“Best Hotel in Savannah”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #22 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is nothing negative that could be posted about this place. Staff is incredible from valet, to bartender, to housekeeping and front desk. Rooms are huge and clean. The location isn't terrific but close enough to walk to everything in the daytime. We will return for sure!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew L
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I want to tell you about my experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Savannah, GA. I stayed there 6/29/13 to 7/3/13 with my 12 year old daugher. We were there for my daughter's dance competition. This is the second year that we've stayed there. We checked in on Saturday and right before going to bed, I opened the night stand and found a condom box with one condom in it. I also found an opened wrapper with lubicant all in the drawer. I was so mortified by this that I did not sleep in the bed. I used the pullout couch, which had pee stains on it. At this point, I had to weigh my options of which was worse. It was also very uncomfortable for my daughter to find condoms in her room. We were both extremely grossed out by this. The next day, I notified the manager which I had to wait quite awhile for him to see me. He offered to change rooms or comp my room. I had already unpacked all my belongs which was a lot. He also told me that the customer before me had been there a month. Now, I am getting even a worse picture in my mind of the room. I decide to search the room thoroughly and I find a bar napkin with a girls number written on it. I am completely grossed out by this point. The guy in the room before me has been staying here a month bringing random girls back to his room having sex. The worst part is obviously the hotel staff did not clean the room properly. The next thought is what else did they not clean. I had the room recleaned while I was there. After all of this, when I was checking out, I requested a late check out. My friend had just asked and the attendant said yes. However, when I asked, she rudely said no. I tried to explain that with everything that I went through with this hotel, don't you think you could accomodate me? But the answer was NO. After this experience, I will never stay at a Marriott again. I travel quite a bit with dance competition and we always have several options. I will never choose Marriott again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kim S
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write a review of your stay! apologize that you were not satisfied with our service. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and it is very disappointing to know that you were not happy with the service you received at our hotel.

I apologize for the items that were left in your room from the prior guest. Both our room attendant and the supervisor missed it when checking the room and I simply cannot offer any excuse for this. We did not charge you for your first night at our hotel because of this. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping staff. We will make sure future guests do not experience the same issues.

I regret that we were not able to offer a late check out to you. As I explained when we spoke we try to handle as many requests as we can however we simply cannot extend a 1:00 PM checkout to everyone, especially large groups We are more than happy to store your luggage for you and have rooms accessible for changing clothes if needed.

We enjoy hosting your group every year. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. I hope that when you return next year you will stay with us again and experience the quality service and accommodations you deserve and expect from Marriott hotels.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Recently stayed with a group of Girl Scouts. It was my first time to stay in a Residence Inn. It was beyond my expectation! Very friendly staff, very accommodating and the perks were beyond belief. Free Continental breakfast was great and the M-Thurs. lite fare and drinks was also a bonus! Especially loved the location--next to the visitor's center--and within walking distance of everything Savannah has to offer! Would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Savannah!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were very nice. Had an issue with the sofa Ed where it had the sheet from the previous guest in it which was kind of gross. The manager was very kind and apologetic. Credited me some MR points which was a very nice gesture and appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The people were all very nice. Besides the one issue, rooms were clean and well maintained with relatively new furnishings. Beds were very comfortable.

The pool was awesome with a really nice historic feel. We felt like we were in a nice little historic village which was cool.

Valet was very quick and friendly as well.

• Stayed: June 2013
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thanks for being our guest and taking the time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor! Again, I apologize for the issue with the sofa bed, however I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I have shared your comments with the room attendant who cleaned the room as well as the entire housekeeping staff. Your feedback is such an important tool for us as we strive to deliver each and every guest a perfect stay in every way! Thanks again for choosing our hotel, we look forward to you being our guest again!

Donnie Morgan

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Not only is this property charming in its appearance, but it is clean, well appointed and has a great, friendly staff. The decor is modern and the bar/ breakfast area is very homey and accessible. The pool area and quaint courtyard is a lovely place to sit and relax near the fountain or swim and lay out by the pool.
I was first concerned about the location being at the edge of the historic downtown area, and I was alarmed at first with the gas station/ quick mart next door. The quick mart was actually handy to buy drinks and snacks to keep in the kitchen. The hotel is next door to the visitor center (which houses a museum and gift shop) where the tour trolleys pick up and next to the railroad museum that has a round house for trains (super cool to see- you can check it out without paying to get in). The hotel is also right next to the site of the bloodiest battle of the American Revolution and there is a memorial there. We were a 10 to 15 minute walk from river street. Yes, it got a bit tiring, but if you can handle walking it is great. We thought it helped burn some of the calories we took in with the over-abundance of southern food and drink( you can walk around with a cocktail in the historic district). If you don't want to walk, just take the DOT system or call for a golf cart or taxi.
We stayed in a suite. We had three people in our party and slept with a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. The queen mattress was very nice to sleep on, but the sofa was not. It was uneven and very difficult to sleep on. The bathroom was also difficult for three adults. The sink and mirror were outside of the toilet and shower area but it was right next to the queen bed. I think the room, as a suite, could have been roomier for three adults. The kitchen was very nice with a dishwasher and a full size refrigerator.
Hot breakfast was different each day with items such as biscuits and gravy, egg burritos, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, canadian bacon and potatoes sauteed with bell peppers and onions. Each morning they had standard continental breakfast items such as yogurt, granola, oatmeal, cereals, bagels, english muffins, bread, muffins. A waffle machine was available to make your own waffles, milk, juice, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. There were many places to sit inside the kitchen, lobby and outside by the pool.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mmm10

We are so glad that the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District was your hotel of choice while visiting Savannah. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay and we appreciate you taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. As you pointed out, our location provides easy access to historic venues, restaurants, bars and shopping. If you are not up for walking the DOT shuttle is a great, FREE alternative. I appreciate you mentioning the friendly staff, I will be sure to share your feedback with them. Thanks again for being our guest, we look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here - and it is a good walk to the Historic District - but doable - especially if you do walking on a regular basis. We choose this hotel because it was a little outside the 'inner circle' so to speak - so we got a pretty good rate. I knew the parking issue ahead of time - so was prepared for that. We walked back from the historic area several nights after 10pm - and we felt very safe.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FLACruiser3
savdv, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

We appreciate you being our guest at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District as well as sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. As you may know downtown Savannah is the largest historic district in the United States. There is so much to see! If you are not up for walking the district, there are several trolley tours which offer great historical information about the city in addition to some local folklore that is interesting as well. The trolleys all depart from the Visitors Center located next to the hotel. We hope that when you return to Savannah you will be our guest again! Enjoy your summer!

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel and the employees were very friendly. On the outskirts of historic district, but easy to walk to everything. A few blocks walk to the tourist areas. There is a pool with sitting areas around it in a cute courtyard. Yes, exercise room. No hot tub. Rooms very spacious. My only comment, the bathroom is right next to the bed. There is a door for the shower area, but not the sink area. So, the light in the sink area lights up the whole bedroom. Not a problem if you are by yourself, but disruptive to all other sleepers if you are not.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown Historic District. We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your lodging needs while in Savannah! I appreciate the comments regarding the friendly staff. I will be sure to share these comments with my team in our morning huddle. Thanks again for being our guest! We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon!