until we were due to return to the JGL House for the rest of our program.
* Dress in your uniform!! I told my girls that this was not optional--uniforms were REQUIRED. I am so glad I did -- the photos are phenomenal and if there is anyplace where a Girl Scout should wear her uniform, this is it!

Don't hesitate to take your troop. It is such a special place, and everywhere we went, there were folks saying "hello Girl Scouts!" We felt very welcome and happy to be in Savannah.

Thank you to the Birthplace and its staff. Our visit was memorable and wonderful and the girls are still talking about it! I will be a Girl Scout FOREVER!!

Visited June 2011
3 Thank Sarahste
Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Interesting!”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I was never a Girl Scout but I love museum houses and so made this a stop during my honeymoon in Savannah. Definitely an interesting house with a great history. Our guide was well versed in Juliette Low's back story and loved taking questions from the group.

Juliette Gordon Low was an impressive woman and it is worth taking the tour to get her story.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank sharp70joc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Mediocre, okay at best.”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Beautiful house but slightly overpriced considering it's just a house tour. The receptionist/front desk lady was very snippy, short, uninformative, and rude. Considering the fact that this house services/and stands for Girl Scouts - this is very off-putting.

The tour guide was informative but it is very Girl Scout and family history-centric. So don't expect an architecturally-interpreted tour. I wanted to visit the other two related houses originally, but decided not to after visiting this one. By no means is this attraction bad though.

1 Thank GlassLamps