“Great hotel, location, and service!”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #18 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Boston, MA
“Great hotel, location, and service!”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Residence Inn Downtown while on our honeymoon in Savannah. The manager was great and even gave us valet parking as a wedding gift! All the staff were professional, friendly, and helpful, especially the valet folks. We traveled with our dogs and they felt very welcome, I especially enjoyed getting to eat breakfast with them on the patio. The rooms were extremely clean with a nice, modern design. We walked all around Savannah for four days and were grateful for the hotel's beautiful location, right across the street from a park and convenient to all sights, yet also quiet. This would be my top choice if we return to Savannah for our anniversary!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheEsthete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We just returned from a 5 day trip. We had two rooms, one for my husband and me and another for my mother and her husband. The staff gave us great recommendations on places to eat and sites to see. The city is a national treasure and I am sure we didn't see it all. Zippora at the front desk and Dennis who seemed to be everywhere went out of their way to make our stay a great experience.

The hotel is right across the street from the visitors center and I would suggest taking the trolley tour to learn the history and then take the "dot" the rest of your stay which is free and picks you up at the hotel. We did not have a car and we didn't need one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Clines8812
Layton, Utah
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This hotel has newer suites complete with kitchenette and flat screen TV. Valet parking for $12/day, although most non-city dwellers will do almost anything to avoid paying it, the service is excellent. Typical Residence Inn breakfast and evening hors douvres with beer and wine. The hotel bar/lounge area is better than most with a 6-stool bar and bartender. Pool/patio area with gas grill, lounge chairs, and umbrella tables is very nice. A larger than usual fitness center with modern useful equipment. Within walking distance of historical sites, churches, dining, and bars. The staff is friendly and efficient with lightning quick housekeeping. In addition to the whole downtown area being within walking distance the DOT shuttle stops right in front of the hotel and will have you at the farthest most stop in 15 minutes. The Savannah visitor's center is right next door. If you're visiting Savannah and need the convenience of a Residence Inn suite make this your stop,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 8, 2010

This was my first trip to Savannah and had a nice time. The hotel is right off the exit in an area that is clearly trying to clean itself up. There is Courtyard across the street and they are opening a Springhill Suites a little further down the road.

The hotel itself is brand new. Very clean and really everyone working there was very helpful and nice. Oh and it is VERY dog friendly, great roaming areas and places to do their business. I know, all Residence Inns are dog friendly, but I have been to some where there is an edge towards the people who have dogs staying. There is a typical sized Residence Inn pool in the middle of the courtyard with lounge chairs, a fire pit and a couple of barbecues.

A few things though- when you walk outside the hotel after a rain shower or if it is early in the morning it SERIOUSLY has a nasty smell. I have no idea what it is but it was gross. If you drive about 2-3 minutes to the right of the hotel on MLK Ave it is a real bad area. The houses are dilapidated and I wouldn't suggest pulling over there. However, if you keep driving you pop into nicer areas (kinda weird).
Last thing, it as clear that the floor were never mopped in the kitchen and the bathroom. There was 2 stains on the kitchen floor when we checked in and they were still there when we checked out. The bathroom was equally questionable.

I would suggest staying here for the walking convenience to river st, broughton st and to see all the beautiful homes, in addition to the great staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 22, 2010

It does get much better than staying at this hotel. why pay $200 or more at River Street hotels that don't even get close to this Residence Inn near the Visitor Information Center.
Don't let the location bother you, because it is safe. Free hot breakfast to die for and nice free meal & snacks at evening.

The best of all is the staff at this hotel. The staff will treat you like a king or Queen. They go out of their way to make sure you are care for. My kids loves the staff and staff even remembers them a year after their first stay at this hotel.

Anyway, it is the best place in Savannah, and if you truly want a clean and friendly place to enjoy during your stay, this is it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 months for business. The experience was the best I have had during at least my last 2 years of business travel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in every way. The manager's receptions Monday through Thursday evening were an excellent opportunity to pass the time and meet with some of the most interesting people I have ever met. Chrystal, who worked at the bar, is someone who I now call a friend as she showed a tremendous interest in the residents and took the time to get to know all of us who were here for extended periods of time. Being a local she was also a tremendous resource in recommending different and wonderful places to dine. The facilites were fabulous, clean, and in good working order. The breakfasts were also excellent as were the kitchen staff. The location was also fabulous, taking only about 20 minutes to walk all the way down to River Street. Downtown Savannah is a wonderful place to visit, with many exceptional restaurants, micro beers, and entertainment. Oops, don't let me forget the valet parking staff who were also excellent, having my car ready for me in the morning with windshields and headlamps cleaned, and running to get it cooled down. Bottom line, I cannot give anything but praise to this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
South Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night. When we first arrived, I will tell you I was very disappointed in the location because on the website, I guess I just pictured it to be in a better area and in my opinion it wasn't! However, it ended up being very nice on the inside and gace the feeling of seclusion. There was a hip little pool/social/fire pit area. Also they served free beer, wine and appetizer in the evening, and free breakfast. Everything here was nice! There was a free transportation bus that ran from the hotel to basically any of the tourist attractions you want to go to, so that was a huge benefit! It ended up being a great place to stay! If we ever go back to Savannah, we probley would stay here!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple