“absolutely touching experience - a must-visit”

Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum Inc.
Ranked #42 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum captures the Civil Rights Movement in Savannah. See a Timeline of Civil Rights History that begins in 1865. Read the story of the Father of modern Civil Rights movement in Savannah, Reverend Dr. Ralph Mark Gilbert who reorganized the local chapter of the NAACP in the 1940s segregated South. His successor Westley Wallace Law led the Civil Rights Movement, in Savannah, through the turbulent 1960s with nonviolent protests that resulted in the downtown businesses in the city of Savannah being desegregated by 1963. Visitors to the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum also experience a "church theatre" which symbolizes the church organization and NAACP working in tandem to make the Savannah Civil Right movement a success. In the theatre guests watch a video that is a window into that history from the men and women who were on the front lines of Savannah's Civil Rights Movement.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“absolutely touching experience - a must-visit”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My husband and I visited Savannah for Labor Day weekend, and one of the first places we visited was the Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum. We made an excellent choice. The museum was one of the best and most unique I've ever visited.

This isn't your average museum with artifacts hidden in glass cases. The museum is interactive. You follow a sort of "path" through three floors, where you learn about U.S. African-American history from the time of slavery until present day. There are screens where you can watch poignant moments from the civil rights movement (i.e. Lyndon B. Johnson's speech to Congress). There is a room of original photographs from the 1960s, some of which feature Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There are even theater-type rooms that feature videos about the local civil rights movement in Savannah. The exhibits are geared toward any age, so children as well as adults will find the museum enjoyable.

The tickets are $8 each for adults. We were there for over an hour, and it was worth every minute. The employees were very friendly and helpful, and made us feel genuinely welcome. There are stairs as well as an elevator for easy accessibility to each floor. As a side note, I was impressed that the museum featured a dedication to non-African-Americans who were also instrumental in the civil rights movement. I am not African-American, and I felt like this museum took the time to honor everyone who works (or has worked) to improve the lives of African-Americans throughout the country.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank thestallons

Wichita, Kansas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Good experience but not well managed”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I took our children, 4 and 2 to this museum just to try to teach them a little about history. When we arrived, we were treated by a lady who introduced herself as a volunteer. She immediately tells us that she isn't sure where the manager was but that he was somewhere in the building. We walked into the next room (part of the museum) and started looking around, after walking around for about 15 minutes, a man come up to us and explains that we need to pay for the tickets to see the museum. We honestly could have been halfway through the museum by this point but my children were moving sow. I think that the museum is great to help teach about history or to get a view of how bad things were but if truly think there is a better way to monitor the entrance of the museum.

Visited August 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very educational, especailly for children”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I took my Girl Scout Troop to Savannh this summer and while their we visited the Civil Rights Museum. It was fun, interesting and most of all educational. My girls and the adutls both learned a lot. The tour guide was energetic and interesting,

Visited June 2011
3 Thank MCM912
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“non professional”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

All I have to say is If your business hours say 9-5 PLEASE OPEN for business at 9 like your door says. After walking in the heat to get to the civil rights museum we get there after 9 on 8/2/11 and the museum was NOT open for business. I called later in the day and still no answer nor anyone returned my call. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!! I really wanted to read up and see my history in this museum but was let down by the way business was ran.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank shell197174
Dublin, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Staff was very friendly and museum was clean. Family and I enjoyed the visit. Recommend when visiting Savannah this the place to go see.

Visited July 2011