Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #24 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We came into Savannah a little early for our trip down to Tybee Island with our family. We had a great stay with a very comfortable room and great breakfast! The breakfast ladies were so nice and said a wonderful "Good Morning" to everyone that came down. The front desk and valet were delightful as well!! It was a little further walking down to River Street than the 20 mins they told us but we still did it and just took a taxi home after having a couple drinks at the outside bar the "Warehouse"....lots of great people watching, shopping and sites. All in all the hotel satisfied our needs and was great for the night!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank banny61
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2014

banny61 - Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

As a valued customer, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a great stay. With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting, but exceeding your expectations.

Your feedback is integral to our ability to continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your time and come visit us again soon

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not the optimal location in the historic district. However, the property is beautiful, and the friendly staff makes up for the location. It's about 8 blocks to River Street. We took a cab from the hotel to River Street for $10 including tip and walked back. The room was large and very clean. The bed slept well. The only down side is the shower. The water jumped from scorching hot to ice cold, and there is nothing in the bottom of the tub to make it slip proof. Good free breakfast with good variety. All in all it was a good stay.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

blcpearl - Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District. I am glad that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our location convenient. We look forward to having you as a loyal guest and will see you on your next trip.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My fiance and I spent the weekend in Savannah and enjoyed this facility. The staff were friendly and attentive. The room was spacious and clean. I enjoyed having the breakfast included. The pool was wonderful and the grounds included a fire pit, a fountain and a gazebo. I missed having a hot tub, and that's probably a regional difference. Most Residence Inns that I have visited have had hot tubs along with the pool. Tough to find at first. GPS told us we had arrived, but it was actually about 1/2 block away. Walking distance to everything.

Room Tip: Main building
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

CCIdogTraveler- Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District. Our goal is to provide a unique and memorable guest experience, and I am glad that you and your fiancée found our staff friendly and attentive, and our fire pit, fountain and gazebo enjoyable places to relax. We take great pride in serving our guest and are delighted to hear that we met your expectations.

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott! We look forward to having you as a loyal guest and will see you on your next trip.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We just returned from our stay, and I couldn't wait to let everyone know about this delightful place...however, it isn't perfect and after reading other reviews, I think it's worth clarifying what this property is, and is not.
It is:
*Beautiful and quiet
*Right next to the Railroad Museum, the Visitor Center, the SCAD bookstore (awesome!) and the Central location for all trolley tours.
*Within walking distance to the historic district and restaurants.
*A bargain
It is not:
*A B&B on one of the squares or in the shopping district. You have to be OK with walking a few blocks to the historic district, and on your way, you will probably encounter street people asking for money.

Our family loved the beautiful courtyard and pool, our adorable clapboard cottage, and the happy hour every night, where we enjoyed pasta, hot dogs, chili, and plenty of beer and wine.

We would definitely stay here again! It's a great place, but maybe not for everybody.

Room Tip: The cottages are adorable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SteelCityCampbells

SteelCityCampbells-Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to Savannah.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Without a GPS, Residence Inn is not easy to find (--driving tips at the end of this), but it's worth looking for. The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable, as always with this chain. The staff here is especially friendly and helpful -- the lady behind the desk in the evening, the two doormen/parking valets both day and night, the lady who presides over the breakfast area -- each is eager to please. The swimming pool is in a garden area, flanked by more rooms in cottage-style quarters. You'll need to use the valet parking in a locked lot, since the Inn is on the edge of a depressed area just to its south, but you shouldn't encounter any problem. THREE TIPS--FIRST: Don't confuse the historic downtown Residence Inn with Savannah's other, listed as "Midtown." The latter is probably five miles away and not convenient at all to the historic area. SECOND: It seems to me the price goes up 50% on rooms for the weekend, vs. mid-week, when I check the Marriott web site, but that's still within reason for Savannah's appeal. FINALLY: I couldn't find any street sign identifying Charlton, which is only a block long. So... looking for the Residence Inn, it's just south of Savannah's Visitors Center on MLK Blvd. The short side street is between a Supron gas station and the brick Capitol City Bank building, on the west side of MLK. As soon as you turn into that short block, you'll see Residence Inn on your right. I'm glad I finally found it. Had a good weekend there.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

oaktownboy_37 - Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days with my daughter and her baby while she packed for a move. The hotel was very clean and exceptionally quiet. The desk staff was great and the breakfast was wonderful. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. I valet parked the car most of the time and they were great. It was indeed a delightful experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

AnnetteTravels8 - Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District. I am glad you found our hotel to be clean and quiet for you and your family and that you had a "delightful experience". We take great pride in serving our guest and are delighted to hear that we met your expectations.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

My 19 year old daughter, husband and I stayed here for four night while visiting Savannah. The location of the hotel is great - right on the edge of the historic district. Very close to where the sightseeing trolleys depart and only about a 10-15 minute walk to River and Bay Street.

We arrived at the hotel around noon and were told our room wasn't ready so we left our luggage and went off to check out Ms Wilkes for lunch (a must do in Savannah!). We returned around 4 pm to be told that the hotel was completely sold out and that our room wasn't ready yet. We probably didn't get into our room until closer to 5 o'clock but received apologies from the manager for the delay and a $50 credit (yippee!).

Since we were going to be there for a while and we have an adult daughter, we opted for one of the two bedroom suites. Nice rooms with each bedroom having its own bathroom and the common area having a sofa (my daughter loved it my husband hated it), a chair, a desk, a small table with two chairs, a stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and full-sized fridge.

The rooms were clean and quiet and it was nice to be able to work on my computer in the mornings while my husband and daughter slept.

We hit the breakfast buffet every morning - the woman manning it was so pleasant and friendly despite the hordes of folks descending upon her like a swarm of locusts. There was hot food (scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, hash), oatmeal, several cold cereals, yogurt, fruit, juice, toast, muffins, bagels and English muffins.

The manager's reception is held Monday thru Thursday so we only were able to go the night we arrived and frankly we were so full from Mrs Wilkes that I only ran down to grab a beer (Genesee Cream Ale - yum).

There is a gas station located right next store were you can pick up some basic supplies - funnily enough they don't sell containers of 1/2 and 1/2 or seltzer water both of which my husband requested. They do, however, have a most impressive walk in cooler filled with adult beverages. Didn't buy any so I can't tell you about the prices.

Never used the fitness center but did poke my head in - looked clean. Did use the pool several times. Warm water made me happy but they ran out of towels a lot - but they brought them out as soon as they were washed. Perhaps they should invest in a few more.

I was disappointed by the fact that I remembered leaving something in the room and called the hotel the next day to check. They promised to get back to me, but never did.

We were also disappointed when we returned to the room around 5:30 to find it had yet to be cleaned - I called to ask about it and was told they were running behind because of all the folks who had checked out that day. The maid did appear eventually but everyone was resting so I just got some clean towels and left it at that.

One thing to keep in mind staying here is that the taxi service in Savannah is very slow - especially compared to places like NYC. We had to wait at least 15 minutes both times we called for the cab. The fare to/from the airport for three people was $38 plus tip each way.

1  Thank cab514

cab514-Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

I am glad you found our location convenient and our staff friendly and informative. With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. As a valued customer, your feedback will be shared with the team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service.