“Great Hotel for traveling with friends!”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #22 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My party traveled to Savannah for St. Patty's and couldn't be happier. While the location for this hotel is not ideal, being on the border of a sketchy area, it is certainly within good walking distance for those able to do it and we never felt insecure, although we did not travel alone unless by taxi. That entire area is obviously being worked on, so it will be interesting to see it in a couple of years.Having the little min-mart next door was perfect! The rooms were spotless and perfect size for the 4 other women I traveled with...but the staff, they deserve the big kudos. Every single person we came in contact with greeted us cordially and kindly. The front desk was always helpful with our questions. My only suggestions for the hotel would be extra mirrors in the bedrooms. Women need mirrors! Also more wastebaskets and trash bags supplied in suite. The only problem we really had was regulating the room temperature. It took us a couple of days to get it right, but I think that was just differences in preferences with my party. Plus Savannah was unusually chilly that week. The breakfast was an unexpected pleasure. Wish we had taken time for the complimentary happy hour! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Our stay at this hotel was wonderful. It was convenient to everything, and had the suite we were looking for in traveling with our young son. However, the best part of the hotel cam in the form of housekeeping and Asst. Manager Donna Crone. After being home for some time, I realized that I had not seen a couple of clothing items that I wore during our trip to Savannah. I took a chance and called the hotel, while not hoping for too much. The front desk put me in touch with Ms. Crone, she immediately looked at her computer, and saw that in the database, a bag had been turned in the day after we checked out. She retrieved the bag from storage, and my missing items are inside. One would not think that this was extraordinary service, but it was. Over the years, if any items were left at hotels, I never got them back.or I received a shake of the head and a half hearted effort to look. The process with the Residence was businesslike and friendly. Ms. Crone is to be commended particularly, as well as the housekeeping staff. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to take chance of being bumped from this hotel

I had a certificate for either a free Friday or Saturday night. I confirmed my reservation through the 1800 number. At check-in, I was told that my certificate had expired. I work in the travel industry, and I recommend you to steer away from this hotel unless you want to be homeless in Savannah.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank rsroth
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I have never felt the need to review a hotel before. Usually the hotels we frequent are average for the type of hotel they are. Mostly we pick places that are tried and true - no fuss and nothing out of the ordinary, but hopefully reasonable value for money. This time we expected the same kind of stay. Residence Inns are usually clean, roomy, reasonably located, etc. However, this one was exceptional, in a good way.

Its location is good, but not great if you want to be in the middle of the historic district. It is located off Martin Luther King Jr Drive just as Interstate 16 ends. It is just barely inside what is considered the historic district. It is a walk down to Broughton Street where the shopping is and then a few more blocks down to River Street where lots of restaurants are located. Having said that, the walk is not a problem. The street is well travelled and lighted all the way. We enjoy walking so it was not a hardship for us. We were not walking late at night (after midnight) but we did not feel uncomfortable walking at night.

Parking on the street around the hotel is limited but they do have valet parking for $12 a day and it is unlimited in and out. We only took our car out one day to go down to Tybee Island so we may have been able to park on the street but opted to use the valet parking. They were very responsive when we called and asked to have our car. Less than ten minutes from the time we called till we had our car.

The hotel is fairly new and the rooms are spacious, as in most Residence Inns. The distinction here is that the individual units are situated as in a hotel, the rooms open onto a central interior hallway, not like a lot of Residence Inns where the units tend to look more like apartments and all the entrances are open to the outside. I felt like this would be a really good place for women staying alone - it felt much more secure than when the rooms are all open to the outside.

So, what makes me want to recommend this hotel when I don't normally do reviews? The STAFF! We did not encounter one surly, unhelpful person the entire time we stayed, which was three days. At the desk they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. When we checked in they provided information about the area, without our asking. The lobby area was inviting and clean. There was an evening social time from 5 til 7 that included food (different every night - salad and chili one night, pasta one night and cheese and crackers and munchies one night) and drinks (wine, beer, soft drinks). The bartender was talkative and friendly. The breakfasts were plentiful and the staff at breakfast was outstanding. They greeted people individually, remembered people from one day to the next, made every effort to have food hot and ready. We were late getting down to breakfast the first day (arrived just before 9 and they stop serving at 9:30) and most things were gone. However, in less than ten minutes everything was filled and available. My husband is not known for his patience and one of the staff noted his displeasure. She promised him it would be right out and spent the next two mornings assuring him that there was plenty of food and he would be well fed. She handled it just perfectly. (The key was to get there a little earlier before the families tended to go to breakfast.) The point being that it could have been a negative but the staff made it into a positive situation by using humor and following through and making everything okay for the guest.

It was a pleasant experience every day and we were able to start out the day on a positive and up note, and end the day in the same way. I would definitely stay here again and have no problem recommending it to others.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VMJengland
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Staff is very attentive and goes out of the way to serve you. Complimentary Valet Parking with gated overnight parking. Hotel is located away from the riverwalk area, but is next to the fare-free Savannah DOT shuttle stop to the riverwalk. Free wireless and wired Internet access. Rooms are very comfortable, with a lot of space. Hotel buildings are in a quadrangle type, with all windows facing inside. Swimming pool and patio are inside the quadrangle. Southern Type cottage rooms with balconies are also available. Some of the doors of these cottage rooms face the street.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank enatal
Reviewed September 15, 2009

This new hotel is on the outskirts of the historic district. The staff was great and very accomodating. Mon-Thursday they have a managers reception 5-7 with free wine, beer and lemonade along with several appetizers. A couple of things were on the down side. The first they had on the amenities conventional oven, which was 2 on top burners. They did offer gas grills if needed. Also they have a hot breakfast spread which was really good. Since the hotel was on the outskirts, it wasnt walking distance to the river walk. They do have the DOT which now comes to the hotel. Its free and it runs to 8 or 9pm. I would like to see more businesses in the area. I would definitely return to this hotel. The service, staff and hotel were AWESOME. Everyone was professional and expressed geniune customer service. The grounds were gorgeous. We stayed in the cottages off the hotel. Very private and charming. Alot of history in Savannah!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

From the time we entered the hotel, we were guests. The staff was eager to serve and to please. They went out of their way to make sure that we were accomadated in every way. Our experience from the Manager, Desk Clerk, Maintenance Staff, Valet Parking and the Kitchen Staff was that of a Five Star Hotel and in alot of ways, better. This staff was sincere. At the end of our first day, we felt like family. We were in Savannah for our Wedding in Forsyth Park. This "team" made our stay so special that we will not hesitate to return and spend our First Anniversary there and maybe even before. My husband and I travel alot and feel that we really hit the jackpot with this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple